“Many wonderful visits with Ted and Ursula” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wisconsin Dells
You added Colonial Motel to your Saves list
South Venice, Florida
“Many wonderful visits with Ted and Ursula”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed in the Dells for more than 20 years now. Stayed at many places, but stayed at The Colonial,with Ted and Ursula for the last 15 years. They are wonderful!!! Yes the Hotel is small, but always super clean, and super respectful "for" their guests. So if you want to party all night, let your kids run wild, irritate all the other guests, have the management not care, go elsewhere. The is one of the biggest reasons I stay here. They are always cleaning, and grooming the place. They work very hard to keep what they have. So speaking from a guest stand point!! Awesome job!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very accessible to attractions. Bottom level facing pool are most convenient.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank HELEN B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you keep in mind that our room was only $40 a night, it was par for what we paid for. It's a cheap motel - what can you say? If you want to save money and stay at the cheapest place in the Dells, then stay here and deal with it.

Cons:
Bed was extremely hard and covered in a plastic sheet that crinkled loudly. The pillow was literally as hard as a rock. Don't expect to get much sleep here.
The shower turned ice cold each time I used it, but just for a minute or two.
Don't forget your shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer. I forgot my dryer so I couldn't wash my hair. Nothing is supplied except soap.
It was freezing in the room at first, but once the heater got going, it was very warm.

Pros:
The owner was actually very nice and friendly to us. I've found that if you treat others like you'd like to be treated, they usually respond the same way. He let us stay another half hour after check out with no problems at all.
Our room was clean.
It was cheap, so we could save our money to do things in town instead of spending it on a room we were only sleeping in.

Honestly, I'm used to more cushy accommodations so I will pay more to stay at a nicer place next time, but I'm thinking that this might be fine for those in their teens/early 20s as a place to crash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jprandle
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your response and for staying at the Colonial Motel. The reason for the mattresses having the plastic sheet is per health department regulations. The room that you stayed in was and economy room, please note that we also have a variety of different rooms to choose from as well (singles, doubles and family suites).

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just got back from my 1 night stay in a Queen room for $35, yep, $35. When we checked in, we also received some discounts for local attractions that ended up saving us $10 and a free ticket to Mt Olympus water park. The room was tiny but I didn't expect much for $35. The pool was nice and the location was essentially in the downtown. As others have said, the owner isn't the friendliest but we didn't have any issues with him. We were quiet and obeyed the rules.

Overall, I'd definitely stay again for the low price and good location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EatDrinkandBeLucky
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I first have to start by saying, and I will always say this, I have been coming here since I was a child and it has been fantastic every single time, without fail. The rooms are VERY clean and smell fresh and the air conditioners always work and do not make any noise. The owners have always been respectful to my family and any other guests I have seen come here.

The only time I saw the owner was at the front desk when we checked in. He did not have to come out and tell us to be quiet or to go to bed, even when we were back around 2 a.m. and had the and microwave on. If he did, it would probably be because we were being too loud after hours, and it would be just out of respect and comfort of the other guests. Yes, you are on vacation but respect and quiet time is still very much valued and expected.

The pool is always kept clean and crystal clear with plenty of seats and tables for relaxing and spending time after a long day on the strip. Guests pay hard-earned money for the rooms and to be able to swim in the pool, it would not be fair for guests from other motels to swim in the pool so I appreciate that the manager was keeping an eye on this.

Another wonderful stay at the Colonial Inn! We will definitely be back for years to come. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a peaceful place to relax after exploring the Dells. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned very well on a daily basis, the owners are absolutely fantastic, the rates are very affordable and it's the best location for downtown shopping and exploring!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Midwest_trvlr10
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was the worst experience in my life, owners were very rude, wanted you to be in bed @ 10 because they were all in your face saying that you should be putting your kids to sleep its late,come on we are on vacation we dont need a bby sitter, charged my credit card suposely for a bath matt that i never saw. very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay better at the Fritzgerald Motel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank La Bori D
We spoke to the customer about her children yelling and running around the balcony's of the Colonial Motel at 2:30am and asked her to please tell her children to stop. The children were also knocking on the doors of other guests and waking them up. The customer explained that she was not the babysitter of the children and let them continue running around.

The customer was charged was charged for 1 bath mat, however, there were towels missing also as reported by the Colonial Motel maid service employees.

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The manager assaulted one of the people in our room and slammed his hand in the door. Then he called the cops to have us kicked out after we asked for his posted surveillance tape showing the assault. Avoid this place at all costs. Oh yeah the person he assaulted was a member of the United States Military and even said his was NOT at all sorry for doing it!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Walnuts193
Customer made a reservation for 6 people however, upon arrival, they came with 9 people. From the moment of arrival the customer began to start a party and began excessively drinking. The first complaint from other guest staying at the motel was 6:00pm. I (Colonial Motel manager), approached the room and ask the customer to please quiet down as other guest have been complaining about the loud noise. The guest continued to drink and be disruptive and at 2:00am I (Colonial Motel manager) received multiple complaints from more guests. At this point, we called the Police Department and the Police Officer explained to the customer that the registered 6 people for the room was to stay for the night and the remaining 3 people were to leave the Colonial Motel property.

At this point the Police Officer was assured by the customer that they would be quiet and settle down. After the Police Officer left, the customer began again partying and being disruptive on the room and on the balcony.

At 2:45am the Police were called again as the more guests were complaining about the noise and vulgar language coming from the room. Colonial motel management did not slam the customers hand in a door or assault them. Two customers were handcuffed for obstructing the officer and his party evicted by the Police Department. His hand hurt probably because he was handcuffed. Customer was also very vulgar with the Police Officers and cited for Disorderly Conduct.

If there are any questions, the Police Officer explained that you are welcome to contact the Wisconsin Dells Police Department (608) 253-1161 (Case/Report #: 121775WD) for further information.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The Colonial Motel is right on the strip, great for walking right down to the shopping and food. It also has a cute pool with a water slide. I thought the owner was very nice, even made sure to offer us 2 for one at Mt. Olympus coupons. The room was only $50 a night, so obviously it was pretty bare bones. Microwave, tv, bathroom, and beds. It was very very clean though! The only thing I would recommend is to bring a hair dryer! When we were staying it was about 90 degrees the whole time and was worried a little air conditioner wouldn't be enough to keep the room cool, but it did the job great! I would recommend this place to anyone looking to save some money on a trip to the Dells!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends