“sleepers beware!!!!”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
chicago, Illinois
“sleepers beware!!!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Please beware while sleeping at this hotel. They have BED-BUGS!! My most recent stay there was at the end of August with my daughter and boyfriend. 1 week later, my daughter came to me complaining that she had itchy red bumps on her legs. Because it was late August, I just ruled it out as being mosquitoes. Another week went by, and the bites became worse. I took her to the doctor and they told us she was being bitten by some type of bug. I searched the internet looking for answers and came across a site that talked about biting bugs; one particularly, the bed bug. They talked about how to find them and the most popular ways of getting them. And the number one way was getting them from hotels--no matter 5 star or 1 star they can be anywhere. I continued to follow the instruction in attempts of actually finding the bug, and discovered there had been a family of 5 bed-bugs living under her mattress. I called Wilderness in Wisconsin and they immediately denied the claim. Please, for your children's sake and the sake of going through the hardship of the extermination process, don't stay there. It's just not worth it.

4 Thank ada99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
Milwaukee
Reviewed October 4, 2008

We have yet to stay at the hotel for this review. But at the current time, we have learned (the hard way) that when you contact the hotel to make a reservation, they will imediately charge your account for the first night. MOST hotels, "hold" your info until checkout. We will now be in the habit of asking the desk clerk how their billing policy works. We had battled with the desk and our bank to find out what happend. Associated Bank told us that they recieve many phone calls like ours reguarding this hotel and a few others (not said).

Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, il.
Reviewed October 3, 2008

For starters, I am not a very picky person and visit the Dells on a regular basis and generally experience pleasant times, BUT the so-called management staff affiliated with The Wilderness, namely Wyndham Resorts, creates a horrible experience by badgering you to purchase a time-share. They (Wyndham) required you to attend what they advertise as a 45-60 minute no-obligation sales presentation which actually took 2hrs.,25 mins. when I had to finally say to them ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! I went to the Dells to enjoy my vacation not to purchase a $600.00/mo. time-share. This really convinced me to NEVER return as an over-niter. However, my kids had a blast at the waterpark. The resort at the time was filled to capacity and the affiliation with Wyndham Resorts will turn-off anyone. They are persistent, pushy and feel YOU owe them to stay at their resort. Since they own the Wilderness as well as quite a few hotels and resorts across America, they almost come close to predatory scare tactics, wearing you down, waiting 'til you are hungry, irritable and hoping you will break down and sign a binding contract to purchase their time-share. Anyone who falls for this tactic will truly regret they did so. As a time-share holder with another company, purchasing a time-share was one of the worst decisions I've ever made. They are "BASED ON AVAILABILITY" and always give you an excuse why you cant use the facilities because THEY say there's no vacancies. BEWARE!!!!!!

• Liked — water park
  • Disliked — the pushy Wyndham Resorts waste of my personal time
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank letsbehonestin08
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We just got home from our weekend stay and couldn't find anything wrong with it. All together there was eight of us in our early twenties. As we are all just starting our careers we wanted a cheap weekend get away. It came out to 55 dollars a person for the room, which is unheard of. We got an adjoining room, which was nice, a normal hotel room. The water parks were really fun and kept us entertained the entire time. The walk would be a bit much for older people or kids, but they do have a shuttle. Four people also went golfing at the family golf course(9 holes). It was only 21 dollars and some tax! With cart! The staff at the course was very nice and made them feel like Tiger Woods. They also said it was the prettiest course they had ever played on. All in all, it was an aweome weekend!

• Liked — The waterparks
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We recently spent 3 days at the Wilderness as part of a family reunion/vacation and it was a lot of fun! The place seemed really nice and well kept, and we were able to stay amused for the entire time. It is a pretty pricey place, but hey, you're in the Dells, so I don't think there's any getting around that. :)

We had six people staying together, so we opted for a 2 bedroom suite at the Glacier Canyon Lodge. The room we got was huge, clean and very new looking. There were two bedrooms, another bed that folded into the living room wall, 1.5 bathrooms, and a full kitchen complete with oven/stove, fridge and dishwasher. Everything had a woodsy cabin look to it, and looked to be brand new. For three days, we kept 6 people in this space, and no one felt like we were all crammed into a hotel room.

Our room happened to look right out on one of the water parks, and we could in fact walk out the patio door directly to the park. This was pretty handy, and showed just how sound-insulated the rooms are. Door open, and we could hear screams, splashes, etc. Slide it shut, and you'd never know we were less than a hundred yards away from hundreds of playing kids. Very nice, especially for mealtimes and evenings when we wanted a little bit of quiet.

The other water parks are closer to the other parts of the hotel, and since it's such a sprawling place, it can be quite a walk to get to them. It's well worth it, though, as the water parks are awesome! Indoor parks for evenings and chilly days, outdoor parks for when the weather is nice, tons of slides, a giant wave pool, hot tubs all over the place, and more! The slides are largely enclosed, so you're in the dark and have no idea where you're going, which is a blast. Suffice to say, we were there for three full days and always had something to do or another slide we wanted to ride again.

Ordinarily, a water park resort wouldn't exactly be my choice for a vacation - I generally prefer to explore and sightsee, but the Wilderness was awesome enough that I can pretty much overlook that. The room was fantastic, the water parks were tons of fun, and I had 3 great days with my family, relaxing and having a good time. The Wilderness exceeded my expectations for a Dells resort hotel, and I'd definitely recommend it to others.

• Liked — The water parks were phenomenal, huge and well kept up
  • Disliked — Kind of a long walk to get to all the water parks, but not too bad
1 Thank Cyclone05
Shawano, WI
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at Glacier Canyon at the Wilderness through a timeshare with Wyndham. This was the nicest suite we have ever stayed in. It was clean and was stocked with everything we needed. We didn't have to go out to eat since we had a fully loaded kitchen. We could have just stayed in the room and been quite happy.
We had so many options with the numerous indoor and outdoor waterparks. My 6 year old was able to go on many of the waterslides. My 3 year old was able to go on a few as well. My husband loved them all. We loved their outdoor lazy river. It had a double tube where the adult was partially in the water and the other side was flat so you could take a smaller child with and not have to cling onto them. The lifeguards were the best I have ever seen. They actually enforced the rules.
You had to walk a short way from park to park but that was nice also. They had a nice skywalk indoors and a pretty path outdoors. We have stayed at many waterparks but this was the best. There is no need to look elsewhere. This is the only place we will go to in the Dells.

• Liked — The large, clean rooms that were stocked with every amenity you could need.
  • Disliked — They didn't save my credit card number so I had to lug 3 kids back to our car to get the card.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed at Chula Vista for 3 days earlier in the week. Had so much fun that we decided to try a different resort at the Dells and see. We chose Wilderness / Glacier Canyon Lodge or so we thought ... We went to the Wilderness website, saw a Monthy's birthday special for the Glacier Canyon and decided to book it. We booked a Double Queen with a view. When we arrived, the front desk at Glacier Canyon told us we are booked at the New Frontier hotel; still part of Wilderness but a different complex. We were disappointed since Glacier Canyon is supposed to be new and that's what the website suggests we would be.

Anyway, we went to the New Frontier and it is not so new. In fact, the hotel building shows its age. The corridors are dark and many of the elevators smelled bad; like urine. We had a room on the third floor. Our kids (age 7 and 10) rather climbed the stairs with the luggage in tow than to take the elevators.

The hotel room itself is fine. A basic 2 double-queen bed room. Our room faced the New Frontier waterpark. We were impressed at how well the room was sound insulated because when we opened the balcony door, the waterpark was really loud. But with the door closed, you can't hear much. That was nice.

Our Monthy's Birthday deal came with free tickets for the Tommy Barlett show. To our delight, that was really fun. When we arrived, they told us the free tickets were for bench seats only. But we could upgrade our tickets for $3 each to close-up seats. We did it partly to support the local economy since we knew Lake Delton draining was hurting local business. We were glad we upgraded the seats because the show was really good. My kids loved the comedian joggler.

In terms of the waterparks at the Wilderness, we all liked the wave pool. The wave was descent size; unlike the Chula Vista one which had small wave. At the Lost World waterpark near the Glacier Canyon Lodge, there is a very creative and unusual outdoor lazy river. Portion of the river had jets, pouring buckets, a mechanical ramp to ride up the river and a short tube to ride down the river. It was much more fun than the normal indoor lazy river.

On the other hand, my son (age 10) and husband think the tube rides are more fun at Chula Vista. Partly because they have tubes at different levels all at one place. At Wilderness, the tube rides seem to be really advanced or somewhat mild. And they are more scattered. We didn't mind the walking but if you happen to like a couple of tube rides at different waterparks, you'll be walking back and forth a lot.

The one thing I liked about the Wilderness is that they offer a Kids Club with activities. This way, if your kids are waterpark-out, there are other things they can try. In fact, there was so much to do, we didn't have time to try the wagon ride, laser tag or duck race.

This is our first time to Wisconsin Dells and we really enjoyed the visit. Except for Orlando, we don't normally return to a travel destination. But we had so much fun, we may actually fly out again someday. I will definitely be recommending this destination to my friends and family.

• Liked — wave pool and lazy river.
  • Disliked — Dark hallway and elevators that smell like urine at the New Frontier hotel complex.