“nice little retro motel”
Review of Colonial Motel

Colonial Motel
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Like another reviewer I too love the old retro motels that remind me of vacations from childhood. We stayed here in July or August 2010. Our last couple of visits to the Dells prior we stayed at a couple of the big waterparks. This time around I wanted to try staying in the downtown part on the strip. I was a bit worried since I believe all the places to stay in this area are old and wasn't sure how it would be. The rates are very cheap but the room and bathroom were very clean. Everything worked good...it has a nice pool that my daughter absolutely loved--and the location is perfect--walking distance to places to eat/shops and attractions downtown. I've spent wayyyy more money at some of the bigger/waterparks and had more issues with the room than this place. Would recommend to anyone looking for something nostalgic and very clean for the value you are getting

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank m_you73

Reviewed June 12, 2012

absolutely love this little motel. My boyfriend and I have been visiting the dells for the last four summers and this is the place we always end up. This motel is a little gem straight from the fifties. Whenever, I go to the dells I long for the nostalgia from when I was a child. I yearn for the roadside oddities and campy motels. The Colonial is just that. It is run by a lovely husband and wife team. You can tell that they take pride in their property due to the cleanliness of the rooms and outside area. This is not a luxury hotel, but yet a cute quaint throwback roadside motel. The rooms are simple with a bed, tv, shower and air conditioner. Each room has chairs that are placed outside which is nice for late night people watching and relaxing. The pool is nice, clean, and heated. The most wonderful thing about the colonial is the price. We were able to stay four nights in the dells for less than $170. The room was $44 each night with tax included. I highly recommend this motel to anyone who is looking to save a little money while traveling through the dells.

Oh, and by the way. The couple that run this motel are very nice. The gentleman may seem a bit crass at first impression, but he is actually very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JacquelineRo
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Colonial Motel has a great location close to downtown and easy walking distance to shopping and bars. The motel is one of the cleanest we have ever stayed at. But a few of the downsides-firstly, the owner is not friendly and very cold. Check out is at 10 AM and he was on the phone at 10:01 telling us that it was time to check out! Also, the rooms are very small and have the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. When we were leaving there was no "Thank you come again" Not to worry-we won't be back anyway.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MusicMan59
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This hotel is very reasonable among the lot. However we stayed in this hotel during the long weekend and so he charged us 65$ per night for 1 queen bed. (usually it s 38$/ night for 1 queen bed). the hotel is in the heart of the "strip". So all shopping is nearby. The upper dells boat tours are walking distance away.

Hotel is very neat and clean. No serious complaints. Even the bathrooms were very clean. our room was small. it had a microwave. fridge is on request. The room was cozy and nice. No cons as such. Overall a thumbs up if you want to save hundreds of dollars.

Room Tip: No internet, No hair dryer and carry your own shampoo and conditioners. Soap provided
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sandusree
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at the Colonial Motel over the last weekend. The hotel is right on Broadway Street in downtown Wisconsin Dells. It is a perfect location and very close to the restaurants and bars. Great price and clean rooms. We will come back for sure next summer and tell our friends!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AGolem
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Our last minute trip to the Dells turned out better than we had hoped mostly because of the nice, clean, friendly Colonial Motel. The last trip to the Dells, we spent triple the money for a room that was dirty, noisy, with a horrible outdoor pool at motel chain. The Colonial is well maintained, the pool was crystal clear, and air conditioner worked almost too well. We will keep this on our get-away list and I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank poberezny
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Where to start? My friend Laura and I came down for two days. She was very tired when we arrived in town early and said she wanted to check in as soon as possible. Check in was at 2 so we forced ourself to go through Mount Olympus Amusement Park for a few hours till 2. Finally we drove over to the motel and found a sign on the door saying "Be back at 3". So we had to spend another hour walking around town which she barely had the energy for.

Once we checked in I was surprised to see that the room keys were actual metal keys on a keychain. Inside the room, the cable on the itty bitty square TV had to be fiddled with to come in clearer, and they only got 8 channels: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, Fox News, ESPN, Cartoon Network, and HBO. How is it even possible to only get some cable? And if you're paying for HBO, you don't have a cable service that gives you at least 40 something other channels? Food, USA, TNT? When we watched TV the following night it was a bit infuriating to have such a limited choice.

The next morning when we went to shower the water was very cold. I tried turning the shower knobs in all different directions and couldn't get hot water. After letting it run for a while as an experiment it got too hot, and I burned myself a bit trying to shower. Then it suddenly got colder on its own again and I had to rinse off and be done. They also claim on their sign the pool is heated. That's bogus. I tried getting in it and not even the warm day and the sun was making a difference.

As we left the room our first morning the owner spotted us, and asked us if we needed the maid service or anything cleaned. We said we were fine, and when we returned that night realized it was what we thought. Bed, towels, floor... Untouched.

Ok, now pardon this one, I'll try and be delicate. The toilet in the bathroom is shoved in a tiny corner behind the sink and next to the shower. You have to walk sideways and cram yourself in to sit down. When you try and clean yourself up you're banging your arms everywhere.

That night I also found an ant crawling on me while I watched TV.

In the morning when we went to check out early, the sign on the door said the owner arrives a few hours later. You just drop your keys through the slot and you're checked out. So he doesn't even stick around if there is a problem. There's nobody there.

If you need a cheap stay, this is it, but for all the deals that can be found for better hotels that give you waterpark tickets to stay there, I will never return to the Colonial Motel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank obriensg1
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Colonial Motel manager was not able to be present at the motel at 2:30pm due to an emergency that required him to leave the property for 1 hour. There was a sign placed on the door to notify any people coming to the office that he would return to the motel.

The customer from the time of check-in had displayed the 'Privacy Please' tag on the outside of the door. Per the Colonial Motel management this means no entry to the room (including maid service) as the guest does not want to be bothered. As the manger saw the customer the next morning, we specifically asked the customer if anything was need for their room (maid service, towels, replace of garbage, etc). and their response was , "No". The manager then informed the customer that if anything was needed, to please come to the office and we would provided to them, however, they never came to the office.

We strive to provide a happy stay for all of our guests. We do not understand this customers complaints as they were asked if they needed anything for their stay and they said, "No".

Colonial Motel