“My room smelled very musty and the front desk lied not once, but twice about how they would resolve it.”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed October 4, 2012

In addition to the musty smell, there were spiderwebs and a fly smashed on the wall. When I asked the person at the front desk if they could do something about the smell, I was told someone would take care of the odor right away. An hour later I was told that someone was in my room taking care of it - also not true.

• Stayed October 2012
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am very sorry to hear about your experience with your room and the miscommunication for correcting the concerns. I will be sure to connect with our housekeeping department as well as our front desk team. I do hope you will give us another chance to show you just how great Kalahari can be. Please don't hesitate to let any of our management team, that your expectations are not being met. We will do our best to correct any concerns. Take care and I hope to see you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Madison, WI
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Kalahari Waterpark Resort Convention Center in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin for one night on Saturday, September 29, 2012. Our group included myself, my wife, our son, and two of his friends. We were celebrating our son's 9th, 10th, and 11th birthdays. (Yes, we were behind a bit so decided to splurge on an overnight party.)

We rented a Royal Two-Room Family Suite ($345/night inc. tax) which has a separate master bedroom with king bed a full bath, and separate bedroom with two queen beds and a full-size sofa-sleeper. This worked well for our group and the boys enjoyed the room. Note: the Royal Two-Room Family Suites are located down a non-public hallway which can only be accessed by having a room key. This is nice as many of the other rooms are adjacent to public hallways and can be quite noisy.

The bed was comfortable, there was a 42" flat screen in the room, a microwave, mini-fridge, and the Wi-Fi connection was free and strong.

My wife noticed that there was a hairbrush left on one of the queen beds, and when we were packing to leave, my wife found two pair of shorts and a shirt in one of the dressers. These did not belong to any of the boys, so it left us a bit concerned about how well the rooms were cleaned between visits. (The first negative.)

The indoor waterpark is big, and offers much to do for kids (and adults) of every age. I was looking forward to the lazy river, but was annoyed to learn that only half of the lazy river was open due to a lack of lifeguards. (The second negative.) However, the boys really liked the FlowRider surf ride. Get there early though, because this is a very popular ride and can have well over an hour wait to ride. There is also a wave pool at the center of the park that the boys enjoyed Saturday evening. But when we were in the waterpark Sunday morning, the wave pool was not waving. Disappointing. (Third negative.)

While letting the boys run Saturday night, my wife and I enjoyed a HUGE cocktail from the Cracked Coconut bar located in the waterpark. It was good, and served up nicely by the bartender, whose name was Britta, I believe.

We had pizza and wings Saturday night from the buffet next to the entrance to the water park. The wings were about average, and the pizza above average, while the pricing is about what you'd expect from food service inside the resort. (A little pricey.) The gentlemen working the joint were quite nice and helpful.

The boys also spent time in the Indoor Theme Park which has go-karts, a rope course, a climbing wall, mini golf, and laser tag, all with unlimited play during your stay for one price. (The arcade games where you win tickets which can be turned in for trinkets are a separate cost.) The lines were pretty non-existent during our stay, but I know that during peak holiday times, the lines can be worse than Disney.

Overall, a mostly positive, enjoyable experience. But, as mentioned in the title of this review, a few negatives dropped this trip down to "Very Good" from "Excellent".

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the main halls - they can be extremely noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our resort and choosing to spend your son's last couple birthday's with us! Our pleasure to have you and can't thank you enough for taking the time to review us! I will be sure to pass along the constructive suggestions and team member shout outs to the appropriate department leaders. This allows us to pinpoint the areas we need to improve on giving us the opportunity for the feature to go beyond all of your expectations. I would like to specifically apologize about the state of your room. This has been brought up to our housekeeping team. As well as your second and third negative points, thank you for reaching out to us and giving us the opportunity to improve. Take care and hope to see you again soon.
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 1, 2012

3 adult friends and I enjoyed the Groupon opportunity of a Friday night stay in a Desert room, with 4 waterpark passes. We were pleasantly surprised at how clean and themed the lobby was upon walking in...couldn't entirely rival Disney, but for Wisconsin, it's as close as we get!

The room was spacious, tidy and simple - had all the amenities needed, with 2 queens, a sofa-sleeper, and small table and chairs. The shower had great water pressure, but the beds were AWFUL - sagging in the middle like a hammock. Guaranteed, you will end up suction-cupping yourself away from your bedmate in the morning, after the two of your bodies give into gravity's pull during the night. An experience, to say the least!

The waterpark was fun, but I would not recommend for teens - I think they would get bored too easily. Wilderness has a much more expansive indoor water park; and unfortunately the outdoor parks were already closed when we visited Kalahari, so we were resigned to the indoor park only. There were some hair-raising tube slides that the more adventurous of the group tried out; the lazy river was pretty shallow and not a long "ride" but still fun to try to avoid all the drippy waterfalls throughout the river. The best part of all: there were no lines! Only one ride had a constant line due to the "one at a time" nature of that ride, but if I were to return with kiddos, I would definitely come in September (on a Friday) - you can go on as many rides as you like, as many times as you like without wait. Pretty great! Swim towels were plentiful on the day we visited, but not all of the concessions/snack bars were open...again, prob due to off-season.

Check in and check out are a bit of a time-suck, but they give you a LOT of information, coupons, and tips for the property - which was greatly appreciated. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and polite, aside from the odd little woman working in the ceramic paint shop on the lobby level. She was an odd little bird, and not customer-service oriented, so we decided not to pursue this particular activity.

The BEST PART of this resort is the insanely fun amusement park. It's very easy to drop a lotta cash in here, but oh my goodness: ferris wheel, mini golf, ropes course, laser tag, bowling! And some of the neatest arcade games I have EVER seen. Bonus was that the amusement park was well-staffed, laid out nicely, and extremely clean. Our $60 in "prize tickets" won us a ceramic chicken bank...but I carried that chicken bank with pride, because the best prize of all were the hilarious memories made of my girlfriends and I reliving our childhood in this safe, and charming environment.

Recommended for kids of all ages, but bring your big-kid wallets for the amusement park!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MilwaukeeGrrl
I feel compelled to tell you that I honestly laughed out loud when I read that you carried your ceramic chicken bank with pride. Made my day. Thank you for that! So glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of Groupon offer and visit. I will be sure to pass along your thoughts on the beds. We are in the process of upgrading many of our rooms, so hopefully when you return, you will be delightfully surprised. Of course, if this remains not up to your expectations, don't hesitate to let us know while on property and we will do our best to accommodate you. I also wanted to let you know that we are adding new rides into our waterpark and theme park this year and the every year from here on, so when you return, I hope there is something bigger and better than you remember. Thank you again for your review and time. Hope to see you soon!
Chicago
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This resort has a great waterpark....both indoors and out....and the indorr amusement park and game rooms are awesome. Took a teen group there for an overnighter and they all loved it. Lots to do to keep them having fun.

Room Tip: if you have a larger group the shared condos are the way to go. The amenities in ours were great...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Sounds like a blast! Very glad to hear everyone had so much fun visiting! Wanted to be sure that I sent a quick note thanking you for taking the time to review and visit us. See you again soon. Thank you and take care!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2012

As part of a family celebration, we were invited to make our very first visit to Wisconsin Dells. The Kalahari Waterpark Resort Convention Center is undoubtedly a fine choice for many, but for us, it was like entering the seventh circle of hell. The place is enormous, noisy, expensive (oh, so expensive!) and not our idea of fun. The lobby features baby lion cubs crammed into a very small cylindrical glass cage. My spouse pointed out that they had been stress-grooming because the fur on their backs was missing in spots. I believe there was also a monkey. And an ice cream and candy shop and a convenience store, and noise, lots of noise.

As my niece gave us a tour of the indoor and outdoor waterpark and the indoor "theme park" (the theme seems to be "Hey kids! Separate your parents from large amounts of cash"), my husband kept muttering under his breath, "this is so not sustainable." I believe he also referred to the movie "Contagion" at that point, just because of the large number of small children in vast amounts of water...

The food in the restaurants was virtually inedible and the prices were higher than I've paid in fine-dining restaurants in big cities. The music in Kahuna's was incredibly loud, bad pop, (so loud that it was nearly impossible to have a conversation) and there was a dance contest for small children, which, I guess, is fine if you like that sort of thing and/or have small children or you don't want to talk to the people you are eating dinner with.

Our room was fine; although the air conditioner was extremely noisy, I think, on reflection, it was probably good to have some white noise to drown out hallway sounds. Staff were very courteous. I am grateful that I have never had the job of waterpark lifeguard. The luxury condominium that the rest of our family stayed in was super-nice, and they were all happy with their stay.

As I said, we are most decidedly not the folks the Kalahari was made for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Journeywoman38
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for coming to stay with us and taking to time to review our resort. I am sorry to hear that we are not your cup of tea, as we strive to have something that is enjoyable for everyone. However, we certainly appreciate all your feedback. We are constantly updating and adding items to our resort. So hopefully in the future we will have something that will be more to your liking. I do hope we will have the opportunity to see you again. Take care and thank you again for reaching out to us.
michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We purposely went after Labor Day to avoid the crowds. The outdoor waterparks were closed but the inside ones were open. We loved the Kalahari. The staff was very helpful and friendly, we even got a free upgrade on our room and it was huge, immaculate, with a great view. The restaurants were a bit pricey, the little deli/bakery in the lobby was great. Beautiful pastrys, coffee, deli sandwiches, it was all we needed for our budget. The hotel had much to do, remarkable artwork, the nicest bowling alley we had ever seen, we did not really plan to bowl, but we did (twice) as it was so clean and nice. The hotel was pretty empty, nothing was crowded. Sept. is a good month to travel. We hated to leave the place!

Room Tip: Book on line, look for specials.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
We are just so glad to have you! Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to share your thoughts. It is certainly appreciated and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our team. Very much looking forward to seeing you and the family again. Take care!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The resort was nice. My wife and I were in the dells for a wedding. We stayed in a king whirlpool suite. It was pretty much a large studio with a small bathroom. The jacuzzi tub was located in the main room next to the king bed. There was a sleeper sofa, microwave, fridge, and a makeup counter with sink and mirror. The bathroom had a walk in shower and toilet. There was not a sink in the bathroom. The toilet was in a slightly odd location behind the door with a lot of wasted space next to the shower. Not a big deal...just a little strange. The coffee pot and it's accessories were located next to the sink on the (what I'm calling) make up counter. The coffee pot and said accessories needed to be moved so my wife could get ready. The only reason this was an issue was because of the lack of outlets in the room. This made charging phones an iPads an issue too. The room also had a fireplace.

The only real complaint about the room (the lack of outlets wasn't a huge deal) was how loud the A/C was. It made falling asleep a challenge and could be a real bother if you had to sleep on the sleeper sofa, which was located right next to the A/C.

I will warn you, the food in the resort was not very good. The deli sandwiches had dry turkey, wilted lettuce and shriveled tomatoes. Damon's was you standard bar food, but the flavors were off. We had the 5 cheese mac and cheese and it just didn't taste right. We also had the BBQ sliders. They were ok, but not great. The Ivory Coast restaurant was the same way. The flavors were just off. I would recommend eating in town somewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for joining us while you were attending the wedding. Certainly our pleasure and very happy to have you. We appreciate your thoughts on the Suite. The feedback helps when we are planning on renovations and improvements for the future. We have over a dozen room styles, so hopefully another style will work better for you. I am sorry to hear about your distaste for the food throughout our resort. I will pass this along to our management team. Hopefully we will see you again in the future. Take care and thank you for reaching out to us!