“To much volume for customer service details”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“To much volume for customer service details”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Over the years I have stayed at the Kalahari numerous times and was pleased. This stay was different and I felt the Kalahari has lost its attention to detail. First I was at the hotel for a conference. The conference area was to be set up so we could set up our booth by 5:30, the area was not set until 8:30. The food at the conference was marginal and the lack of staff help was less that comforting. Second, after I left I realized I had left a necklace in the room and when I emailed the hotel and called they never responded. I realize this is a large facility but the customer service in the past was outstanding compared to what is current.

Room Tip: Dont be on a first floor hallway it is noisy and the halls are not monitored.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Hi Melissa, thank you for continuously visiting us! It is very much appreciated. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. I will be sure to email our catering team and let them know your thoughts. Thank you for reaching out us so that we have the opportunity to make it right. I am sorry someone did not return your call in our lost and found department. I am not sure if you have the number, but just in case, it is (608) 254-5466 ext 42036. I hope this helps! I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you how great Kalahari can be! Take care and thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was my second stay at the resort. I attended a conference at the Kalahari for 3 days. I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel as well as the Conference Center. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was in the main building 3rd floor near the elevator; which was a quite a distance from the conference center; this was perfectly fine for me. The room was clean, quiet and spacious. The convenience of having a microwave and refrigerator was very nice.

Another convenience, you will have to leave the resort if you wanted to catch a movie. In the winter months this definitely is a plus. Since I rode the Amtrak there and back, the hotel shuttle picked me up. They were punctual upon the arrival and return trip to the train station. I was able to stop at the local store for snacks and essentials.

There are a number of options for dining! I ate at the Ivory Coast Lounge and the Great Karoo restaurants. Food was good and prices were reasonable!

I didn't use the amusement or water parks. I didn't use the Spa, but selected the rating in error; no way to de-select.

The Kalahari will definitely be my choice when looking for accommodations in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. Hopefully next time you will be able to mix a little business with pleasure and try out the Indoor Theme Park and Waterpark. Glad to hear you like having everything under one roof. We really strive to accommodate all of our guests. Thank you again and hope to see you soon!
Chicago
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in the hospitality room which was clean and spacious. The watermark was great. The lifeguards were everywhere which made it feel safe. Overall the staff were great. The amusement and watermark were great. We will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Short but sweet... I like it! Thank you for visiting and taking the time to review our resort. It was out pleasure and can't wait to do it again! Take care and see you soon!
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just came back from the kalahari. Wow, what an incredible place :) Room was impressive, we got a lodge room for four in the Sands building. Looks just like the pictures online. Wish iti had a bigger bathroom.

Didnt go to indoor waterpark, checked out indoor arcade. Very easy to navigate, just prepare to walk. Things to do for all ages... probably except adults over 18 but under 21. Arcade is mostly geared towards kids and teens, cant go to the bars at the hotel . Overall great experience, definitely making another trip here.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank nkaujntxhee
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our resort! Hopefully you will be able to return again so and check out the indoor waterpark. That's the best part. :) Thank you again for your time and see you soon!
Wausau, WI
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We read many reviews and did a good deal of research on which waterpark hotel to pick in the Dells. We wanted to get the best experience for our money and picked a Royal African Queen Suite for a Thursday night stay. The room was an excellent size for our family of 5. We got a room on a higher floor, so that we were not bothered by other guests walking to and from the waterpark. The waterpark was clean and had slides to keep everyone entertained. The indoor theme park was a hit as well. Since it was a Thursday there were no lines and that portion of the trip was very enjoyable.

The customer service and room however left much to be desired. First there was no heat in our room. We thought at first the room was chilly because no one had stayed in it for a few days, but when we arrived back after enjoying the waterpark at 11pm it was still cold! The kids were exhausted, so we didn't want to deal with waiting around for maintenance. Then the next morning the restaurant we were told to use our coupon at was not open, so we went to the Ivory Coast. The food was ok, but not impressive. A $7.99 waffle should be visually appealing but it was just a lonely waffle on a plate. We went back to our room to shower and discovered there was no hot water! My husband called down to the front desk and we were told the manager was on the phone, and they didn't know when the water would be back on. We could check out at 1pm if we wanted. That of course is no help, since you can stay until midnight and use the waterpark and we still couldn't shave or use the jetted tub in our room. Other calls down to the desk left us still with the manager unavailable.

We filled out the comment card, leaving our email address for someone to contact us to make it right, but no one did. I finally called and got a hold of a manager. He said he couldn't refund our money, but could comp us up to a presidential suite next time we stayed. Too bad my we will never come back to use it. We'd have to save up all kinds of money again to "maybe" get hot water. No one ever apologized for the inconvenience, not in the hotel and not on the phone.
The management does not understand that in this economy, for some families this may be the only vacation they get all year. And instead of going to Disney people pick the Kalahari because it's closer to home. It has to be as perfect as Disney, and if they want to be considered 5 star they need to have customer service that goes above and beyond. They need to truly want guests to have an amazing experience.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Karyn G
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I am sorry to hear about your experience. We care very much about our guests and their experience, so it discourages me to hear that your stay did not meet you expectations. I do hope you will take us up on the offer for a complimentary upgrade and return soon. Thank you again for visiting and we hope to see you soon.
CHICAGO
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Let me first say that I have been a customer of Kalahari for many years and I have been there over a dozen times. This review was for my last stay and I have had much better stays.

Upon checkout, the person at the desk I was dealing with was very uninformed and didnt have many answers to the questions that I had asked. That and his demeanor did not seem very welcoming at all. He seemed to be bothered. Unfortunately, I didnt grab his name when we checked in or else I would mention it.

We had dinner our first night in the Ivory Coast and we were told when placing our order that a number of items on the menu they didnt have. When we got our food, some of the orders were wrong and cold. I asked to have my order boxed up and went to a meeting while the rest of my group stayed behind and had cocktails at the same table. Upon returning (45 minutes later), I had to ask where my box was twice and the waiter said they forgot about it and left it in the back.

Saturday afternoon we had a reservation for 20 people at the Great Karoo. The staff was not able to sit our group together even though they were not busy and I had made a reservation the day before. They brought out multiple orders that were wrong and 2 orders that were even wrong twice. We recieved diet drinks when regular was ordered and they brought the food out in two different waves 45 minutes apart. We also ordered cheese raviolis off the menu and they brought us meat raviolis which are not even on the menu? Very unhappy. One of the waitresses (Ilyana) didnt seem to confident in what she was doing. I ordered a kalahari Flame drink and she lit it on fire with the straw in the drink. Setting on fire the drink and melting the straw inside of it.

Sunday morning we also went to the Great Karoo and while the price was pretty good, all of the food was cold.

I did reserve a meeting room for the weekend and everyone is the Sales department was very helpful and I was even greeted this year. That was nice.

I was very very unhappy with the service this time at Kalahari. I do have a standing reservation for June and I am a little leary of keeping it or possibly trying a new hotel this year. I have been there for many cheerleading conventions with my squad and family stays throughout the years and never seemed to have a problem. It seemed like many of the employees were new and training. I am really hoping this was just an off weekend.

My one other gripe (and this wasnt just this visit) is that its really muggy in the waterpark. Its a little hard to breathe inside. The waterpark is kept very clean and is well maintained though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank goodienuff79
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hi There! Thank you so much for continuing to visit us and giving us the opportunity to improve by letting us know you thoughts! We truly appreciate it! I forwarded your review on to the Front Desk Manager, the Great Karoo Manager and the Ivory Coast to have a look at. I do hope you will give us another chance and we can see you again in June. We would love the opportunity to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect but deserve. If you are able to, please email me your contact info at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com and I will look further into your stay. Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us! Take care and see you in June!
Chicago
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Great waterpark for any age but very suitable for 12-15 yr olds! I was looking for something that would keep preteens interested for hours and found it in Kalahari! Two other places are nice but the rides are limited to younger kids or the amount of walking would shut down the parents! :)
Kalahari staff, every one of them, is always pleasant and willing to help. The lobby is fantastic! If you're lucky you can catch the Tigers there!! We did! Depending on what rooms you like you are always near something! For us personally, we need a balcony and wanted to stay in the main building..if that's you...ask for a Nomad Room! Reasonably priced and located just perfectly in the middle of it all!
Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Chocolate shoppe...a must!! I'm not even a big chocolate person but you just can't resist!
Didn't eat on the resort too much because we choose to eat elsewhere with other people we were staying with. Indoor waterpark has everything for every age! The lazy river seems to last forever and slides are awesome. My son stayed body boarding for nearly 2 hours straight! Gave me and my husband time to chill in the NON CROWDED (Had to emphasize that!) hot tub just feet away!
They have great deals every now and then that make it even more worth it! This time around I think we will see a movie and hit up the bowling. Every year since we started (year 3 now) we just never have time!
Great place to g!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank return2ochorios
Amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing! What a wonderful review and great highlights for all of our future guests! We appreciate you and your family staying with us so much! Looking forward to seeing you next year! Take care!