“Worst Stay Ever”
Review of Finch Motel

Finch Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Finch Motel
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This trip was booked for the 3rd and 4th of July. My expectations were not very high when my sister told me we would be staying here. I tried to think positively because the Finch's website advertises that it has been remodeled. That is a big lie. There are so many bad things about this motel I don't know where to start. As mentioned in someone else's review be careful you don't fall. My mother who is almost 70 years old fell two times and she could have hit her head - we were so worried. The reason she fell is that you have to step up to get to the bathroom and you have to step up to get to the room with the fridge and microwave. These steps are so dangerous and they are not necessary. Why do you need a step to get into a bathroom? Second, the bedding is horrendous. I suggest you bring your own pillow, sheets and blankets if you stay here or one of those germ killing wands. I was going to bring mine, but forgot it. The pillows, sheets and comforter are really old - sheets and comforter were stained and had holes in various places, and everyone started itching after only one night-you can only guess what caused that. The bathroom is old and there was a leak coming from the toilet or the tub. I could hardly turn the nob to get the tub on. The towels were strange, as if they had been cut in half. The fridge and microwave were so old, that they should be thrown out right away. There is no extra outlet to plug in the light in the tiny spare bedroom as the only outlets in the room are for the microwave and fridge. This is absolutely no place for a child, toddler, or disabled person to sleep. IT IS NOT SAFE. The floors are filthy - looks like they have not been cleaned or replaced since the place opened. Everything in the place is old and needs replacing. The mattresses were very old and kept moving to one side. I would have to pull the top mattress back over to fit properly over the bottom mattress and the fitted sheets kept coming off. There were no drawers or closets in the room. I have always been afraid to stay at motels and now I know why. The only reason anyone would stay here is to be close to the strip, but when it is 100 degrees outside and they shut down the fireworks - that reasoning goes right out the window. It was an awful experience. After this I would never stay at the Dells during the 4th of July - especially not at this place - it's terrible, especially if you have kids. There is no pool or playground - nothing to keep kids entertained. While you may be close to downtown, kids walking up and down the busy street can easily get hit by a car. It is not the safest place for kids. Our neighbors made so much noise we thought the walls were going to cave in. Also you will be charged three times what the room is worth during the 4th of July. If you are charged more than $29 a night, you're being cheated. Definitely don't stay on the second floor unless you have very little luggage otherwise you will have to haul all your stuff up some steep stairs. We paid much more than the room was worth. You will pay extra for the room with the spare twin bed - don't get it - not worth it and it's dangerous. You get no shampoo or anything, just small cheap bars of soap - so be prepared to bring your own toiletries. Believe me, I only stayed here because my sister booked it and I told her I did not want to go. I know she was on a budget but I would have paid half or more to have stayed anywhere else. I've stayed at Sundara - wonderful, beautiful, very tasteful. I've stayed at Wilderness - nice after August when it is not as crowded. I've stayed at Hilton Garden Inn -nice. Stayed at Chula Vista once - it was okay. All of these were so much better than Finch. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. Anybody that likes this place or gives it a good rating either works for the motel or is not familiar with a descent hotel. I took about a dozen photos, too many to post but they will come in handy. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in the first place.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shellyc653

Reviewed July 4, 2012

While staying on vacation for two nights, one of my family members fell twice on the step leading to the second bedroom. For prime rates over the 4th of July holiday, I felt that it was too much. The only good things about the hotel are the location and the air conditioning.

Room Tip: Watch that you don't trip on the steps to the bathroom and second bedroom in the two double beds...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sl0gan1
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 2x. It's clean , walking distant to downtown dells , and cheap. They don't give park tickets but instead offer discount. No pool here to lounge around . If your here just for a weekend get away and want to go out to dinner , drinks and shopping this is the place !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vacationeerIllinois
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I met a friend in the Dells to hang out for a night. Our $50 for the room gave us everything we needed...a location within walking distance of several downtown eateries and pubs...and a clean and cozy place to sleep. Very clean bathroom. No breakfast or other extras...but for the price this is a great value.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank shelleyisgoing
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Our group of friends stay at the Finch Motel every year during Wo-Zha-Wa Days. It is nothing fancy...as it IS a small, older Motel...BUT the owners do a fantastic job at keeping the place exceptionally clean and updated! There are always plenty of fresh towels and the rooms (bed linen, floor, etc.) are perfectly clean. The rooms are also reasonably priced.

The owners also work at the front desk and are very friendly and accommodating.

The only drawback of the Finch is that their parking lot is EXTREMELY limited. They only allow one car per room....so if you have more than one car it is somewhat of a hassle to park. (You have to find street parking.)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank rsoltes
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The manager went out of her way for me and did not need to. It is a basic motel and there are no special attractions to stay there, but I found it more economical and convenient than staying at a high priced resort. This was in Downtown Dells and in walking distance to a supermarket, post office and walking downtown. I went to many of the resorts with waterparks and found them to be way to expensive. If cost and location are important stay at the Finch! The best time to visit the Dells is during the week, practically empty and you can get more for your waterparks and theme parks then. The Dells becomes very busy on weekends. A nice place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family