“Great for families!”

Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Churubusco, Indiana, United States
“Great for families!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I usually steer clear from "mom and pop" type hotels, but after reading the great reviews I decided to give it a try. We purchased our room and waterpark tickets in a package. We were able to visit 3 different water parks for a fraction of the price by taking advantage of Amber's Hideaway package. The room was very clean, parking was right by our room which was also nice. After spending the day at the water parks, our kids still enjoyed swimming in the pool and sitting in the beautiful hot tub. It was nice to get the kiddos in bed and then we were able to sit in the provided chairs directly outside our room and enjoy the rest of the evening.....yet we were right outside the door if they needed us. Our only regret is that we didn't bring along some food to cook on their charcoal grills. The lawn is perfect for relaxing after a busy day! Everyone's food smelled soooo good! The people at the front desk were great to recommend some great dining/pizza options that we took advantage of. A great hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the water parks.....yet conveniently located!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Amy S
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you Amy you taking the time to leave us a review. I am glad to hear that you don't posterior type us as the usual "mom & Pop" type places. We are a family run business and we want our guest to get that personal attention unlike the larger places. I would say we are not the typical older motel because as of Jan 2011 all our rooms have been remodeled to be more a unisex/natural decors with comforts of home. We are continually doing updates even since we remodeled. Since you were last here we put all new tile in the bathroom floors and added a condo suite with a full kitchen and whirlpool tub. Bring on the food next time you come to either use the condo or the grills provided for you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Sincerely, Tanya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Port Washington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my family's first stay @ Amber's. We were very pleased. The rooms are very well kept, and plenty of room for the kids to spread out! The beds were surprisingly comfortable (for the price we expected hard/rough beds). Instantly made friends with the staff members there. No problem getting fresh towels/rags/trash bags, etc...Very easy check-in and check-out. Free wristbands to Chula Vista were a plus. We have 3 boys (19, 13 & 6) so that helped to keep them occupied while we were in town! Another plus was the location. Well within walking distance to just about anything you need/want. Again, boys were occupied for hours just walking the "strip" and going to the park just down the street. Like I said before...we will definitely be coming back very soon. Planning a lot of traveling this summer, so that will be our destination of choice! Keep up the great work Amber's!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank KrutkeFamily
To the Krutke family of Port I want to personally thank you for leaving us a review. I always enjoy visiting with my guest and getting to know you better. I/we work hard at making everybody feel welcome and like part of the family. We want our place to be part of your family tradition and we look so forward to your return visit. I am happy that our housekeepers kept you up on any supplies needed. The boys will love it in summer we have volley ball, ping pong, bad mitten, bean bag toss game and basket ball. That will keep them busy while you rest in our large heated pool or gazebo. Until we see you again. Sincerely, Tanya
Carpentersville, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Ambers Hideaway this past weekend. We had 2 rooms. Both rooms were extremely clean and the rooms are huge!!! Rooms were quiet as well! Got free passes to Chula Vista which was great. Front desk help was super! Very friendly and very helpful! They offer complimentary muffins in the morning but we didn't get to try them. Location was good. Great stay overall!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Dawn G
Dawn thank you for taking time and writing a review about your stay with us. It was wonderful having you here. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the cleanliness of our rooms. We always try our best to give you as much information as possible about area attractions and if we have any discounts we like to pass them off to you as well. We hope that when you are in the area again you will think of us. Sincerely, Tanya
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is the second time we have gone to the Dells. First time staying at Ambers Hideaway. The rooms are very spacious. They are clean, and the staff extremely kind and caring. They have a great hot tub with awesome jets. The only thing that I would have a negative about would be the waterpark Chula Vista. Granted we went for Spring Break. But so did sooo many others. It would be great to have another option for waterparks. Still stay with Ambers but have other options of waterparks. Even if the price would change depending on the different waterpark, that would help alot. Otherwise I wouldn't have changed a thing.

1 Thank David N
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feed back about your stay with us over spring break. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and that my staff was accommodating in any way possible. Included with the stay are the Chula Vista passes however we do have discounted passes we offer to the Kalahari and in summer we have package deals with Noah's Ark. You can always ask at the front desk to see if we have any other coupons or savings and if we don't we can direct you where to go. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Sincerely, Tanya
tbecks
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I want to start by saying I am not a professional hotel critque person and don't typically stay in 4+ star establishments. I just know what I should reasonably be able to expect and this hotel was just ok. I just wanted to give note to my personal observations and experience so that it may help anyone else when trying to locate a decent place to spend their money. Maybe some of my observations don't matter to others or maybe they do? Either way, you can take it and use my honest feedback to help you decide.

The service at the front desk from beginning to end was great! Even though the clerk made it a point to tell me you have to leave the hot tub area 15 min. before the posted closing time so she could get things done to go home. hmmm ??? However, it went on a more downward slope from there. I will start by saying a part of my background had consisted of some housekeeping experience (so I may be a bit pickier then some). That said, the room upon first glance looked clean and spacious, smelled ok, bedspreads and decor outdated and dim (even with all the lights on) there was a nice big window that did let in a lot of natural light though to be fair. When checking the bathroom as I always do, it looked as if it had been quite awhile that the area where the counter meets the wall had been cleaned. The towels are small and rough, there must be a linen shortage because they only give you two washcloths for a double queen size room! The counter was cheap and the mirror finished edges were eroding. A hair was found in the soap dish that wasn't ours (and THAT'S just NOT ok!). I have always hated when hotels feel it necessary to install the light/fan combo switch. It is loud when trying to have a relaxing bath! There is a heater lamp you can turn on instead, however, it's on a 12 minute timer so either have someone in the room ready to keep starting it for you, take a quick bath or be prepared to get up and down a lot! Speaking of bath, the tub has built-in anti slips tiny bumps that even my 70 lb daughter said hurt her bottom, so we had to sit her on a hand towel. There must have been a room with a whirlpool tub above us because we heard it running most of the night on our 2nd night into our stay. UGH!! And we could hear doors shutting and heavy footsteps above us and next to us as well. The property description says it's completley smoke-free. HOWEVER, that is CLEARLY NOT the case here. They put those cheap little plastic ashtrays out at each door! VERY tacky and FALSE advertising!!! We don't smoke, so we were put off by this.

The bed was comfy and the shower had good water pressure. There was a fridge, microwave and full size ironing board with iron and hair dryer included in the room. It was odd where they placed the wall heater/ac unit, which was next to the ceiling (so out of reach, you had to use the step stool they so kindly provided) :-/ Oh and if you bring electronics of any kind such as laptops, cell chargers, be prepared to string them across the floor or sit on the floor near the one outlet available in the whole room! There was no available outlet anywhere near the table OR bed where would be the two most reasonable locations to have one. In today's electronic age this is not practical at all.

We did enjoy the chula vista passes that came with the room, so we didn't use the hot tub at the hotel (upon check-in, it was busy and crowded). And it's not outdoor pool season, so that wasn't available.
**Be prepared to bring your own towels to Chula because they won't give you any of their towels for free- but that was ok, because they are not much bigger than handtowels anyway!**

So, would we go back here? Probably not.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels or ask for more upon check-in. If your sensitive to noise at all, bring ear pl...
1 Thank tbecks
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We take all feedback whether good or bad into account.I am happy to hear that you had good service at the front desk. We do give our guest who are using the hot tub a friendly reminder 15 min prior to close. I will be looking into why you were told that you needed to leave the hot tub area. I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the room and feel that it is outdated. All of our rooms are only 2 years old, including all furnishings. I will be looking into the cleanliness of the bathroom counter top. As far as the towels go we wash them with Tide detergent and use Downy fabric softener specifically to keep them soft and fresh. I am sorry you were disappointed with them. All rooms are stocked with 4 bath, 4 hand, 4 wash & a floor mat. One of the washcloths holds the decorative bow together which is places on the tub and the other is placed on the counter with the complementary make up remover and bar of soap. All towels were accounted for at check out so I apologize for any confusion. As far as the heat lamp goes it shows 25 min on the dial, which means it will stay on for 25min. I did personally go and check it to make sure it was in proper working condition. With the non slip finish on the bottom of the tub we have taken precautionary measures to ensure no one slips, falls or breaks something, We are sorry that it hurt your daughters bottom but we would rather be safe than have her get hurt. We are open to any suggestions you may have. There is no jacuzzi room above the room you were staying in so I also will be looking into the sound of running water you heard. The motel walls and ceilings are solid 12" concrete construction to help reduce noise but unfortunately I am unable to control ALL noise. We do inform you at check in that quiet time starts at 10pm and if there are any issues after 10 pm to dial " 0 " so we can address the issue. Lastly your heat/ac unit is placed higher up because the room you stayed in is surrounded by earth. If the unit was any lower it would be sucking pure dirt into your room.
My husband and I have poured our heart and soul into this property. We have been business owner for over 20 years. Because of this we realize we will never be able to to make everyone happy, but we will continue to try. We are happy that you enjoyed your bed and the water pressure in the shower. We thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. Sincerely, Tanya
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a great little motel in the Dells. It is low-priced, includes admission to Chula Vista Waterpark, and has many amenities including outdoor pool, indoor hot tub/jacuzzi, wi-fi, and did I mention the memory foam beds???? They were soooo amazing. . . Way more comfortable than my bed at home!! The customer service was excellent, the motel was located in a quieter part of the city, and they offer complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. We plan to stay here again next time we are in the Dells! Great experience!

1 Thank Ally P
Thank you for your review about your stay with us at Ambers Hideaway. I am happy to hear that you thought so highly of our beds and that you had a restful nights sleep. I am glad that you enjoyed our many amenities we offer. We look very forward to your return visit with us in the future. Sincerely, Tanya
chicago
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Dells for a few days. I choose Ambers Hideaway for the spring break deal which you could not beat and what was all included in the stay. I am very honest and will give all you viewers both pros and cons. I will start off with the good about the motel. The price was affordable and very reasonable. The location was close to downtown where the attractions are mainly at. The room was very spacious, good TV channels, and a comfortable warm bed which I did not want to leave at all. Now, the not so good things that was a turn off on our trip. Well in our stay it included a whirlpool/Jacuzzi but as we tried to turn it on it was not working. We messed around with it for an hour before going to the front desk to tell them. The maintenance guy/part owner I guess came down to our room and attempted to fix the Jacuzzi. Then the manager/owner Tanya came in and checked it out. She was not pleasant and had an attitude. In total it was about 20 minutes they were working on the Jacuzzi. She did not seem apologetic at all as our time was being wasted. It was their fault to begin with. Anytime you have someone stay in your room you must make sure that everything is working properly especially since that was the reason we got the room!!! She said that it is checked prior to our stay but apparently it was not. She also seen that there were a few rose petals in the tube and stated "Please do not put any rose petals by the motor as it will damage the Jacuzzi". First of all, we never got a chance to use it. I just so happen to put a few in the Jacuzzi which by the way was a waste. When we called up front to explain this to the receptionist (who by the way was very polite and tried to accommodate us the best way she could),she stated she can give us a bottle of apple cider and 10.00 off our next stay with Ambers Hideaway. Here we want to use the Jacuzzi and much time has wasted since it was not working to began with. Keep in mind that we had 1 more day left and had already made plans for that entire day. The owners also bought in dirt tracks from outside and left bathroom messy. Do you think they said "Oh I’m sorry let me or have housekeeping clean that up?" No they just left it like that and also the Jacuzzi rail also had dirt marks from trying to fix it. We probably would have still used it if they cleaned the bathroom and Jacuzzi out but it was all a mess. Just horrible. (Please see pic below). Also I have traveled many times and when you have room services they normally change sheet and pillow cases. At Ambers Hideaway that is not the case. We put the sign up for housekeeping and when we got back we seen that the bed look liked how we left it. Since I have somewhat OCD and neat freak I made the bed as nicely as I could but when we came in we could see that it was still the same sheets and pillow cases. Also the previous night we had pizza and ate at the table. Well there was some grease stain that would not come off with simple water and towel and needed some chemical or cleaning product. Well after housekeeping, it appeared that they did not even wipe the table. Wow!!! What is the point of housekeeping if they aren’t good for anything?!? Oh and when we first got there, my boyfriend had used a Kleenex and there was only literally 3 tissues in there. Come on now if you know people will be staying in your suite/room please be courteous to change the damn box to a new full one! I mean come on! When we seen the manager the next morning, we had to ask her about the apple cider as she was not going to say anything but she gave it to us well grape as they were out of apple cider. She told us she got the voice message from previous day and knew who we were but was not going to mention it. Just petty and unprofessional. In the end, the receptionist tried her best with giving us a $10.00 off next visit with Ambers Hideaway and grape juice but we will not be going back as there are other places in the Dells we would stay at but if you want good management and great customer service do not stay at Ambers Hideaway!!! After this review, Amber will not be hidden anymore!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChiNurse08
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We are sorry to hear there were some opportunities for improvement with your experience. Please allow us to share how we are/have addressed them.
Like any equipment found in and receiving regular use in a home or business, whirlpool tubs can sometimes experience mechanical failure. We do our best to prevent this rare occurrence from affecting a guest; we apply regular maintenance to each tub and make sure each tub is operational before a new guest checks in.
In an effort to right the situation for you, both myself and the maintenance department were contacted within mere minutes of your call to the front desk. Less than thirty minutes after your call came in, the repair was completed, and you were compensated a value more than five times the amount a guest pays for a half hour of their stay in a whirlpool suite. I felt this was fair compensation for the inconvenience. Please be aware that the hazard of the rose petals in the tub was only mentioned in attempt to be helpful and prevent any further inconvenience to you, and was meant with only the best intentions. We did not note any dirt in the bathroom, and we would have been happy to provide extra cleaning service if you had let us know.
In regards to housekeeping servicing your room:
Standard housekeeping practices have changed in light of environmental and economical issues which have developed in the last few years. As a standard practice, a guest's sheets/pillows are changed every four days. The beds will be made each day, although if there are too many personal belongings on the bed, this service will be passed on. The housekeepers check each room's paper goods daily, but in the interests of being both economical and environmentally friendly we do not replace those goods unless they are empty. At any time you are welcome to call us and ask for more to be provided. The staff will be spoken to concerning the wiping down of the table.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Sincerely, Tanya