“Wisconsin Dells are not Norman Rockwell’s America any longer.”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Tifton, Georgia, United States
“Wisconsin Dells are not Norman Rockwell’s America any longer.”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had stayed at Kalahari prior and it was very nice so we decided to take out parents their for their 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Wisconsin Dells had an appeal to us as being a truly family oriented vacation spot and represented old traditional America. When we spend our money for vacation we want to be safe, have fun and have very nice surroundings. Our recent stay was our last at Kalahari signaling the end of this once great part of America.

From the moment we arrived it was a disaster starting with checking in. Our reservations were disputed I was required to unpack the car to get our Mac to prove our email confirmation. Kalahari reluctantly acknowledged our vacation package. The entire original booking conversation was recorded on the phone and our credit card charged but we were delayed, disputed and treated unprofessionally. The supervisor never came out to apologize for the 30 plus minute delay and aggravation. Our party of six paid for the very best rooms and services Kalahari had to offer. The room was about a 6 in a scale of 10 in cleanliness. The kids wanted to get into the pool right away however it was closed due to buses of “youths” that were brought in. There was so much urine and defecation in the water the pool was closed. In addition to the obvious hygiene issues from the bussed in guests; we were very disappointed in the urban behavior and vulgar language the “youths” exhibited. The pool was closed a second day for another incident due to a claim of broken glass and other issues from guests that were not staying at the Hotel. I appreciate Kalahari being safety consciences not allowing my family to swim in a toilet, or with broken glass but I could have gone to a pool in Illinois for a fraction of the cost. The sliding doors were broke in our hallway and the front rotating door went down. The lines in the facility and indoor amusement park are congested due to guests that do not stay at the Hotel. The Tommy Bartlett Show was the high water mark of the Kalahari package. We would also still recommend the Duck rides. If you go out at night to show your kids and family the boardwalk take advantage of Wisconsin’s conceal carry laws, the boardwalk is not what it was from years ago. Sadly Kalahari and the Wisconsin Dells are not Norman Rockwell’s America any longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sarrah G
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We very much appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. I am sorry to hear about your past experience. As I was able to pinpoint your stay by your TripAdvisor profile, I am hoping that you can provide me with your contact info and I can look further into this for you. Can you please email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com? I would love the opportunity to connect with you. Thank you for reaching out to us and I am very sorry to hear about your past stay. I am looking forward to connecting and working through some concerns. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our Dessert Room for 2 adults + passes was $167.00. (It was much cheaper for Labor Day Monday than earlier that weekend.) I thought it seemed a bit steep since you have to check out at 11am, but you can still "stay and play" the whole day - just keep your bracelet on. (This didn't work for us since we had so much to pack.) We able to check-in early.

The outside water park is large and has a nice tiki hut where you can get drinks. The inside water park has a lot of slides, but I can see how it would get very crowded during any prime-times.

The other Kalahari offerings look really fun, but we did not use them since we don't have kids.

You cannot bring in food or drink (which i learned after the fact), so we spent quite a bit of money on drinks. We ordered a room-service pizza that was ok. Damon's was WAY TOO expensive for this US Location (not recommended).

This is DEFINITELY a great place to bring kids 8-10 and older! It is also best to stay at least 2 nights!

Room Tip: Dessert (cheapest) is big enough and really nice!
Green Features: I loved it that they recycled the soaps/shampoos. We re-used our towels, too.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We're excited that you were able to spend your Labor Day weekend with us. I'm also excited to hear that you didn't feel as though the park was too busy. Labor Day weekend is typically prime time, so that's great! If you return, we do have a Lodge Suite that has a full kitchen in it. That is very useful when trying to save some money. Hopefully this helps! Hope that we have the privilege of having you as our guests again soon! Take care and thank you!
Peru, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Had a wonderful time as we spent 3 nights at the kalahari. We purchased the "night out" package. This package was totally worth the price as it was an additional $80. The first part we received was a $40 gift card for one of the restaurants at the resort, so half of cost is returned to us. We also received 2 tommy bartlett show tickets, 2 timbavati tickets, 2 games of bowling with shoe rental, 2 indoor theme park tickets, and 2 monster drinks.

The only issue i had was that the lazy river indoors was partially closed 2 out of the 3 days we were there. It was better when we could travel the whole river, i had to paddle due to the current wouldnt push me through so i lost the enjoyment of "LAZY".

The outdoor waterpark was fine, had to carry the large raft up the stairs. I saw children struggling with this. Indoors they are automatically brought up on a conveyor.

Our room was nice with a balcony, fireplace, and plenty of space.

The whole resort was very clean throughout our stay.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on the top floor. Less noise from people running in the halls.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We're so excited to hear that you were able to celebrate your Honeymoon with us. Thank you so much for choosing to come visit us! I am sorry to hear about your frustration with the lazy river. As that is one of my favorite past times I can certainly understand. I will connect with our waterpark director to ensure we have the issues corrected. I hope that you were able to make some amazing memories with us! Hope to see you again for your anniversary! Take care!
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have returned to the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari resort many times over the past several years. Each time using a different type of room, mainly depending on how many of us are on the trip. Our favorite room type is the African Queen Suite, and we use that when we have 6 to 8 people. Very comfortable for that number of guests. All the rooms here are great, with the one exception being staying in the condo section across the parking lot from the main hotel. It is a long, long walk to the lodge and pool areas. The rooms are spectacularly nice, but with kids along, they hate being so far away.

The indoor theme park is a joy for the children and a bank breaker for the parents. Lots to do and the arcade games suck up tokens rapidly. The rewards being prizes depending on how many tickets you win. It probably only costs about $20 to win a $1 stuffed animal :-).

The food is good, but there are many great dining choices within a few blocks and many more within a few miles. A nice cheese shop across the highway is always a required stop for us each trip.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, not the condo units if available.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sparkie0491
It is such a privilege to have you as our guest time and time again. Thank you so much for continually visiting us and taking the time to review our resort. With everything under one roof, you are right, it can get to be quite a hike from some rooms. The African Queen Suite is a perfect choice though for families! Thank you for all the tips you provided for our future guests. So very helpful! We can't wait to see you again. Take care!
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We usually come to the Kalahari every year for a work convention that is family friendly. We didn't make it last year and were pleasantly surprised at the new additions to the waterpark. Hotel and whole property was very clean and well attended. Staff is always very friendly. We stayed in the Sands building which was nice but quite a hike to the waterpark so if you have little kids you will want to stay in main hotel. It was fine for my older kids but I wouldn't want to do that with babies! Thanks Kalahari!!

• Stayed September 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Well, thank you!!! We can't tell you enough how much we appreciate seeing you year after year. We're very excited to hear you enjoyed the additions. Hopefully you can come in the winter and check out the indoor/outdoor whirlpools- just awesome when its snowing! Thank you as well for passing along the tips to the our future guests. With everything under one roof, it can get to be quite the hike. We can't wait till we see you again next year! Take care and see you soon!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently stayed here on 9/2 on our way back home. Customer service was horrible at the front desk. They said that check in is at 4 but really you can't get into your room til after 5 pm. We took the shuttle that night and the man was rude. He said he was going to leave until he had to come and get us. I didn't find this to be welcoming at all to their guests. On checkout morning house keeping was knocking on our door at 8 am to clean it after I had already asked for a late check out. After all of this we went to go eat in the restaurant by the water park. The customer service here failed as well. They were rude and didn't want to answer any of our questions they would just point to the boards. I think that they need to improve their customer service throughout this hotel if they have workers getting annoyed of paying customers than there is a problem. I called the general manager to express my concern and have now left 2 voice mails and still haven't received a call back.
The water park on the other hand is amazing if I were to go back it would be for that alone. The rooms are nice and spacious but nothing worth 200 dollars a night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kala17
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for reaching out to us! I am sorry to hear about your stay and the customer service you received. That is unacceptable and not living up to our Kalahari promise. My team asked if you were able to reach out to me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com with your contact info. We would love the opportunity to connect and learn more about your experience. I hope that I have the pleasure of hearing from you soon. Thank you again for reaching out to us! Take care.
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had one more weekend vacation before my son was off to school. The Kalahari is very rigid in their offerings and very expensive. We weren't able to upgrade to a balcony in the main hotel and had to settle for a balcony with a view of the pool in the desert room building. Only, when we got there, we were on the first floor and there was no view. My husband was willing to go back and complain, but I was all settled and the kids didn't want to take the time to move, so we didn't. We had to pay for the amusement park, so the kids chose the ropes course only and we did other things. If the prices were lower here, I think business would increase. It was a little sad to see how things had changed too. The fresh cookies were served at 3PM and taken down immediately at 4PM and carted back, don't try to arrive at 4:05PM, they will be gone and no one will be willing to grab a few for you. I didn't see anything about the pictionary family fun gatherings that we had experienced in the past. The place seemed a little empty and if the prices were more reasonable, I think the place would be filled and more inviting.

Room Tip: They don't budge a bit on getting a better room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gwen_Illinois
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We appreciate the feedback and hope that they kids ultimately had fun their last weekend before school began. Thank you for letting us know your thoughts. I will be sure to pass along the info to our activities team. We still do lots of family activities within the resort. I will be sure that we are making that information known to our guests. Throughout the year, we do many wonderful specials. Hopefully you will be able to take advantage of one and come visit again soon. Thank you again for your time and hope to see the family again soon.