“Kalahari compared to the Wilderness”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
A TripAdvisor Member
“Kalahari compared to the Wilderness”
Reviewed April 11, 2004

There were many things we liked and some we disliked about the Kalahari. My 5 and 8 year old were along and we liked the fact that the Kalahari had planned activities for kids throughout the day; (The Wilderness could add some to their agenda. However, the Wilderness has an awesome dry play area and the Kalahari does not.) Best of all the activities were free of charge because everything else seemed to be overpriced. Hair braiding was available but for $20 a braid we decided to hold off. I liked the atmosphere at the Kalahari; everything is safari themed. The rooms were nice, but standard. Our window overlooked a gravel rooftop. Towels were difficult to get a hold of; you had to get one from the desk before entering the pool area since none were available there, and then wait in line to get one. Inside my room there was a sign which said do not take towels to the pool area. Then there were employees wearing gloves who went around picking up towels and mine got cleaned up while sitting in the hot tub. (The Wilderness allows you to pick up as many towels as often as you need out of a bin by the pool). Then I left a gift store bag sit on a chair while I went swimming and when I returned it was gone along with my daughters coverup. I learned not bring any personal belongings to the pool area--when I mentioned it to the desk they told me to check lost and found. The lockers were another joke. You have to give a $10 deposit to use them and after going to put a quarter in I found out that I have to go wait in line at the desk to get a key to use one. (The Wilderness has the quarter charge lockers, I like this better). I liked the slides and water activities better at the Kalahari because they are too spread out at the Wilderness and again the atmosphere of them at the Kalahari is nice. The Kahalari's Sweet Hut has great ice cream; the Wilderness needs to add this. The gift shops at the Wilderness are well stocked; the Kalahari needs to improve on this; they missed out on a huge sale because they did not have the right size in shoes or clothing. Overall, my experience was not the most relaxing, but I would probably go back despite the things I feel they could improve upon.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Reviewed April 5, 2004

This is the greatest place to stay because there is something for everyone to do, even the little ones

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2004

We had such a great time!! After reading some reviews here, I was a little nervous. We arrived on a Friday Afternoon..we got their early but our room was ready. We went straight to the waterpark. There were no lines..everything was clean..the lifeguards were super friendly. We just assumed that Saturday would be packed..it really wasn't. I never waited in a line longer than 2minutes. Also..if you are staying at the resort..you can go to the waterpark at 9am..the park doesn't open to the public until 10am. We reserved a Desert room..the room was good size..and had a refrigerator and microwave.It also had a safe. Every day there were special kids events planned. We ordered room service a few times and it was wonderful..the people were soo nice. We will be going back for sure. We didn't have one single problem.It was a great vacation experience!!!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2004

What waterpark can you take a family of five to and stay overnight for $99.00? The service is great the resturants are fairly priced. days.
The Wilderness Resort can take a lesson from Kalahari housekeeping. The front desk could too.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2004

We just got back from our trip 3/19/04. We stayed in four diff. water parks. First we went to Treasure Island their rooms were'nt great but the water park are pretty good, the Great Wolfe Lodge are great too & also the Wilderness Resort but if we are going back there again I will pick Kalahari Resort. Everything were just so cool , the place was very impressived.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2004

My family and I took our summer vacation at the Kalahari resort in 2003. Best hotel ever. The waterpark was a big hit with my 13 year old son and his 10 year old cousin. My husband and I enjoyed the lobby and all the restaurants and cafes to sit and enjoy the scenes from. In fact we are going again this summer 2004. We give it 5 stars.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2004

The Kalahari was a great place to stay, I have a lot of negatives, but most were just minor, little suggestions to the owners on how to make it even better Positive - Waterparks are huge for a hotel - waterparks offer unique rides, not just the normal slides, and most are pitch black! - continously expanding - lots of places to eat, lots to choose from, simply put it on your "tab" - lobby is huge, air conditioned, and relaxing - big rooms, with a pull out bed that is also a couch, not a necessity, but ends up working out very well - Theatre and restaurant on property -So many shops: theres a "coffee shop", "bar + grill", "fancy restaurant", "candy store", "Fast food place", "African gift shop", "convenience store", spa, bars in teh waterparks, hot dog stand, DIPPING DOTS! business centre, and I'm probably forgetting about more - Large game room, and free ping pong tables outside - good atmosphere in outdoor waterpark, with live DJ

Negative - waterparks aren't open late enough (particularly indoor one) - indoor waterpark and outdoor waterpark aren't connected well enough - indoor body slides have ridges that really seem to hurt your back, strangely the outdoor body slide is fine - bar in the indoor waterpark seems to just open at random times - wristbands exchange doesn't work too well, since this 20 second transaction at the front desk it stuck behind 10 minute check ins - a LONG walk to your room from central point - outdoor water park needs more umbrellas - not the best location, but Wisconsin Dells is so small I could care less

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member