“a couple of DINKs head to a water park”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed a night at the Kalahari Resorts in the Wisconsin Dells. Our group was myself and my husband and two other late twenty-something couples. We are from Chicago and wanted to make the most of our time off from work and head over to Cascade. Our husbands/boyfriends are grown-up kids so they loved the idea of going to a water park during winter. The water park was nicer than I expected for the Dells but the Queen something (can't remember the name) was about on par with what I expected. Spacious and the beds were kind of icky. I'd probably bring my own blankets the next time. I think maybe the sheets had a plastic component to them? Eek.

The price point was about right, but I might make it slightly cheaper 50 bucks or so for a real value. We had a great, ridiculous time though at the water park. There was a good variety of slides. We also had fun in the outdoor pool bar, but would not have stayed there alone. It gets a little creeptastic. Like honestly people you're in the Dells at a water park with little kids, get a room. One thing I did find slightly aggravating was that we ordered the super large drink (I can't remember what it was) but it had vodka in it and I requested Ketel because I didn't want to be throwing up on the ski hill the next day. I assumed there would be an upcharge, but honestly a 20 dollar upcharge?! I didnt bother to ask so I guess that's my fault, but still, I would not have assumed it would be 20 dollar additional on top of the 20-something the drink already was to replace the well vodka with Ketel.

We had a great waitress at Damon's who tolerated our silliness and let us order a smorgasboard of food. This one night was truly a great night with friends and I think Kalahari overall hosted us well. We think we may be back with a larger group next year!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow/sheets, adults.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Sounds like an awesome time! Thank you so much for visiting us and taking the time to review our resort! If you return with more guests, I strongly recommend the Nyumba Entertainment Villa, that sounds perfect for your group! You won't be disappointed. I certainly appreciate all of your comments on the room and sleep quality. I will be sure to pass those along to our team too. Thank you for reaching out to us! Very much looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our son left his cell phone and ipod touch in the room. Housekeeping was cleaning the room next to ours and know one else had access to the room. We called the hotel, lost in found and housekeeping right away and it took three days for someone to call us back. Lost and found called back to say they don't have the items. I called talked with a manager gave him our room number and they did nothing, they will not talk to housekeeping to ask the young man who was responsible for cleaning the room if he saw them. They don't care as I was told they're not responsible for lost items which means employee theft. Too bad we will not be returning to this resort as it was our fifth and final trip there. They don't care about their customers nor will put any effort into helping you once you've left the resort. Farewell Kalahari!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Michelle H

I am very sorry to hear about your son's cell phone and iPod touch. I want to apologize for the delay in returned phone call. It can take a few days for items to reach the lost and found, so typically they give it a day or two after speaking with housekeeping to ensure all items are accounted. As you mentioned, we are not responsible for lost items, but will do out best to assist in locating these items. We do provide a safe within the rooms for all valuable items. I will be sure to share your thoughts with our management team and housekeeping team. I am sorry to hear that this negatively impacted your stay. I sincerely hope the items turn up for you. Thank you again for reaching out to us. Take care.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Boy am I glad I write for a newspaper and can share my horrific experience about this place with my readers.

Booked a room here, was promised it had three beds. There were only two. Specifically asked while making my reservation to be placed near the main area of the resort, as I had a disabled guest, was assured I would be, then upon arriving, found this to be false AFTER they swiped my debit card.

Immediately asked for a refund so I could stay somewhere else, was told they wouldn't since the card had been swiped already...just 15 minutes earlier. Asked for an upgrade at MY own expense, was told they were booked and couldn't.

As a result, my disabled family member was forced to stay in a room that's literally a 1/2 mile walk away from the resort's main amentites and because there were no wheelchairs available, stayed in the room on crutches the entire time. My subsuquent attempts to tell management about this were met with "Here's an e-mail address, write them." Still furious and pursuing a refund, but haven't even been replied to yet despite multiple attempts to contact someone in management with the e-mail address they provided. This ruined my 7-year-old's vacation, who simply wanted nothing but to spend time with his grandfather.

This place owes me an apology and a refund. I doubt I will see either.

Room Tip: These people who book rooms will lie to you to book them, either that or they haven't a clue.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Tim F
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi Tim, Thank you for reaching out to us and I am glad that we were able to resolve this situation for you. We certainly appreciate hearing from you. Take care and Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is huge! We went for New Years and loved it! So much to do. We waterpark was clean and safe. Very busy but the lines were short and moved very fast. The indoor theme park is amazing. So much to do spent 3 nights there and never left the bundling Very clean and friendly staff. Family will have a great time.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Tp47832

We are just thrilled that you chose to send 3 days over New Years with us! Thank you so much and thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It was was our pleasure! I just wanted to be sure that I send you a quick thanking you and letting you know we can't wait to see you again soon! Take care and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We just returned home from a two night stay, using the family getaway package...passes to the waterpark, breakfast for four, $50 dinner credit (choice of 4 of their restaurants), $20 off in the spa, 4 beverages and 1 14" pizza. We ended up spending around $1k for 2 days...not cheap but we also had a blast. The waterpark is huge and tons to do. The a indoor amusement park has bowling alleys, lazer tag, indoor Ferris wheel, indoor go kart (albeit small). Restaurants are all decent but again pricey. We stayed in a Desert Room in the 3200's....would recommend this area of the hotel. You are close to the waterpark and the lobby where all the action is.

I would suggest that they dust the rooms a bit more carefully. We stayed in room 3202 and the first thing I noticed when I switched on a light was how dusty the fixture was. I looked around at all of the. And they were the same. Pretty gross. The rest of the room was clean.

All in all a great time. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank agray325

So great to hear from you and our pleasure to have you! Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I wanted to let you know that I have passed along your comments about the dusting and hopefully we will be able to correct that and pay more attention to that from here on out. Thank you for letting us know. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the Kalahari Christmas Eve and Christmas night. 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We had the the two room family suite which has a king sized bed and two queen beds in a second room along with two bathrooms. This was a little more pricey, but we really enjoyed the extra space. Our room was on the first floor between the lobby and the theme park. We were worried there would be a lot of noise from the hallway, but it was no problem at all. Beds were very comfortable. We asked for and received a couple of extra pillows.

Water park - not very crowded at all probably because it was Christmas. A lot of fun and everything seemed very clean.

Theme Park - Lazer tag a big hit with my 13 year old son. Arcade had a lot of good games. You can buy a wristband good for lazer tag and a number of other attractions for $20 for the length of your stay. This worked perfectly for the son. We went ala cart for the rest of us.

Food - all of the food we had a very good. We had the Christmas Day buffer, the breakfast buffet one day and a meal at Damons.

My kids are already asking when we will go back so it was a hit with them!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Walt M
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Sounds like a great time! Thank you for spending the holidays with us! Hopefully you got to try out some of the new attractions in the Indoor Them Park and waterpark too while you were here. The Indoor/Outdoor whirlpool is a hit as well as the swim-up bar for the adults. I wanted to be sure to send a note thanking you for visiting us and taking the time to review our resort. Looking forward to seeing the whole family again soon! Take care!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We ended up with a room in the Sands by Kalahari. The walk to the waterpark is not bad and if you are looking to save money by staying in these rooms it's really no trouble. The rooms are just average but nice and the beds are just ok comfort wise. The waterpark is nice sized. The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't get cleaned up and people leave messes when they are done at their tables. The outdoor hot tub was my favorite part at night! Overall good stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Diane M
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for coming to visit us and choosing to spend the holidays with us! Certainly our pleasure! Glad to hear you like our newest addition of the Indoor/Outdoor Hot Tub. That is certainly amazing in the winter! I just wanted to be sure I sent you a note, letting you know how much we appreciate you for your time and thank you for visiting! Take care and I hope you come see us again! Happy New Year!