“The good and the bad, but not too bad!!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“The good and the bad, but not too bad!!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My Husband I and two teen boys traveled to the Kalahari for a wedding. We arrived late on a Friday hotel checkin was pretty busy. Had to stand in line. We asked for a room closest to the waterpark for the boys. We were placed in the Sands building. It was a 7 min walk to the waterpark 10 min to the theme park. Oh well. I had called several weeks ahead and asked to be placed next to my mothers room. She ended up being placed next to the waterpark and she didnt even have kids with her. Go figure??? I handed the front desk clerk a Visa gift card to pay for the room and she could not get it to work. After talking to the manager he called to verify the amount on it. She said yes the amount was right & the card was good but she still couldnt take it. I got tired of standing there so I just said forget it and handed her my credit card. SO I guess dont try and use a gift card to pay for your room!!! Anyway when we got into our room it was a mess. Beds not made up, used soap on the vanity. I went to the front desk and they gave us a new room. We unpacked and went exploreing. When we got back to the room the smoke detector was beeping. UGH back to the front desk again. The next morning I noticed we had drippings running down one of the walls. It looked like someone had opened a soda pop and it exploaded on the wall. I just ended up telling the front desk upon checkout to have the maid attend to itl I didnt want to complain again!! Our room walked right out to the pool only it was closed due to off season. Saturday we headed to the water park. The water was freezing so we didnt get right in. Went to the hot tub and it was more like a warm tub with lots of kids playing and swimming in it. We asked if there was a outdoor hot tub open and they said no. Very disapointed! Now for the good. This Hotel was very clean. Deco was very nice. Gift shops very nice. Most food was good although my hubby ordered a steak and it was served wtih instant mashed potatos. For $23 dollar steak you would not expect that. The coffee from the coffee shop was really good and there were free papers to read by the fireplace in the lobby, nice touch. We were impressed with the grounds in general. The water park was nice although I think wilderness indoor waterpark is better. The overwhleming smell of clorine was a bit much I couldnt take it for more then a few hours. I think our rooms were nicer then wilderness, the theme park was nice and the bowling alley a plus. The boys even took in a move. Much more to do at Kalahari then at wilderness. Last year when we went to the wilderness once the waterparks closed we couldnt find anything to do. Not at Kalahari. Lots of Bars to go sit at and have a drink. Bartender was making chocolate martini's looked so yummy!! The wedding we went to was the nicest wedding we have ever attended. SO tastefully done!! I would like to go back to Kalahari in the summer when we could have full use of the entire property. I was very impressed with the friendly staff. Saturday morning I caught the maids in the hallway and asked for more towels and pillow and within two minutes I have them at the door. besides a few small issues I think I would go back to the Kalahari it was a very nice clean hotel.

Room Tip: Sands building was very nice. it was a bit of a walk to the waterpark but less noise and less kids r...
1 Thank marylynn1966
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. It is very much our pleasure to have you and so glad you were able to attend a wedding on property. I am sorry to hear about your room conditions. I have forwarded this info to our General Manager and Housekeeping Department so that they can make the corrections where needed. We very much thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct the concerns on property so that we leave a lasting positive long term experience with you. Thank you again for your time and I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you this summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Midwest
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a huge fan of the Kalahari and our family has visited 5 times over 8 years.

The physical property keeps getting better, more updated and more modern.

Sometimes the best way to gauge how a property really handles (and feels) about their guests is when a problem arises.

We stayed last week for 3 nights at the Kalahari. In brief, we had a rotten experience with one employee in relation to wanting to stay an extra night. I identified that employee to the Kalahari, so I won't here.

But that one bad experience was completely wiped away thanks to the outstanding (and fast) response of Kassie Rizzo- Social Media Coordinator and Robert Hanson-Front Desk Manager (an additional nod to Kevin who was fantastic at check-in).

Within minutes (literally) of my emailing Kassie and another Kalahari executive, Robert Hanson was on the phone to make things right.

So not only have we found that it's more upscale, fun and interesting to stay at the Kalahari than ever before, the customer service is top notch as well. I'm talking Four Season's attention to their guests.

Thanks Kalahari. I was already a fan but now I'm a super fan.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I was reading your review and I got to the 5th paragraph and I was shocked :) Feel awesome to read my name. For that, I thank you so much! To be honest, it is very easy to do what I do and do it well, because we have amazing guests such as yourself, and a great team here at Kalahari to back me up. I wanted to be sure to send you the utmost sincere Thank You for visiting us and taking your time to review our resort. Can't wait to see you again soon! We just announced today about lots of property additions including the Indoor Theme Park and Waterpark, something to look forward to! Take care and can't wait to see you again soon!
chicago, illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Kalahari for 1 night in a Lodge suite. Although we had no intention of using many of the offerings of the hotel as we have no children (waterpark, go carts, etc), the hotel was better than we expected. Our room was large, clean, had a great view, the bed was comfortable, the kitchen area came fully stocked with dishes, stove, fridge. Overall, the room was worth the extra money. The Lodge suite is in the Sands part of the hotel connected the main part of the hotel via a walkway on the second floor. It seems this portion of the hotel is catered more for business guests and adults and is less crazy than the main area. The bars had a variety of drinks and plenty of food and the employees were very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alexia703
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been a loyal customer of the Kalahari for 10 years and this place IS NOT CHEAP. My family does at least 2 trips there every year. We have spent in the ten's of thousands of dollars at this resort over the years. Why then when I go to check in to a $350 a night suite and give the check in girl my information and she enters it into the computer, only to tell me my room is not available yet, then asks me "have you ever stayed with us before"? Really? 20+ trips to your resort and your computer system doesn;t save that information?? Trust me this has happened before. Each time they claim they updated their computer system. But you don't save the records?? Pathetic.

Most companies treat good customers with the respect they deserve but the Kalahari has never made returning guests feel special. And yes manaagement you should try to make return guests feel special.

Enough on that rant.

My 2nd major beef was we arrived at 11:00am and understandably the suite was not ready yet. Thats fine and its usually a 50/50 chance. The problem is I check back at 1230. Nope. 1:30. Nope. 3:00. Nope (and rudely told "our policy is 4:00pm check in") and finally at 4:00pm keeping with "Policy" I get my suite. What bothers me is that are they going to tell me that between 11am and 4pm No other guest was given a suite?? I am sure guest after guest received their rooms in that time. Once again is their computer system SO BAD that it would not grab the next available room for me? Instead they assign me one and thats it?? Everyone else who arrived later than you can check in but that 1 room we tagged you with is last on the list to be ready. This is what I get for 10 years of staying with you and recommending many other families? Blech on you and your poor customer service and horrible computer system. Maybe its time to get off DOS.

In the last few years with a few exceptions the staff is very unfriendly. Smiles from them are very rare from the front desk to the lifeguards. Are the employee really that unhappy? It sure seems so.

The hotel room was clean enough but age is at its begining stages of showing.

The Waterpark is huge and the kids do enjoy it and there is much to do but again I am noticing the aging as i have been going for so long. The rusting and paint chipping is showing.

The theme park is newer and while it costs extra, it does allow for the kids to do some other activities besides the waterpark. bumper cars and rock climbing and lazer tag is good. No complaints.

We will be back to the dells in the winter but based on friends advice I will be going to the wilderness for the first time.

2 Thank tahitisteve
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to reach out us. I am very sorry to hear that you do not feel valued as a loyal guest. We understand you have choices, and I am very discouraged to hear that you don't feel valued as a guest. While our system is not entirely capable of insuring we link all customer profiles and reward appropriately, we do our best to stay on top of this. If you would like to email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com, I am more than happy to comb our system and ensure that any alternative customer profiles you may have are linked. We make many efforts to reward and value or frequent guests, so I want to be sure that you are able to take advantage of that. Thank you again for giving us this opportunity and I hope we do get to see you again. Take care!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked a package that came with the room, waterpark, breakfast, lunch, wisconsin duck tours. The check in was a nightmare and soured the whole trip. We arrive a little bit after noon, the time you can enter the waterpark. Having never been there we went to the main building to check in and waited in line about 30 min only to be told we need go to the "Sands" part across the massive parking lot. There they had 1 person working check in and out for at least 1000 rooms. Everyone had a problem during check out for some reason. I will admit that poor checkin person remained happy throughout. We waited in this line another hour. The water park was nice for kids about 4-12 years old, any older would be bored quickly. They really only have 2 slide areas, nice to let the kids go up and down by themselves without losing them. There were never really any lines like you have at other bigger outdoor water parks, but there is just not a whole lot to do. Our room was clean and felt new. Breakfast was great. It was a buffet in a restaurant next to the indoor water park. For lunch we had a massive greasy pizza that was good, just too greasy. The resort is just a little too big to run smoothly. Also too many things that cost money everywhere, make it a better experience and charge a little bit more and I would be happy.

Room Tip: The "sands" part is new and quiet. Just a long way from the water park
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Skippington
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us and review our resort. While some things sound as if they were great, others not so much. I ensure you have already communicated the pros and cons to our management team. I appreciate hearing your thoughts and giving us the opportunity to go beyond your expectations. I do hope you will give us another chance to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect, but deserve. Thank you.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our trip was cut short because my daughter suddenly had a fever after our first night. The manager was extremely gracious and allowed us to check out a day early without being charged. We really appreciated this because it is much easier to care for a sick two year old at home. We were able to go to the water park our only night there and it was a lot of fun for all of us. We spent most of our time in tiko's watering hole and I think we had just as much fun on the slides as our daughter did. My husband and I also took turns going down the large slides, having everything in one location makes it much easier for a family of three with a very young child. We stayed in a lodge room in the sands building and it was very nice, the full kitchen makes the distance from the water park worth it although it seems like it is just as easy to hop in the car and drive to the main resort or if weather permits to walk on the sidewalks outside, it was warm during our stay and we walked outside in about 3 minutes. We stopped at the walmart a few miles away and bought groceries, much cheaper than eating every meal at a restaurant. We can't wait to go back again in a few months and hopefully next time we'll all be healthy so we can enjoy more of the amenities.

Room Tip: Book a lodge room in the sands, it has a full kitchen, dining area, fireplace and the ability to clo...
Minnesota
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This year in October, we brought the grandkids for a three night stay. We never even left the hotel because we were having so much fun. The safari theme is throughout the hotel. We loved the water park. It had activities for all age groups. We enjoyed the theme park and the bowling alley. We had appetizers and drinks in the bar by the bowling alley where we watched football and nascar. The food was excellent and large portions and we just had bottled beer. We had two rooms, a regular lodge room and a two room suite with fireplace on the main level. The rooms were large and nicely furnished, but they are starting to show some major wear and tear. That is the only reason it did not get a 5 star. We have been coming here for the last 10 years and each year we have seen the rooms decline with wear and tear. We ate and drank at several restaurants and enjoyed the restaurant overlooking the waterpark the best. We are excited to return next year.

Room Tip: When you choose a lodge room, be sure to request a balcony room. They only have a handful of these r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to have you! Can't thank you enough! Certainly sounds like you had a wonderful time, with the exception of the wear and tear of the room. I have good news... we are going through the process right now of updating many of our rooms, so when you return, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to having you again. Take care and thank you!