“Clean, Plush, and Reasonably Well Done”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Omaha, NE
“Clean, Plush, and Reasonably Well Done”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Rooms: 5/5
Service: No comment
Value: 4/5
Cleanliness: 5/5
Pool: 3/5

I visited the Kalahari last year and enjoyed a lot, and returned this year, this time with a much cheaper room.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover a plasma TV and assorted other niceties in the clean, easily enjoyable room.

The food in the in-hotel restaurant, however, is rather abominable.

There is plenty to do at the Kalahari, from seeing a movie to swimming to eat assorted candies to just relaxing in your room.

It's a fun, friendly atmosphere, but definitely one I recommend more to families than any other tourist group. It has a lot of children running all over it and this doesn't allow for much privacy or peace of mind.

Families will enjoy it a lot, though, even if on a tight budget.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The 6 hour wait after arriving on time for the cleaning staff to finish with the room
1 Thank adamfangman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We just returned from a trip (6/30/08) to the Kalahari resort (Wisconsin Dells). Our review of the resort is very positive. We had stayed at the Wilderness resort the last couple of years (also positive experience), and just thought we would try something new. Looking at the Kalahari website, and reading reviews, we thought Kalahari would be fun for our kids (age 14 and 10). For us, staying over one night (i.e., two days of waterpark) is plenty.
• Check-in/lobby:
Upon arriving (around 2 pm), the check-in was very smooth. Our room was not ready at the time (check-in is listed as 4:00), but we were able to get our waterpark passes (we were able to get into our room by 3:00). One of the things that attracted us to Kalahari is the resort type atmosphere. When you walk in the lobby, you first notice the whole "safari" type theme with jungle animal statues, pictures, etc.. As we came in, they had an exhibit with 3 baby tigers (1 white tiger, 2 regular). It was a little outrageous that they wanted to charge $32 for a picture with a tiger cub, but there was no cost to look through the window cage at the cubs. The lobby also had things like the "Sweet Hut," a coffee/danish type shop, a gift shop, a glass blower making animal figurines, and a restaurant (there are additional shops farther in the resort).
•Room:
We were lucky to get a room very close to the lobby/waterpark. We had a "Hut" room (2 beds). The room was just fine. Clean, plenty of room, everything worked fine. Flushing the toilet is loud like an airplane toilet, but that didn't really bother us. When we called the front desk for more pillows, someone brought some up right away.
• Indoor waterpark:
We started in the indoor waterpark. We were pleased that the lines were not very long (i.e., we purposely plan our travel during off-peak days to avoid crowds). We especially liked the "Master-Blaster" (i.e., kind of a water coaster). It was fast and fun. Second favorite was the toilet bowl type slide. Some of the other slides are more mild. The FlowRider (waterboarding/surfing type ride) takes a couple times to learn to master, and the line/wait is usually a little longer, but it is a fun/unique experience. The wave pool is much more mild than the one at Wilderness, but this actually turned out to relieve some fears for my wife about our 10 year old getting hurt, and our 10 year old really enjoyed it (just ok for our 14 year old). The lazy river was just fine (like most lazy rivers), and it was nice that they had 5 indoor hot tubs. One thing I would note is that the floor in the indoor park can be slippery. My son slipped (while walking, not running) as we were heading back into the locker room and cut his knee, and I slipped and almost fell a couple of times. You would think that a waterpark would design a floor that is less slippery, especially when wet.
• Tommy Bartlett Show:
Kalahari is currently giving free Tommy Bartlett Show tickets to all guests. For those of you who haven't heard, the flooding in early June broke the damn and Lake Delton is completely drained. We did not know this until we walked down to our seats at the show and just saw a muddy lake bottom. Anyway, they did a real nice job of putting together a lot of good acts (acrobats, comedians, jugglers) to create a good show in the absence of the water show. The finale was a little lack-luster, but it certainly was a bonus for us to get these tickets included with our Kalahari room. We also admire Kalahari for supporting the Tommy Bartlett show after the floods/draining of the lake.
• Kalahari Outdoor waterpark:
On our second day, we were smart to get to the waterparks when they opened at 9 am (i.e., the waterparks open for Kalahari guests at 9 am and then open for the general public at 10 am). We were able to get on a lot of favorite rides with no lines. When we went outside, we found some fast, fun slides, along with some mild slides. One thing we didn't do but that I noticed outside was a real nice spash and play area for little kids (i.e., I didn't notice quite as much for the little kids at the indoor park). They also have some nice regular pools for swimming, water volleyball, basketball, etc..
• Life guards:
Compared to some places where I have seen many lifeguards, it seemed like Kalahari had areas covered, but with the minimum number of guards needed. For example, they would have one or two guards at the tops of the slides guiding people into multiple slides. There were often times when we didn't know when it was safe to go ahead down a slide (after someone else). Once you learned the system, it wasn't really a problem, but there is a potential for accidents. I also noticed in the outdoor "toilet bowl" type ride that another person/tube came flying into the bowl before I slid out. Again, not necessarily a problem, but could be a problem with larger crowds (i.e. I'm guessing they have more guards on busy days). I should mention that the life guards were friendly and helpful, especially the guard helping all the kids learn how to ride the boards on the FlowRider.
• Food:
One of the things included in our package was a 14" pizza and four drinks. I think you have options between the different Kalahari restaurants where you get this pizza. We had ours in the "Great Karoo" restaurant which has a view of the indoor waterpark. The pizza was very good, and our waitress was very friendly and attentive.
We purposely bring a cooler with food and drinks to cut down on the cost of food at the resort. All of the resorts overcharge for food, gifts, etc., and often times the waterpark fast food (hamburgers, etc.) doesn't taste very good (i.e., that was our experience at the Wilderness resort). By bringing a water bottle and a couple of candybars into the waterpark (even though they say no food allowed) we saved quite a bit.
For breakfast on our second day, we just bought some Krispy Kreme donuts (down in the lobby store - Expensive: $18 for a dozen donuts and a cup of coffee). The donuts along with our coffee and juice that we brought was just fine for our needs as we wanted a quick light breakfast so we could get to waterparks when they opened.
Our big meal of our stay was at Field's Premier Steakhouse (over by the Wilderness Resort). This is a first class restaurant. It is very expensive, but the food is incredible, and the service is superb.
• Arcade/shopping:
Our afternoon before we left included arcade for son/dad and shopping for daughter/mom. That worked out just great. For $20, our son had plenty of arcade fun. Mom/daughter enjoyed the shops. Our daughter bought a nice glass figurine from the artist as a souvenir, and she got an airbrush tattoo (which lasts about 5 days).
• Overall service:
We were generally pleased with the service. Staff members were friendly and helpful. My wife said she received a dirty look from the coffee shop girl when she didn't add a tip when buying donuts, but we general tip for service, not for someone just taking our money. Otherwise, no complaints.
• Overall value:
Our package, which I found through travelzoo.com, included one room (two double bed Hut room) for one night, four waterpark passes for two days, four tickets to the Tommy Bartlett Show, and a 14" pizza (I think one topping) and four drinks, for a total cost of $186 (that's including tax). I would say that is a pretty good deal, especially during peak season. Many of the extras (i.e., Sweet Hut, coffee shop, souvenirs, etc.) are overpriced, but that is to be expected at most resorts and can be minimized by smart travelers.
• Comparison to Wilderness Resort:
We had a great time at both resorts. I think each resort has something to offer. Wilderness had several different waterpark areas which required you to walk quite a distance to get to. It also had things like a laser tag area and a play area with little plastic balls. If you traveled during the colder months, I'm guessing that Wilderness has more little kid areas. Kalahari has more resort atmosphere in the lobby with the different restaurants and shops. Our kids rated the Master Blaster (Kalahari) as their favorite ride, but the Hurricane (Wilderness) came in a close second. In general, it seemed like Kalahari had more rides for older kids, but that could be debated. It was nice for us having just the two waterpark areas right next to each other, although, the Wilderness parks separated could possibly be helpful during crowed times. The rooms were pretty similar except the Kalahari room was slightly bigger. For our family, at this point, the preference for next year is to go back to Kalahari.
- I hope this review is helpful to others. I certainly appreciate the reviews I have read before making our travel plans.

• Liked — water parks, resort atmosphere (shops, restaurants, etc)
  • Disliked — shops are expensive (i.e., treats, coffee, donuts, etc)
6 Thank 1MNtraveler1
chicago
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Kalahari is really a disappointment. We statyed in the Wilderness lodge for two nites and decided to go to the Kalahri for a additional nite. Our check in was fine but our room was extremely small. We stayed in the Sands building and had a corner unit. The faucets in the shower were backwards and my 11 year old daughter almost scaulded herself. We were awoken before 8am by construction crews and the balcony was so hot from the morning sun you could not sit in the chairs without burning yourself. We stayed at this resort before and had a awesome time but this time we were so dissapointed. I told the desk clerk at check out about our compaints and was told to fill out a copaint card. Well nothing happened so I guess they rely on new bussiness and not repeat. I think I will try the Wilderness again or Great Bear.

• Stayed June 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Our family just returned from our third stay at the Kalahari Resort & Convention Center in Wisconsin Dells, WI. My daughters count the Kalahari as one of their favorite vacation destinations ever and we were looking forward to our return visit. Sadly, the lustre of this once top notch resort has worn off for this dad.

I made our reservation for our four night stay in early February, thinking that would allow plenty of time to secure the room I desired. When I checked in, I learned that I was being put in the “Sands of the Kalahari” building. This portion of the resort was an afterthought and is probably a half mile walk to the water parks. When I asked about my room placement, I was told that the inn was full and this is where my room would be. I was already unhappy but was made even MORE unhappy when I discovered that our room was surrounded by dozens of teen and pre-teen girls and their families at the Kalahari for a dance competition. The girls were loud and it took several calls to the front desk to get things settled down at night.

The water parks were nice but did not measure up to the old Kalahari standards. When we arrived at the outdoor park, we had to ask someone to bring out more tubes for my daughters and me. Seems to me that tubes go along with a water park and they should have been there. Inside, the park was not as clean as it once was. Because we were resort guests, we were admitted to the park an hour before opening to the public. We were literally the first people up the stairs on the Master Blaster and we encountered wads of gum and old Band-Aids on the steps. Clearly, no one cleaned the park the previous evening. By the way, once we got to the Master Blaster, we had to wait ten minutes for them to turn on the water. Maybe I’m a simpleton, but it seems to me that turning on the water at a water park might be a good idea! Additionally, the “Worlds Largest Indoor Waterpark” had only two rafts running on the Victoria Falls for the entire length of our stay. Seems to me that with all the money the Kalahari takes in, they might be able to afford another raft or two for one of their major slides.

One of the “joys” of staying in the Sands of the Kalahari building was that we got to traverse the “skywalk” several times a day for the five days we were there. That was fun because we could see how long it took for someone to vacuum the carpet. As of our departure on June 19, it was never vacuumed. There was dirt, paper, sprinkles from ice cream, cereal, etc. all over and it was never cleaned. I think the floor in the subway in Washington, DC is cleaner than the Kalahari skywalk!

Our room was OK. The beds were fine but the bedspread was rather “tired” looking. It was all pilled and felt kind of threadbare. Housekeeping never checked the in-room refrigerator when the previous guests left so they didn’t know that there was a bag of ice frozen solid in the freezer compartment. I worked at it for a while but wasn’t able to free it so we could use the freezer. The patio outside of our room hadn’t been swept in days and there was all sorts of trash and an old pool towel out there.

Overall, our experience at the Kalahari was just OK. It used to be so clean, so classy. Now it feels like they’re resting on their laurels and we should jut be grateful they allow us to stay. I’m in no hurry to return any time soon. I’d encourage my friends to try one of the other big resorts in the Dells. The Kalahari just doesn’t measure up anymore.

2 Thank Grand_Rapidian
Iowa
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Wow! This place was so much better then we anticipated, even though the pictures were accurate! What a wonderful, spacious place to stay for our family of 15! We each had our own room and didn't feel like we were "on top of each other". Even with our 5 month old baby, I felt I didn't need to tip-toe to the kitchen during the night to fix a bottle. This condo would be great for a bachelor/ette gathering, also. We recently stayed at Great Wolf and had two different (expensive) personal belongings stollen last year (with still no follow-up calls from property Mgmt).

At Kalahari, we enjoyed our condo so much for the three days and two nights we stayed there we didn't eat out once or leave (other then going to the waterpark one time - adults only). They even had a shuttle service come and pick you up to take you to the water park. Only suggestion I'd have to Kalahari is to have a secure entrance for the all the condos - can only get through with a vehicle if you have a room key.

Highly recommended!!!!

• Liked — The most comfortable beds - as close as you can get to yours at home!!! And how quiet it is!! The decor/atmosphere . . . I can go on and on!
  • Disliked — Security - open access to drive around the condos, but it is well lit at night and we all felt "secure"
1 Thank mzraap
O Fallon IL
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My family & I stayed there 25-30 May and had a wonderful time. We booked the Adventure package which allowed for an upgrade to the room (we were in a 2 bedroom suite) for $176.00/night after taxes. Package also included 3 certificates for free 2 topping pizza/ & four 16 ounce fountain drinks, 3 certificates for a $20.00 off each meal at the Kahunaville Restaurant and 4 certifcates for $20 each in tokens for on site arcade. Package also includes both indoor/outdoor water parks.

I'd first like to say that some of the previous reviews mentioned how rude the people/staff were at the resort. I found the entire staff to be very friendly and helpful. Treat people like you like to be treated and they generally return it in kind. That was my approach and it was warmly received by all. Front desk check in was very smooth, minimal wait. My certificates/tokens were ready at the desk. Room was great, overlooked outside water park. I do agree with some reviews that the mattress was too soft and the people above us were pretty noisy but other than that it was a very nice stay. First night, had trouble getting the AC to work in the room but one phone call asking for service, the guy was there in less than 10 minutes and had it fixed in no time. He stopped back a little later to follow up to ensure it was working properly. Team that made the beds and provided fresh towels were very courtesous, they stopped in twice while we were just doing some R&R and were eager to ensure we were happy with the service.

Both water parks were first class though rain and cold weather only allowed us to use outdoor park once. Plenty of towels and chairs available and life guards at all stations were friendly/helpful. I was surprised that over the Memorial Day weekend it wasn't more crowded so it was perfect for us.

Pizza in the resort was wonderful especially since it was free with the deal we had. It would have cost $29.00. Great cheese!

Kahunaville Restuarant had great food. We had cocunut shrimp, cajun chicken pasta, steak and stir fry. Nachos for an appetizer. $20.00 off each bill with our certificates made it taste even better.

Check out the new City Pass that has 9 attractions. $75.00 each after tax but worth it. Top Secret was included and that place is a rip off even if they only charged a dime. Family of 4 was there at same time and spent $48 total for the tour. Man were they angry at the end. I felt bad that they got swindled. Top Secret is a tourist trap on steroids that should be shut down because it is that baaaaaaad.

Desert Star Cinema is right next door, walking distance and we saw 2 movies since it was raining. Very nice place, rocking chair type seating, very comfortable.

Cracker Barrel restaurant just around the corner, ate there each morning, very good too.

• Liked — Resort/Water Parks
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ColJeff
Jeffk010
Reviewed May 31, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at this place awhile ago and really enjoyed ourselves. We just wanted a couple days away from the city and a place to stay with a nice room. We found it.

We had the jacuzzi suite which had a comfy king bed a fire place and balcony. We went during the dead season so we got a good rate on the room.

The indoor slides were great, given it was the dead season and during the week we literally had the run of the place. There was only 2 or 3 other people here at this time. We were able to let ourselves go and act like kids again. It was so refreshing.

We didn't spend much time on the property outside of the pool area or room. We did all our dining at local restaurants Moose Jaw, Pizza Pub, etc. Also spent an evening at the casino and did some shopping during the day at the outlet mall.

I realize this is a place for families and I can't imagine how it would be with hundreds of kids running around. However going during the week in the dead season was a brillant move. It was like having the place to ourselves and our little trip away turned out to be one of the most romantic trips we have taken. We may turn this into an every year trip. We didn't go there for romance but we found it.

We don't have kids but it's easy to see how cool this place would be for a family. However, I do beg everyone who stays here to get off the property and visit some local places. I would hate to see this big hotels dry up the entire area

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — You could hear the trucks on the highway from the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple