Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great Wolf Lodge(Wisconsin Dells)
Great 4.5/5
Alakai Hotel and Suites(Wisconsin Dells)
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Glacier Canyon Lodge(Wisconsin Dells)
Wilderness Resort(Wisconsin Dells)
Very Good 4/5
Dell Creek Motel(Wisconsin Dells)
Very Good 4/5
Sundara Inn and Spa(Wisconsin Dells)
2,997 results
All reviewssands buildingindoor theme parkivory coastferris wheelgreat karoodouble cutmaster blasterhut roomroyal african queen suitebrew pubbowling alleysweet hutwater parkcookie decoratingswim up barmovie theaterall ages
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is our third time at Kalahari, the second time in the Dells. We prefered our stay in Kalahari's Sandusky, Ohio property better. Both properties are nice, plenty to do and large suites. Our kids, ages 6,11,13 and 15 loved the laser tag, go-carts, pools, slides and video arcade. The food is expensive and could be much better. Upon check-in, we were told someone else had already checked into our room, but after 20 or 30 minutes, they got it figured out (computer glitch). Our room was never cleaned and we stayed 3 days. We never got a replenishment of in-room coffee or towels - we asked for more towels and stopped an employee in the hall to ask her to clean our room, but I don't think she understood English. There is definitely a language barrier given the fact that most of the employees are from other countries. They were all friendly though. We rented an outdoor bungalow poolside and they overcharged us $60. They said there are 2 prices - $149 and $211. We were told $149, but charged $211. SHe said there were two prices and she didn't know what one to charge us - good grief! They did credit back our account. The little cafe by the side arcade was so disorganized and took a VERY long time to get even a sandwich. I enjoyed the many activities, but won't stay here again because it seems disorganized at the management level - not enough communication with the staff, apparently since it seemed staff members were guessing at things. It would have been a lot better if our room had been cleaned, even once, even after I stopped and ASKED them to please clean our room...but no, didn't happen. Paying $250 plus per night, I expect at least a cleaned room and fresh towels and coffee.

1  Thank RHubers
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. It is certainly our pleasure to have you. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us didn't live up to the expectations you would expect and deserve. I will be sure to communicate your specific concerns with the management team of those areas. I'm glad to hear that the issues with the room and the cabana were all worked out quickly. I do apologize you had to go through that. I do hope you will give us, at least in Sandusky, another shot to show you just how great we can be. We appreciate your thoughts and reaching out to us. Certainly helps us to pinpoint the areas we need to improve upon. Take care and I hope to see you again. Thanks!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We just went over to the Dells for our daughter's college break. The resort is very self contained. Several good restaurants (see other reviews). The room was large and well maintained. The indoor and outdoor water parks have lots to do for all ages. Lazy river, many winding slides, a wave ride and more. There is an indoor theme park which we walked through but did not use. There is also a bowling alley and a multi-screen theater. There is much to do in nearby Baraboo, Lake Delton and Wisconsin Dells. This is a great place to take kids and is fun for adults too. We always bought carry out breakfast in the lobby which was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to review us. I wanted to be sure to send you a little note to let you know how much we appreciate you. We love what we do and who we do it for (I have to say, our awesome guests make it pretty easy on us). Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family really enjoyed our stay at Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells. Our children are five and ten years old, and there was a ton of stuff to for us to do together as a family at the resort. We purchased the "Fantasic Family Getaway" package from the Kalahari website, which proved very helpful with getting the most for our money and keeping within our budget. When considering everything we got for our money, I found the price to be very reasonable. Had we just been staying at Kalahari for the hotel room alone, the price would have been much too steep. We paid to play, not necessarily to stay!

A huge perk was having everything we needed right under one [enormous] roof. Once you've checked in, there's really no reason to leave! Although, we did venture out one night to take advantage of our free Tommy Bartlett passes that were included, and I must say the show was surprisingly more entertaining than we thought it would be! We all truly enjoyed it.

The indoor and outdoor water parks were fabulous, and the indoor theme park was a lot of fun, too. I was pleasantly surprised that my five year old was tall enough to ride nearly every ride offered. That really helped us stay together as family and enjoy our vacation even more.

There were several great dining options at Kalahari, and the food was fantastic at each of the restaurants we tried: The Great Karoo, Ivory Coast, Damon's, and the snack bar outside of the waterparks.

As far as the spa, it was nice but a bit pricey. The $20 credit that was included with our package would have only purchased a hand massage without having to pay anything additional. Nonetheless, I didn't want the credit to go to waste, so I found myself shelling out quite a bit more dough to get a service that I actually found desirable. Next time, I would skip on that, and enjoy my more affordable spa services at home.

The service we received all througout Kalahari was top-notch. It was very clear that the staff is well-trained and customer service is a priority. We upgraded our room to a Nomad room, and it was quite spacious and clean, although a tiny bit dated compared to the Kalahari in Sandusky, which my oldest child and I visited in June.

The only complaint we had during our two night, three day stay is that housekeeping missed cleaning our room one of the days we stayed, but management was especially accomodating by treating us to dinner and drinks while our room was cleaned later that evening. It was more than we expected and bettered our trip even more!

In all, we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to stay and play again sometime soon.

Room Tip: Most of the standard rooms are located in the "Sands Building" which is a hefty haul from the waterparks, theme parks and restaurants. We upgraded to a Nomad room to avoid the long walk, since my husband has a bad knee, and there was already a lot of walking involved. It was definitely worth the additional cost to us.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

That's what I love to hear! It certainly sounds like you were able to take advantage of the Kalahari experience! I can't thank you enough for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. Certainly our pleasure having you. Looking forward to seeing you again next summer. Till next time...be well!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had an African Queen Suite (Not Poolside, Yay) for two nights. Way better than our experience at Great Wolf, but I would say that our kids (now teens) prefer comfort in the hotel room to days at the water park. Sadly (and this may or may not be common) the locker room we had to traverse to enter the water park reeked of urine. Bad-times. Bedding was adequate. Only a few kinks for the chiropractor. When the kids are more interested in leaving a water park hotel for other attractions, that puts the kibosh on thoughts of a return. I need to say that Damon's restaurant went above and beyond when we had to make a quick exit during a car crisis. Add the restaurant's great food and great service to your go-to places in the Dells. They went above and beyond to help us out on a pretty bad day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and staying with us. Certainly our pleasure. I am sorry to hear your older kids don't didn't have as much fun this time around. Every year we try and add new rides, so hopefully they will be able to find something they like soon. Were they able to check out our thrilling new rides, Screaming Hyena? Such a rush?! I will be sure to pass along your comment to Damon's. Sorry to hear you had a bad day, but glad we could make it a little better. Hope it is better now for you! Thank you so much for your time and I do hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are a lot of reviews about how pricey it is here, but I think it's quite reasonable.
I found the cost for 2 nights pretty well priced for the area and time of year.

Check-In: A breeze. The front desk was very polite and sociable - no complaints.
Room: Clean, spacious and comfortable. We had a standard Hut room in the Sands Building. Quiet as well and we were even by the elevator. Also, there are a lot of complaints about the walk - yes, if you use the skywalk to the main building/water parks/theme park it will take you twice as long as going outside across the parking lot. Unless you’re disabled or have mobility issues, this shouldn't be a "long" walk for anyone. Honestly, it's not that bad and it's always good to get a little exercise in on vacation - and it's free!
Outdoor Water Park: I'm sure it would have been fantastic had it not been only a high of 73-76 with partly sunny skies.
Indoor Water Park: Lots to do, much more than GWL so we were happy.
Indoor Theme Park: It's best to get the wrist band that's good throughout your stay. It's more economical that way and there is plenty to do. Bowling is extra, but during happy hour it's fairly cheap - that's with alcohol!

Complaints - Sorry I have 2:
Towels: Seriously, you are a water park and we stayed during a weekend that was brisk and cool and not that crowded. There is absolutely no excuse running out of towels. Having 10+ people waiting soaking wet for 20+ minutes for towels to arrive is unacceptable.
Restaurants: Damon's was good and worth the money. But everywhere else is a complete rip off. The food and service was either mediocre (Ivory Coast Lounge) or terrible (Kahunaville). Unfortunately, I've had mediocre food and service without a care, sometimes stuff happens. But our dinner at Kahunaville was probably the worst I've had in my lifetime. The rice was undercooked, the stir fry was bland and runny, and the waiter (if that is what you want to call it) shouldn't be allowed to work with the general public ever! Absolutely horrid service.

Overall however, it was not that bad. Lessons learned: 1) Bring your own beach towels - it's best to just rely on yourself in this regard, 2) Eat off of the resort - taste, see and support the local area Mom & Pops instead (so sorry we didn't!) and 3) Bring your own food for breakfast and snacks (cereal, milk, fruit, chips, popcorn, etc) - you have a fridge and microwave. It will save you money in the long run.

3  Thank honeymarie

Wonderful tips! Can't thank you enough for sharing! I did want to mention we do have a room called the Lodge Suite, which comes complete with a full kitchen (and when I say full, it has everything you will need). That might help with the food and the costs there. Just a little tip :) I will be sure to pass along your comments of our food outlets to the Food and Beverage Director. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our outlets. That is disappointing. However, overall, it sounded like you had a wonderful time and that is so great to hear. Thank you so much for sharing. Take care and hope to see you again soon!