“Dirty room”

Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Iowa
“Dirty room”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm going to echo what a lot of others are saying about this place. We really enjoyed the water park, amusement area and our dinner at Damons. Our room was another story. It just was not clean. The coffee pot had old coffee sitting in the bottom it. The floor was filthy. By the end of each day, all of the bottom of our feet were black. There was spot next to the bed on my side that my foot literally stuck to every time I got into bed. And, the room smelled like BO. I know that in a place like this are you aren't just paying for the room, but for $330/night, we were pretty disappointed with the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We can't thank you enough for coming to visit and taking a moment to let us know your thoughts. Not having a clean room is completely not acceptable. I completely understand your disappointment. Furthermore, we appreciate you making us aware of it. We have noticed the concern as well and are implementing training procedures and checks/balances to restore the beyond expectations that Kalahari is known for. However, with that being said, that doesn't fix your recent past experience. I would like the opportunity to discuss details with you further about your stay. If you have a moment, can you please email me your contact info to KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I very much appreciate your time. Thank you again and looking forward to connecting with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent the 4th of July at the Kalahari. Our girls always love coming to this place. They offer great well-priced special packages and the waterpark attractions are always a blast. The indoor theme park offer a number of fun stuff (like the skywalk, rock climbing ) which my kids always enjoy. The rooms are clean, the staff friendly and the grounds are well laid out. I gave it a four since we find our food options limited as we normally end up at Damons or the Kahunaville and typically order the same item from the menu across our multiple visits. This time round however they offered a nice breakfast buffet at one of the other restaurants as part of the package and there were good options laid out that covered all our taste. The fireworks were magnificent!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We are so honored that Kalahari is your favorite Getaway! Also, thank you for selecting us to be included in your 4th of July plans. We hope you had a great time in the Waterparks and it sounds like you tried some of the attractions at the Indoor Theme Park as well. Besides Damon's and Kahunaville, I hope you were able to try a few other places like Ivory Coast, our Upper Deck Lounge, and our Waterpark Dining options as well as Java Manjaro for a quick bite to eat. Thanks again for staying with us and take care.
Barboursville, West Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Busy as expected during the 4th. the GOOD:Best fireworks I've seen in some time. Great weather and many things to do offsite with your kids.the AVERAGE:Waterparks not bad, but nothing to exciting, younger kids did have fun. Everything is over priced as always.Average room at 300.00 a night for two beds and half mile walk to the waterparks. the BAD: Men's pool lockeroom awful, always wear foot protection. Theme Park games broken but still open for business,rip off. Go Karts were a joke and very unorganized, long waits and they weren't busy. Pig Roast promo was a complete failure and poorly run. Kalahari is slipping down a notch.

Room Tip: Pot luck, good luck
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We're thrilled that you choose to stay with us for 4 of July. The fireworks were spectacular this year. Excited to hear that you enjoyed them as well. We appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to connect with our Indoor Theme Park Manager. We do have regular game inspectors that go through daily to ensure games are working correctly, but I will connect to see where the concern lies. Likewise, I will connect with our housekeeping on the Locker Rooms. We do have designated attendees that clean the locker rooms solely all day, so I will be sure to regroup with our team and go through expectations. I do hope you were able to enjoy the new attractions we added to the waterpark and the Indoor Theme Park. Thank you again for connecting with us. I hope that we see you again in the future.
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

As far as things in one spot this is a amazing place. Great indoor outdoor water park. Great indoor game and arcade area. A sweet bowling ally and even a movie theater. The hotel rooms are slightly dated in the main building but the walk from the new building is long. We stayed in the new area a couple years ago. My main complaint is housekeeping completely passed over the bathroom when cleaning from the last guest. Pretty gross. And they didn't offer anything to make up for the oversight. Other than that the staff was just ok. It seems like a place that could use new management to take care of some details and overall staff attitude. But the place as a whole is impressive. To s to do and not extremely expensive.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for staying at Kalahari Resort a second time. I am thrilled you had such a great time in the Waterparks and Indoor Theme Park. We appreciate your input about the rooms and continue to make ourselves better as a whole. Thank you for the review and take care.
Midwest
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent the weekend at the Wisconsin Dell's Kalahari Resort for a destination wedding and the place had something for everyone to do. Two huge outdoor water parks plus an indoor water park kept most of the younger family members busy and happy. There are bowling lanes, game arcade and an adjacent AMC movie complex that we never had time to try. We had decent meals at both the Ivory Coast and Damon's Bar and Grill restaurant, and there were a number of additional restaurants, bars and snack bars. They also provide a shuttle service to their 27-hole golf course where our wedding reception was held in the clubhouse. It was a beautiful setting and the food and service for the evening meal were excellent. They offer complete wedding packages with a number of extra perks that provided for an enjoyable experience for the wedding party and the guests. Rooms are available in a variety of sizes and features so that there were many options for couples and families, such as our two-bedroom, two-bath unit with patio and easy access to the outdoor water park areas. Our experiences with resort staff were all positive.

Room Tip: Check Kalahari website closely to find the type of room that best fits your needs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations to the Bride and Groom! I am so happy you enjoyed your visit to Kalahari Resort and were able to take advantage of some of the activities and amenities like the Waterparks. Also I am so happy you had such a positive experience at our Resort. Have a great rest of the summer.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Kalahari in May. We waited for the room to be cleaned before being able to be checked in. The room was dirty. The kitchen was worst. The windows were dirty and patio door was smeared with something sticky. Around all of the door knobs there was a film of dirt. We stayed in one of the double rooms witha fireplace and patio so it was not a cheap room. We requested an extra pillow from the front desk that never arrived. I left comments on my checkout sheet and also completed a survey they emailed me. I recently sent a email and still no response. No one seems to care. I've stayed here on numerous occasions and have always been happy. This was our last stay. There are many other options in the Dells.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mack1972
I am sorry to hear about your stay in May. I am also sorry to hear that you did not receive a response from our team. I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts here. I can certainly understand your frustration with your dirt Combination Suite. That is unacceptable and we are currently working with our housekeeping team to ensure all cleaning procedures and checks/balances are in place. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us fell short of this simple expectation. I do hope that everyone had fun in the waterpark during your stay and were able to take advantage of the new attractions we added. Again, I sincerely apologize for your last visit and lack of follow-up. I remain in hopes that we will see you again in the future. Take care!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were traveling with our 2.5 year old and this was the first time at this resort. We booked a Royal two room suite and were on floor 3 of 4.

Appearance: The first thing we checked was the cleanliness of the room; not the worst but could have used a vacuum job for sure. It was nice to have two completely separate suite areas, separated by a door. There was a significant amount of noise from above. Not sure if there are wood floors on the 4th floor but the chairs scraping over the floor at all hours was quite annoying as was the constant sound of water gurgling above my bed at all times. I am quite glad we had a white noise app on our phones to block these things out. I actually did call the front desk at 8 p.m. on night as it sounded as if suitcases or people were being dropped on the floor above us all the time and was told they would send security to see if it was excessive noise but quiet time didn't start until 10 (acceptable answer I thought). The safari theme everywhere is appealing to kids. A few places in the room were looking a bit worn but I'm assuming it's due to traffic.

Waterpark: Great for our 2.5 year old, lots to do. We did find it odd that the rules were clearly written in many places but ours was one of the few that had life jackets on. Also, my husband asked a lifeguard if he could go down a small slide with my son and she said no. 20 minutes later, someone else does go down the slide with their child and she just stared and kept walking. Rules seem to be only for some and not others. Plenty of towels and lifejackets seemed to be available but we had brought our own lifejacket for the kiddo.

Food: Buffet doesn't open until 8 which is odd for a place that has a lot of kids. We did eat at Ivory Coast for breakfast and had a wonderful server and great food. Not cheap, but big breakfast. We did carryout from Damon's - thought they were part of the hotel but were told by housekeeping/frontdesk that if we called them from the room phone we would be charged 75 cents. What? So we called them from our phone and were told when we picked it up we could charge to our room. Quite confusing. Food was good (did BBQ $40 plate mix). We had stopped for pizza slices right outside the indoor water park and I asked them if I could buy 2 slices of bread for my son as he only eats peanut butter and jelly. They asked if I had tried the restaurants and I said it was not on their menu. Grudgingly, they gave me two slices and then didn't charge me for them. At that point, I would have paid $4 for two slices just to make my kid happy. Poor planning on mom's part but odd you can't find pb&j at a kid's waterpark. A lot of people seem to bring appliances if they have kids and are staying a while. There is a fridge and microwave in the room but no freezer.

Price: Thought it was plenty high, but you did get admission to the waterpark as well as tickets to the safari park and the Tommy Bartlett show free. I was surprised you had to pay to get into the theme park.

Tips: Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Cracker Barrel and gas stations are nearby. There is also a Buffalo Phils nearby that has a train deliver your food - great fun.

We might try this again when my son is older so he can get more out of it.

Room Tip: Strongly suggest top floor so you don't have noise above you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. You provided so much great feedback for our team as well as many great tips for future travelers. We can't thank you enough for that. We are in the process of updating the rooms and the items that need to be replaced, we take care of that. As you mentioned, everything here certainly gets used. Great problem to have! We are working with our housekeeping team to ensure that we guarantee our room cleanliness. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. I will connect with our waterpark management team to ensure consistency among the rules within the waterpark. Obviously all the rules are their for the safety of everyone and we should have no deviation on that. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with that. Damon's is part of the Kalahari family. I am unaware of a 75 cent charge to call, but will check into that now, to try and understand what they had meant by that or if need be, clear up any confusion. We do have rooms with full Kitchens too (Lodge, Combo, Village), so if that would be helpful next time, check it out! I'm sorry that we didn't make the peanut butter and jelly happen for you. We should have been able to accommodate that for you. My little one only eats buttered noodles, so I can relate. Thank you again for all the feedback. I hope that we will see you again soon! Very much looking forward to it!