“Super for all age groups”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I travelled with two toddlers and Kalahari had, by far, the best amenities for the littlest of children. They certainly catered to the older kids as well but I was very pleased by the 'watering hole' for little ones. The rooms were very spacious and I especially loved the indoor themepark (and ferris wheel). My main complaint is the very slow speed with which food was delivered to a table - almost felt as if the food was being prepared elsewhere (other kitchen) and then delivered to the restaurant for consumption

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for bringing the little ones to visit us. We just added Tiko's Watering Hole in December of 2011 and we are so very proud of it! We so thrilled that you enjoyed it too! The awesome thing about Kalahari, is once the little ones grow out of Tiko's, Leopard's Lair is next. That is another fun adventure for the kiddos. I will be sure to pass along to the food & beverage director and head chef about the preparation time. I can understand how that would be frustrating, especially with the little ones. Thank you for letting us know! Thank you again for visiting us and taking the time to review us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,968)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter won a free night stay and I paid for an additional night and I'm so glad I did! I wish we could have stayed another night! Very good service very clean. Our room was great! The indoor waterpark also exceeded my expectations! Very clean friendly staff and so much for all ages! My kids are 5 and 14 and we all had fun no one was left out because of size or age.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at the Kalahari for a work conference in mid-March. Check in was busy, but efficient. I was placed in the Sands building, in a Lodge Suite. The Sands building is much further away from the park areas, but since I was spending my days in the Conference Center, it was not a problem. The room was a very nice, two room suite. The rooms were clean and had everything I needed and more. The Lodge Suite had a normal king sized room, along with a second room that had a sitting area, dining area, and full kitchenette. Very nice to stay in for the two nights I was there. The conference center was very accommodating and things that were work related went well. I did not use any of the “fun” stuff while at the resort, so I cannot comment on the water park, arcade, and other activities. I had dinner at the restaurant attached to the lobby area and had a good omelet. All staff that I encountered was pleasant and helpful. My experience at the Kalahari was good, but I definitely did not use the amenities that people come out for.

Room Tip: The Sands building is a pretty far walk to the fun stuff.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

We very much appreciate you coming to visit us for your conference! Thank you for taking the time to review us after. We thrilled to hear that everything went well with your convention. Hopefully when you return, you will be able to come for fun or at least mix business with pleasure. Thank you again for everything. I wanted to be sure to let you know how much we appreciated it. Take care!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I would be giving 5 stars for the fact that my kids (3,4 and 5) had a lot of fun at the theme park and the waterpark, but... Then there was the fact that they charged our bank card an extra $49.50 per person per night without telling us. We had 5 people staying for 2 nights so there was a scare when we saw a $500 charge come through our debit card we were not expecting. Luckily, my wife keeps close tabs but nonetheless, had we known, we could have planned for this but that was our 3 day trip budget and we had like $30 left in our account after the charge went through. The thing that really ticked us off was that the girl at the front desk made it sound like we were "lucky" cause "so many people get Insuff funds charges" is how she put it. KALAHARI, you cannot just take money out of people's bank accounts without telling them! You cannot. It is bad business and there is NO reasonable reason for it. We travel a lot and understand resort fees and high taxes, but you cannot just take $500 and act like we got lucky that it wasnt worse. OK that said, a positive now. The room was nice and we were comfortable there, that is not easy with a family of 5 and 3 kids under 6!
Next, do not, I repeat, DO NOT make the mistake of eating at Damon's the first night because you have been in the car all day and you are hungry and it is easy. Thats what we did and we were so so so sorry. The onion loaf thing we ordered with a coupon was terrible and cold and took 20 minutes to show up. The coupon says "try an onion loaf for $2.99! When you get there, its $2.99, as long as you order a specific $25 dinner they have. Not even in the fine print, just something they came up with. Then the food came and the plates were hot and the food was cold... That means it had "died" in the window. . I mean, disappointed does not begin to explain. If you like slow service, cold, microwaved low quality food, this is the place for you.... well enough said. But there is a Cracker Barrel right next to the resort that has AMAZING food, incredible service and costs half of what they are asking at Damon's. We ate there twice in two days. Overall, we were happy with the resort, waterpark and theme park but beware Damon's and ask a lot of questions about how they will be using your bank card info.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to review us. I wanted to first apologize for your meal at Damon's. I will be sure to connect with our Manager there and pass along your experience. Hopefully you were able to check out one of the other many food options located throughout the resort. I wanted to help provide some clarity as to the $50 per day authorization that you experienced for your stay. When guests opt for in-house billing, meaning you can charge to your room, we authorize $50 per guest per night. This is an authorization, establishing the fund are available, and not a charge. The money is held, then when you depart, anything unused will be released. This typically takes a few days for the bank to make those funds available to you again, is what we typically see. Again, we do not charge anything for in-house billing, until you purchase something within the resort, but we do authorize that amount when you opt-in. I apologize that this communication and explanation did not occur and you weren't aware of how that would affect your card. I can understand the surprise with that. I am sorry again this negatively affected your stay but I do hope this explanation helps. I will also be sure to check signage and process at the front desk, so that our guests are informed about the process. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm thrilled to hear that he kids had a blast! I remain in hopes that we can see you again in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went back and forth about whether to stay at Kalahari or just stay somewhere else and get day passes. I'm very glad that we chose to stay at Kalahari. We just had the basic hotel style room but it was all we needed: clean and big enough for 4 people. We spent the bulk of our time either in the water park or the indoor amusement park. Plus the hotel had various free kid events and activities throughout the day. Our kids also liked the zoo theme. Just expect that they get slammed every day at 4:00pm as hundreds of people try to check-in at the exact same time. My recommendation is to check-in early, get your wrist bands and go to the water park. They most likely won't have a room ready yet but you can call them as it gets closer to 4pm and they can tell you if your room is ready. Once it is ready, there is a shorter line for you to run up and grab your keys. If you plan ahead and pack a bag with just your swimsuits, you can enjoy the water park for a few hours and then worry about your room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rather_Nomadic

We're just thrilled you were able to come stay with us! Thank you so much! I also wanted to specifically thank you for taking the time to review our site, furthermore the awesome tips you provided for our future guests. I know our guests will appreciate that as much as we do! Thank you for visiting and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a beautiful, clean hotel. I would never pay the rate they are asking, but we were there for a convention, so it was a discounted rate. We had the cheapest rooms there and they were still VERY spacious, with a HUGE oversized, deep tub. We went down to the bar on Friday night where they put on a really good show, which is open for all ages. The bartenders are fun and very talented. When the show is done, then the children have to leave. Karaoke starts after than, and that wasn't very good. The waterpark is HUGE, and can be crowded and takes a LONG time to get on ANYTHING. The surfing machine is something you could watch all day. I'd say the only bad things; someone should be in the main lobby with a clipboard or something. When you walk in to check in, they could ask you your name, and if your in the Sands building(which is the farthest away from EVERYTHING, they could let you know that that building has its own front desk to check in. Then you wouldn't have to wait in a hour line to check in, only to get to your building and find that front desk person sitting with nothing to do. Also, maybe an hour before closing, have it adults only?!?! It is just too crowded in the waterpark to do ANYTHING except drink. Didn't utilize any of the restaurants as they are just too expensive. I'd say the other issue is they have adjoining rooms. We're we're there with two other families, yet would not give us adjoining rooms. And they can't say they were taken already, because the family in between us was alone. So if you have adjoining rooms, WHY would you have them only adjoining with strangers?!?!?

Room Tip: If you don't like to walk, ask to NOT be in the Sands building.
1  Thank Kristi W
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was our second visit to Kalahari. Our first visit was a wonderful experience that completely exceeded our expectations. My kids were so impressed that they choose to return this year over any other vacation. This year was totally different than last year. The lady that checked us in did not even smile at us let alone greet us. And that goes for almost all of the other employees as well. Only 3 employees took the time to smile at us and ask us how everything was going. Last year all of the employees were smiling and talking to us and were beyond helpful. The attendant at the ferris wheel was so rude to my children that we walked away and did not ride. As with a lot of other families money is tight and a vacation is those few days we do get you kinda expect to be treated well. Unfortunately my children have already chosen to go somewhere else next year because of this experience.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank cjt107

We very much appreciate you coming back to visit us again this year, however I am discouraged to hear about your experience with our team members. I apologize that you were not greeted upon arrival and felt as if our team was not welcoming. That is not the Kalahari way and I will be sure to reiterate to our team that we have the awesome privilege of spending our days with those on vacation, and that in itself is such an amazing opportunity. We appreciate the feedback! I do hope in the future you will give us another opportunity to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect, but deserve. Take care and I remain in hopes of seeing you again!