“This is the place to go with the kids!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Laguna Woods, CA
“This is the place to go with the kids!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My son and his family needed a vacation and I needed to see them after a year, so we all decided the Wisconsin Dells would be a good place to spend a few days together. I started researching resorts, but when I found out how much the Kalahari Resort offered, I didn't look much further. THIS IS THE BEST PLACE! I know I sound like a commercial, but seriously.. I compared this resort to several others and for the price they quoted me (last week of August), I was able to get an African Queen Suite, which is a 2 bedroom unit with a sofa bed in the living room (essentially sleeps 6) but the price was for 4, with 1 and 3/4 baths, plus passes to the indoor water park, outdoor water park, indoor theme park, plus extras like bowling, pizza, 2 breakfasts for 4, two $40 dinner credits, a massage at the spa, duck boat tour for 4, tickets to the famous water ski show and entrance to the wildlife park. Then, I joined in for 3 of the 4 nights, and also got to do everything THEY got to do except the bowling, breakfast and duck boat ride, and the total for all of us was only a little over $1,000. That included everything! What a fantastic deal when you consider what people pay for cruises (thousands of dollars) and don't have nearly as much to do nor as nice of accommodations. Our room was gorgeous, and the children were ecstatic. We adults also enjoyed the water activities and that water ski show was phenomenal. The food at the resort restaurants was also good (well, the pizza left a little something to be desired). The staff was really nice. Only a couple of minor complaints: Whoever designed these rooms forgot that people need closets! Or at least coat racks or hooks to hang clothes on, etc. There wasn't even a hook on the back of the master bathroom door! The ONLY place to hang clothes was a tiny little space behind the front door. Not adequate! Also the lighting in the whole place was inadequate. I tried ironing in the master bedroom at night, and the two wall lamps didn't throw off enough light for me to see what I was doing. And, the way they write up the pricing structure is confusing.. so it's difficult to actually figure out what it is you are paying, but in the end.. it's a great deal.. at least $100 a night less than what Mt. Olympus would have charged for the exact same room & activities, etc. Insofar as the theme park.. my son and grandson were slightly disappointed in the laser tag.. they said there weren't enough places to hide. We went from Mon to Fri and that was perfect. Very few lines, but we heard Labor Day weekend would be beyond crowded, so if you can.. go mid-week. We did have one of those frozen drinks in the swim up pool. Fantastic! The raft rides were fun, but hard on my senior body, but I actually went on the Sidewinder.. I'm nearly 68 yrs old, and I can tell you.. it REALLY gets the blood flowing, but my son said the Screaming hyena would have been better because the water doesn't get so much in your face. My 9 yr. old grandson never wanted to stop going to the The Toilet.. and my 12 yr. old granddaughter never wanted to stop going on the surfing rider thing. This is really an exceptional vacation for any family and the resort is exceptionally well run. Oh, my daughter-in-law used the massage ticket and said it was fabulous!

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the top floor and while we did hear some highway noise, it was never a problem...
Green Features: I was happy to see this, although the basket for recycle items was confusing as I am used to them being blue.. and these were not, so we messed up on that the first night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I really can't thank you enough for your review and taking the time to share your experience! Certainly our pleasure to have you! We strive to really provide a value and plenty amenities to our guests, and were just so thrilled that you noticed that. Certainly was the highlight of my day! Also, I am thoroughly impressed that you rode the Sahara Sidewinders. Brave! I can't wait to see the whole family again in the future! Thank you allowing us to be part of your memories! Be well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Check in, room, cleanliness of building, and activities of Indoor Theme and Water Park were exceptional. Our concern was with a few of the lifeguard staff and their lack of situational awareness and language barrier.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for coming to visit us. I'm glad to hear that everyone enjoyed their time and the facilities. I will be sure to share your concern with our waterpark director. I can assure you that we put our team through rigorous training and certification processes, however I will be sure to share your concern. I do hope that we have the privilege of having you as our guest again. Thank you and take care!
Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After not having a vacation for 2 years, we enjoyed this one very much. We placed our reservation about a month in advance. When we arrived an hour early, our room was ready. We stayed in the water park resort the 4th floor. The room was exceptional, plenty of towels and extras were appreciated. (refrigerator, hair dryer, coffee pot and iron board with iron, extra pillows) We went on the amphibious duck ride right away, picked up at the hotel. Received free tickets to the wild life park just 10 min away from hotel. The only thing we were disappointed by was the fact they closed the outdoor water park, did not have all you can eat buffet, which both was advertised. The ceiling fan in the room was not working but the air conditioner when it was on was very cold. Overall, we had an excellent stay and if we had the available time would have stayed an extra day to take advantage of all the resorts activities. (Wisconsin Dells, WI.)

Room Tip: Book a room with a Jacuzzi.
Green Features: The room temperature was set too cold when we arrived. We had to turn it off and wait at least 2 hours for a perfect temperature. Plenty of towels, no need to have to ask for extras.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon B
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed over Labor Day weekend, thanks to Kassie R who's name I got here, she had selected a wonderful room for our family of 4 in the Sands section. It is quiet and clean. I was very impressed with many of the employees here and the cleanliness of the resort. Activities and waterparks were perfect for my 10 and 6 year old. The issue was with the cleanliness of our room. 1st day no towels, toilet and tub never cleaned, second day the table where we ate in our room was never cleaned, third day housekeeping never even showed up, my husband called at 5:15 and said housekeeping stops at 5 but will send someone over. Well issue was we were tired and not in the mood really for someone to come and clean at that time ( given the excuse of it being a holiday with many checkouts...please take care of your guests that are staying!) anyhow talked to Richard the Mgr. very non chalant said I'll give you a 2 hr late checkout tomorrow. Didn't find that too appealing cause resort was empty after the holiday so that wasn't a huge stretch to try to make up for the issues. Anyhow Richard just didn;t care, asked who he reported to and he promised he'd call the next day. Well I did get a callon my cell but that is after I got home! still waiting to connect with him to see what he has to say. Customer Service is very important to us and one of the reasons we chose this resort, for what you pay I'd expect a bit more. Trying somewhere lese next time.

1 Thank travel2mex
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hi and thank you for giving us a shot! I'm sorry to hear the way it turned out. Would you please be able to email me your contact info? KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com I would love the opportunity to pinpoint where within our team we fell short. Thank you again for connecting. I hope that you did have fun within the parks! Looking forward to connecting soon. Take care.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the second time we went to Kalahari without kids. First time was at the Kalahari in Sandusky. I will say that the Kalahari in the Dells is ten times better than Sandusky. Mainly because of the outdoor waterpark and additional water rides. We have been to other waterparks, but Kalahari is the only resort that actually caters to both kids and adults. (I will say before I get too far in this review, they upgraded us to a Master Queen Suite, so we are a little biased)
Like I said, when we got there they immediately upgraded us to a Master Queen Suite. (I included a photo from our balcony in the review) I was a little surprised, and even said "why" before I could realize what I said. Ooops! The young gentleman behind the counter was not phased and asked me a few other questions, and we were on our way.
After we checked in, we hit the outdoor waterpark in perfect sunny weather. Since it was Sunday, mid-day, the park was probably less full than usual. This allowed us to wait a maximum of 5 minutes per waterslide. We definitely enjoyed the lazy river and did not find the water to cold. The park was adequately staffed, and we did find chairs with ease. The only downside is that there is not enough shaded areas. There are several lounge cabanas that probably cost a fortune. With only 1/8 of them appearing occupied, I was very tempted to sit down for awhile inside one. Obviously, they keep chairs less shaded to increase the rental of cabanas. However, I digress from our love for our trip.
So, after we rode a few rides, we decided to get some drinks at the swim-up bar. If you buy a large cup for a larger amount of money, you can drink and ride waterrides. The bartender simply holds on to your marked cup at the bar. You just have to make sure you return by close to get the cup. This way you can drink, ride, eat, relax, and drink a little more. I found the outdoor adults-only area very relaxing (hot tub), adjusted to the perfect temperature, and filled with less creepy people than expected (maybe one or two).
Finally, on the second day my wife and I went down a waterslide together (two-passenger yellow slide) and when we got to the very end, my head met her nose! Ouch! Luckily no blood in the water. However, she did have blood drainage, and slight swelling. I immediately found a "lead lifeguard." He promptly helped by retrieving gauze and an ice pack. We then went inside to get out of the sun so my wife could sit down and relax. While sitting in the indoor section, the medic/physician (unsure of his qualifications) noticed us and asked what happened. While being very friendly and non-intrusive, he offered to do a quick cognitive assessment to check for any head trauma (concussion). We were very happy with his thoroughness, suggestions, and for simply noticing. Even if it was to cover Kalahari's liability.
We live in Chicago and food and stay is priced just about the same as upscale downtown... so if you are not use to these prices be prepared for a higher price tag.
Overall, we had a very good time. We knew what to expect within a family atmosphere, and were still able to have some adult-time while relaxing.

1 Thank Zinsman33
Plainfield, Indiana
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been going to the Wisconsin Dells on Labor day as a family tradition for over 20 years, first my dad and I, now my family (3 year old and wife). This was our second year going to Kalahari. There are A LOT of good things that happened, but, unfortunately they were counteracted by the extremely negative things that occurred, Still, I give it a solid "Average"..

First arriving to Kalahari, WE really enjoyed the fact that they had "Safari guides" at podiums outside taking your name and finding out IMMEDIATELY if your room was available. That really was a time saver. A++! (Our room wasn't available, but still, that was OK, it was 2 hours prior to check in.

When we did check it, it was a smooth process, the lobby and common areas were/are very, very clean, front desk staff was excellent and extremely helpful. A+.

The room that we received was not what was expected, but it seemed OK. Long story short, the fridge in the room was not useful. The "freezer" section was overcome with ice and was not able to accommodate any frozen items. I called in a request that never got answered. Oh well..

Housekeeping: THE WORST we have ever experienced... EVER. Our housekeeper, ******, could not answer a simple question of: "Where is the ice machine?", Nor, could he deliver on, "will you provide an extra bar of soap”? He shook his head yes, and never did it. We stayed in a two queen room, and our 3 year old slept on the pull out couch. The pull out couch was not touched, bed wasn't made, and left completely unattended. Unacceptable. F-

(There is a section on Damons' restaurant that you can find on them specifically... Even though Kalahari now maintains full ownership,) This restaurant receives a F--.

Back on track! The games people over near the Ferris wheel were AWESOME! Lots of fun, high energy, very polite and professional! Roni at the register is a hoot! If you run into her, tell her Mark said "Hi!" :) A+++!

Waterpark: Indoor and outdoor, VERY clean, VERY well maintained. VERY nice! It is a GREAT experience. Chad, a supervisor also gets Kudos from us for his wonderful service. A++++++!!

So, sorry this went as long as it did, but I/We thought it's best to share the whole experience or just don't mention it. It is a very pricy resort, then again, it's the Wisconsin Dells, and a certain bit of higher prices are expected.. Service should just match 100% to what you pay.

Room Tip: You can request certain room types, you just have to pay more for the better ones. The hut rooms ar...
Green Features: Sure! Recycle! They have two garbage cans. That'll do it.
1 Thank Mark B
Hi Mark! First of all I wanted to thank you for making Kalahari your family tradition. While I'm glad some things were great, I am very discourage to hear about Damon's and your housekeeping. Both unacceptable. Can you please send me your contact info to KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com and I would love the opportunity to learn more. Thank you for reaching out to me! I do want to note, your A+ thoughts, I will be sure to pass along as well. Take care and hopefully speak with you soon.
chicago
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Kalahari last Thursday through Saturday and really enjoyed our trip. We had a package deal with lots of amenties included (breakfast, water park, theme park, etc.). Our kids really enjoyed the different areas they could play in and we enjoyed the fact that there were multiple places for our little ones to play. The breakfast buffet was outstanding - lots of different choices and the quality of the food was very good. The theme park was also fun. What I liked best about the Kalahari was you didn't feel like you were being trampled on by other guests - it was big enough and spacious enough that everyone could have a good time without it being uncomfortable. I would highly recommend the Kalahari!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lodge Suite which has a full kitchen with table for six - very spacious!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
So great to hear! Thank you so much for sharing! We can't thank you and the family enough for visiting us! More so, we're very excited that we may have the opportunity to see you again! Take for taking the time to review us. Take care and see you again.