“Horrible Service & Filthy Room”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
CHICAGO
“Horrible Service & Filthy Room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

This is our 2nd time at this location, and the very last. The 1st time was bad, but nothing can top what we just came out of. When we arrived to our room, it was filthy, it had to have had at least and inch an half of dust all around the room, we immediately called the front desk, of course they acted stupid about it, they finally sent someone up, would you believe they only came with one white rag and no cleaning solution, we where totally beside ourself. Then later on when we decided we wanted to watch TV, the TV in one of the bedrooms was not working at all with the remote control, they sent someome over that was just learning how to be a repair man at their resort, after 20 mins he finally had to call to get some help. all of this took nearly an hr to figure out, and here we had a 4 year old that we had to put to bed. But the real test came the very next day, when we got back to our room in the afternoon, we discovered that the maid was there or was she. She never picked up our dirty towels that where laying on the floor, she never took away our breakfast dishes, she never made up one of the beds, she left blankets out in the living room on the floor, food was still under table that our 4 year had dropped, they have these veils over 2 of the beds that where twisted around the lamp post that she had put there, the king size bed didn't even have the comforter on correctly, one side of it was lapping over on top of the bed, my husband immediately called down to the front desk, they sent someone over to inspect the room, and right away she said there was no excuse for this, she said I will be right back, she looked all over our floor and could not find a maid to clean our room, so she and a guy that looked like he was the hotel repair man came in to clean the room, if you can call it that. My husband went down to the front desk and the hotel manager refused to come out of his office to talk, right there and then that told us something about The Kahalari Resort. Even the lady at the desk said I am very sorry, she said we have had a lot of complaints. Oh, I forgot to mention we had ordered 2 orders of pancakes and when we had bit into them, they where cold, plus they only gave us one little package of syrup for 2 orders, unbeilavable. Then when we got down to the water park, the resturants where not even open to get a hotdog you had to go into the hotel lobbey and get it from there, then by the time I took the long trip back the hotdogs were ice cold, like they had just put them on. From the mintute we arrived and the minute we had left the service was the worst we've ever had in traveling, and I could not wait to get back and write this letter so everyone will know what to expect at the Kahalari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, we will never be back, and we also told our neighbors who where thinking of going and now they said no way will they be staying there, they thank me for letting them know in advance. Also, I have pictures of our room how the maid have left it, if the General Manager ever responds to my email, wishful thinking because he didn't on our last visit.

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank LASTROCK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
WISCONSIN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed in the Sands building 4 nights. Housekeeping very unfriendly! Waterpark always out of clean towels. Broken glass in 2 different hallways, which makes for an interesting walk to the waterpark to say the least. I've stayed here SEVERAL times in the past each time noticing a decline in the attitudes of the housekeepers and general up keep (vacuuming etc) of the building itself. This trip was the last straw. We will not return! This hotel is going downhill fast for the price they fetch for a room! I would recommend staying at the Great Wolf Lodge or Wilderness where the buildings are cleaner and staff are polite and are happy you stayed with them, and the waterparks are great.

• Liked — Size of the lodge room
  • Disliked — Poor indoor cleanliness of buildings
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank MARTINWON
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

They did nothing to stop the running and screaming in the halls at all hours. They did not honor my requested need for a handicapped room. It is far too vast for people booking an event to walk. They did not keep non convention attendees out of the Nia Center. Prices are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!! Room service food was ice cold. Tub would not drain. Room no nicer than cheap Budgetel. If organizer books here again I will not attend a long attended event.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank drumlovr
minneapolis, minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

We were at the Kalahari on a Saturday night and Sunday. Saturday night we had a question that the concierge would normally answer. It was 8:00, the hotel was bursting with people and activity, including many people attending a dance competition, and the concierge desk was closed. I tried asking the front desk staff for some information and was abruptly told that "of course no one is at the concierge, it closes at 7:00 and we can't help you". Hours aren't posted at the concierge desk so I didn't understand why it seemed I was bothering the front desk staff. It was like pulling teeth to get them to answer another question, and they were obviously irritated that I hadn't left already. Was told the concierge opened Sunday morning at 9:00 at the latest. Sunday morning, concierge desk, 9:45, no one working. Back to the front desk. The front desk person was annoyed that I was asking her questions, she wouldn't even look up from her computer, and rudely told me she couldn't help me. I requested a manager, she gave me a dirty look, had to ask two times. She finally disappeared in the back and never returned. Customer service at this hotel is awful, the staff doesn't care if you have a good experience, and I would rather spend my tourist dollars at a hotel that makes my family feel welcome.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank enj0ytravel08
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

My husband and I have stayed here for a weekend the past two januarys, and have found it a brilliant way to shake off the winter blues. The base rooms, the desert or hut rooms, are roomy and comfortable. They also have a neat feature that saves energy by turning off the lights and such in your room automatically when you remove the keycard. The arcade is well stocked with arcade games and there are ping pong and pool tables for those so inclined. The waterpark has always been clean, and I've never experienced a line longer than a few minutes. There were always open water basketball courts. The lazy river is exceptional, and open tubes are easily accessible. My one complaint about the waterpark is that parents don't seem to supervise their children in the hot tubs; they seem to let kids use them as pools splashing and kicking everyone in the tub. Overall, the resort is all fun.
Also, if you are inclined to leave the resort, the Cheese Factory Restaurant has amazing enchiladas, Ginza of Tokyo has excellant sushi and the wild 4 hynosis show is a laugh riot.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank azsuma
chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2008

My family just returned from a three day stay at the Kalahari in April, 2008. The constant shortage of pool towels is a problem, plan to bring your own. The line for the surfing area is well over an hour, but worth it once your child gets a turn. The hotel accommodations are average, but prices are high! Restaurant prices inside the Kalahari are way overpriced as well. We had a problem with the heater/air conditioner in our room the last evening of our stay. At 2:00 AM it began grinding, making an extremely loud noise like sleeping with a lawn mower. It continued until 4:00am at which point my husband and I began walking the halls and lobby area because somehow our kids could sleep through the noise! In the morning we complained to the management and notified them of the problem and wanted a refund for just that evening since we hadn't slept.
She sent a maintenance man up to the room around 9:00am
Yes, there was a real problem with the motor and it would need to be replaced. Upon opening the front cover, 30-40 yellow jackets were infested in the unit and started moving around. My husband killed a few as the maintenance man ran for a vacuum to suck them out. We had to leave the room of course, a new motor was replaced and we expected the least to have that evening refunded. The manager was very nice, but insisted she speak with the maintenance first concerning this issue to verify that what we said was true. Upon hearing that this information was all accurate, she still would not refund our evening. She insisted that we come back on them free for another evening sometime in the future. Two weeks later we received the voucher in the mail for a free night stay, but Fridays and Saturdays may not be used along with several other summer dates. Seeing that we would spend about $200 at the restaurants and another $100 easy at the game room, we question how "free" would this night be?! I'd check out the Great Wolf Lodge before ever giving the Kalahari our business again.

Rockford, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

The kids had a blast at the Kalahari. We normally stay at the Wilderness Resort but after a bad experience we decided to try the Kalahari and are glad we did. The service was great, staff was very friendly. The kids had a blast at the waterpark and loved the flowrider, but it is smaller than the Wilderness waterpark because it is housed in one area, i.e. wave pool is smaller, hot tubs are smaller and do not go outside, less seating areas. However this can be nice because all the kids are contained in one huge area and it's a short walk to the hotel rooms. The double queen/sofa sleeper room we stayed in was as expected and fairly spacious. I'm glad however that we stayed on a Sunday-Tuesday because Sunday was quite busy and there were many large groups (school athletic teams, etc) still there, and the locker room (only one) was a zoo. It was quite dirty, unflushed/clogged toilets, moms changing dirty diapers on the sink vanities, etc. As the weekend crowd dissipated we were able to enjoy the waterpark and just avoided the locker room as much as possible. Would go again mid-week and for the price think it's well worth it.

• Liked — Fun Waterpark - Flowrider
  • Disliked — Dirty locker room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family