“Another Fun Weekend”

Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Dubuque, Iowa
“Another Fun Weekend”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This year for spring break we gave our kids (Ages 9 and 10) the choice between a week on a beach or two nights at the Kalahari…they chose the Kalahari. We have stayed here on 12 different occasions. This year we went with 4 other families and rented a 5 bedroom entertainment condo. Its large enough we weren’t on top of one another. The adults took a floor and the kids stayed on the lower level. The resort has everything kids of all ages would like….en indoor/outdoor water park, Movie Theater, bowling alley, and an indoor theme park. The setup is great, though spread out, and allows for a “stay in one place” vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We just love that the kids choose to come visit us! Thank you so much for visiting and sharing! I bet with all the families it was a blast! I also wanted to thank you for continually visiting us! That is so awesome and we're so thankful! I just wanted to be sure you know how appreciated you were and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you so much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a great time spending our weekend at the kalahari resort. It was a great little vacation and the indoor amusement park was so much fun that we spent our entire day there. Definitely coming back to stay again, but this time bringing a whole lot more people! Highly recommendable! Just a little costly

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We can't thank you enough for coming to visit us and furthermore taking the time to spread the word about your mini-vacation. I just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate this so much and we can't wait to see you and the whole group soon! Take care and thanks again!
Calumet City, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Overall, we had a nice stay. It was a nice vacation and i didn't have to travel far. The kids, all teenagers, were able to keep busy. They spent a lot of time in the indoor amusement park. The food was a bit pricy. I visited a lot of the local fast food joints. Would stay again, but would bring more money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We very much appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Throughout the year, we do have some awesome specials that some include food with them. Hopefully you can return and try that out too! We would love it! We very much thank you for visiting and we can't wait to see you again!
Chicago
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a room in the main hotel with 2 queen beds and a pull-out couch. We travelled with 2 adults and 2 teenagers 15/16 looking for a spring break getaway. The girls loved the baby tiger
and enjoyed the water park, but it got old fast. The water was not that warm on Sunday, but did seem slightly warmer on Monday. We ate in the hotel fast-food area the first night and went outside the resort for the rest of our meals after seeing their prices. We enjoyed the hot-tubs but not the noise or the crowds. The walls did seem paper thin, but the girls didn't have any problems sleeping through the guests talking in the hallways in the morning. We left one day before we planned as one of the girls had a cold and wasn't enjoying herself any longer. Enjoyed bowling and mini-golf too. The in-room safe was great. The locker prices in the water park were outrageous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback! We very much appreciate you coming to visit us then taking the time to review our resort. I'm sorry to hear that one of the girls was not feeling well. I do hope they are better now. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the noise. I will be sure to pass that along to our management team. I do hope you will give us another shot, hopefully when you can find a great deal and this time we will exceed your expectations. We very much appreciate your thoughts and hope to see everyone again soon. Take care!
Clarkston
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at Kalahari Wisconsin Dells during the Michigan spring break. We have friends who have gone to the Ohio Kalahari, and I never quite understood the appeal. Well, after 2 days at Mt. Olympus (not terrible), I felt like I landed in heaven at Kalahari!!!

We arrived way too early. I think we got there right at Noon when you can check-in and begin using the amenities. My first impression of the lobby was pure awe! It smelled so good. I knew I would be eating way better than I had so far on our trip. My kids loved the baby tiger and kangaroo - how cute! The check-in line wasn't too bad. I was surprised Kalahari doesn't do the "text when you're room is ready" procedure. Most other hotels and resorts are doing this nowadays. OH well. We headed to the Indoor Amusement Park which my kids were just blown away by. The goal was to stay dry until our room was ready but after about 2 hours in the park, my kids were tired and antsy. We broke down and got them into their suits.

Heading into the water park for the first time was amazing! Hot, but amazing. I think we found the only available table in the whole place. The water park is big compared to what we're used to. I was a bit nervous letting my boys (9 and 10) go off on their own, but they got the lay of the land quickly, and I was soon able to relax. The lifeguards were not overly friendly (this seems to be a resort trend) and never seemed to enjoy what they were doing. I love that the park has multiple hot tubs scattered about - when there is only one, it is always way too crowded.

Finally at about 3, my husband called about our room and it was ready. What I did not like...I had to stand in the check-in line - AGAIN! This time it was much longer too. Our room was on the 2nd floor conveniently located for us.

Our first night there was great. The kids were whipped by 7 or so, so we headed up to the room and ordered room service. This was fantastic!!! The food was delish and delivered in under 30 minutes.

During our stay, part of our package was the free breakfast buffet. We loved it. I suggest getting there early though. Any time after 8:30 and there will be a substantial wait for a table.

We knew this day would be an ALL day water park day. I pulled off the BEST plan ever. I went into the water park and scored a perfect table (right by a cabana - free TV) at 9am. I set out a bunch of stuff to make the table look lived in. We took the kids to the indoor park for a little while and then headed into the park. I noticed that one cabana was available - E. I inquired at 9am and was told it was $199. I wasn't willing to spend that much. Our stuff on the table was just as I left it - of course there was nothing of any real value - just a few t-shirts and a coffee cup.

We hung in the park all day. This resort doesn't enforce the "no outside food/drink" rule (do any of them??), so we brought in our own snacks and drinks - wonderful!!! At about 3, I asked my husband to go check on that cabana again - it was still empty. This time, the kid told him it was normally $249 (??) and since it was so late in the day, he could offer it for $100, my husband counter-offered at $80 and we got it!!! My kids (and me) were thrilled. My older son had developed a chafing between his legs from the prolonged wet swimsuit, and so he really enjoyed still being near us, but also comfortable and dry.

The only complaint I had on our full day there was that my husband was in the room when the cleaning ladies came by, and he asked them to come back - he would just be there a few minutes. No one ever came back to tidy our room. This was disappointing, and I probably should have called to report the problem.

We ordered food into the cabana for dinner and had a great time. We stayed until 9pm, and we were exhausted!

Our 2nd breakfast was just as wonderful. I was so sad to leave Kalahari. I had even considered trying to extend our stay and cancelling our planned stop at Wilderness. i wish I had!!!!! (see my Wilderness review, ugh!)

We are already planning a trip to Kalahari Ohio in August before school starts back up. I wholeheartedly recommend this resort for a wonderful time!!!

Room Tip: There are rooms across the street - a LONG walk to the parks - make sure you reserve a room in the...
1 Thank JillL196
You brought pure joy to my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a wonderful, thoughtful review. I can't tell you enough how much of a pleasure it was to have you and the family! Overall it sounded like you had an amazing time and really took advantage of all that Kalahari has to offer. I am sorry to hear that they did not service your room. I apologize for this and will be sure to let our Housekeeping team know. As you mentioned, when you are property, don't hesitate at all to let us know if there are any struggles, and we can get that corrected for you. We thank you so much and can't wait to see you again in August! You'll be able to enjoy the outdoor park then too! So much fun! Take care and see you soon!
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Kalahari is that has all the attractions for a family with kids (under 13 years). There is no need to go anywhere during the early spring season (spring break). The Water Park has rides for kids of all ages. The area is very noisy due to the water pumps and background noise. Our family found a couple of areas where the noise is reduced (the area under the structures are better than the open areas). There are no lounge chairs where you can relax or sleep so you either are on a ride or eating. The restaurants are ok. The hotel rooms are clean as expected. The Indoor Theme Park is an alternative to the water park. There are many activities that are included but you would need to pay for others.

We consider that for the price of the room, the service and amenities are average. We used a package sale, however it is offered for a group of four people. Ensure that you understand what is covered or not using those packages.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CAD A
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you so much for paying us a visit and taking the time to review us. We very much appreciate the family spending Spring Break with us and it sounds like you were really able to fully take advantage of all that Kalahari has to offer. I hope you were able to check out the new attractions we just added, the Swim up bar and the Indoor/Outdoor Whirlpools. Just a note, we noticed the need for more lounge chairs and waterpark furniture too, so we are in the process of ordering and placing that in the waterpark soon. Thank you for passing along your thoughts on that! We very much look forward to seeing everyone again soon! Thank you for everything! Take care!
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed one night for Spring Break we got there early for early check in, The waterpark was small not what I expected. The check in lady had me park by the convention center, I got lost and couldnt find the elevator, The place has lots of animal statues all over, and a big huge convention center.. We went to Wilderness last yr and it was much better and I paid the same price. Save your money and go to the Wilderness.Sorry Kalahari you are too expensive for your small waterpark and your fake animals!

1 Thank mdzn5440
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for letting us know your thoughts. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our themeing throughout the resort. Much of the statutes and artifacts are authentic pieces of art bought and shipped over from Africa. Being an African themed resort, we do our best to bring the whole experience to life. I am also discouraged to hear that you did not enjoy the waterpark and found it small. Our Indoor Waterpark is the largest indoor waterpark in Wisconsin and the second largest in American, only being topped by other property. Also, as a commitment to our guests, we consistently add new attractions every year. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of those. In just the waterpark alone this year, we added an indoor/outdoor whirlpool, 1 adult only and 1 family, then Wisconsin's only swim up bar. Hopefully you were able to check that out. Again, I'm sorry you did not find more value in your stay. I do remain in hopes that we can see you again in the future. Thank you!