“not bad, but too expensive for what is offered”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed April 2, 2011

this is our third visit to WisDells. We have stayed at Chula Vista, Wilderness, and Glacier Canyon before; this was our first stay at Kalahari. We rented the Royal African Queen suites with the family package getaway special. This hotel was by far the most expensive compared to other suites at Dells' hotels, and did not compare. Just the little extras that we had in the other hotels were not offered at Kalahari. Examples: no suitcase racks in a two bedroom suite, poor quality lighting (even in bathrooms), no fitted sheets on the beds, the bar fridge barely kept drinks cool (could not adjust the temp, the TVs had few channels, plus you could not hook up a DVD or playstation. Not make or break problems, but when you are a seasoned traveler, these annoyances leave you disappointed. The most annoying part of the stay was spending most of our time lining up: to check-in(30 min), then to line-up again(40 min) to get wristbands for the themepark, then long line-ups at slides and rides. We did expect this during spring break, however, we just came from the Wilderness with less frustration! Perhaps it's because Kalahari is open to the public, and Wilderness is exclusive to hotel guests! The service was poor, except at the waterpark. The reception desk and restaurant staff all seemed to be annoyed with being there, and were very abrupt. We all enjoyed the waterpark- good variety for small children, and older kids. If you have a thrill-seeker, I would suggest a different hotel- even the raft riders at Kalahari were very tame: my six year old complained they were wimpy! Still enjoyed it, and kept very clean. Just have had better in the past!

Room Tip: try to book room with a promotion or coupon offer
1  Thank 4kidstrip
There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We have small children 5 & 8. This place is hours of entertainment. This time I booked the Family Fun Package online and it is a much better deal! We spend about $400 less than we did the first time. The food is really expensive if you don't have a package that includes food. It was a little busier this time than last. A few more lines to wait in (I think it is because the outside was not open) But all in all we really enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed March 15, 2011

We checked in and a great first two days in one of their Kondo's. The water park was what they advertised and the front desk staff was extremely helpful, except sometimes the shuttle to the resort was late.
Everything was going great till the morning of our third day when housekeeping stole a 600 gold necklace with cross and pendant. I understand the actions of one person do not speak for the entire resort or other staff. My frustration and anger is not with the actions of one employee, but with the response by management. Although face to face the staff was nice about the situation their response was pretty much "sucks to be you". No attempt to reimburse our group through additional night stay etc, no mention of investigating the housekeeper or possible consequences, no suggestions to file a police report or do anything to help the situation.
I understand rooms have safes for a reason and it’s expected to never leave valuables in your room. Yet for an 1800 dollar stay I never comprehended one of my guests setting their necklace on a nightstand and it disappearing while housekeeping was there without any reparations.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank awalker06
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We went for a two day stay with our four kids ages 9 and under. Kids loved the waterpark. It really is something else. We hit the indoor theme park on the way out today. Kids had a blast. My only complaint has to do with the sad state of the mattresses in our room. The mattresses are just poor quality, worn out maybe? The pillows were just pathetic, lumpy balls of rough cotton. Really should've brought my own! I think next time, we'll stay at our usual place at a condo at Wilderness and just visit the waterpark-which is truly beyond reproach. Oh, and the baby tigers...gotta say, seeing those made my kid's day!

Reviewed March 10, 2011

The Kalahari is great if you have kids but if you aren't a fan of kids running around I would skip it. The check in was really far away from the room I was actually staying in and the sheets on the bed were kind of scratchy.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was dreading the stay at the Kalahari because I'm not a huge fan of anything remotely like DisneyWorld. But, I knew the kids would love it and my husband had a conference. I was really pleased with the friendly service. The place was really well-run and waterpark was HUGE. I especially liked the fact there was a number of options for my 4 year old- from small slides, up to pretty large ones and everything inbetween. The older kids were kept occupied with the larger slides/tubes. If you are into waterpark resorts, this place is for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank citygal07
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Kalahari, though pricy, is the most well-reviewed family resort in the Dells. We have been twice and the teens are in heaven, as are the parents. We can do our own thing while the kids can go back and forth to the room or enjoy the indoor and outdoor waterparks. There's a huge indoor entertainment complex with ferris wheel, arcade and full multi-screen movie theater, as well as on-site restaurants like Damon's and Kahunaville. Within walking distance is an outlet mall and many restaurants. For cheap dining options, there's a great convenience store/gas station down the street with a Dunkin' Donuts and pizza, etc... The rooms are beautiful...fireplace, flat screen, small kitchen area in ours. Overall, it's a very relaxing vacation with plenty to do for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank pugsandbulldogs
resortsmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Thank you for your return visit! It was our pleasure to serve you once again!