“Off Season Weekday Stay”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Indiana, United States
“Off Season Weekday Stay”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband and I drove 6 teenagers up to the Wilderness. By staying Sunday-Tuesday we were able to stay at a three bedroom condo for the price of a weekend hotel stay. We were able to walk to all the parks (excluding WOTL) and the kids spent the evenings in the adjacent park playing volleyball and soccer. The three bedroom condo was perfect for our needs. Girls upstairs with their own bathroom, and boys downstairs with their own bath. We were able to provide breakfast/lunch/dinner without restaurant expenses. A little wear and tear on the unit, but it is easier to be forgiving when you are paying less then 1/2 of in-season rate. Kept reminding myself that we were only a few of probably 2-5k people that sleep under the roof during the year. Lots of ceramic tile in the unit, combined with wet feet from the park, probably not the safest flooring choice.

Biggest disappointment was the check in process. We received a text message when our condo was available, but the message failed to note that the desk we checked in was no longer open. By the time I went from the waterpark to the original desk, to my car in a far off lot (suggested at check in) and drove around to find another lobby, I was not happy. A placard noting that the lobby desk is closed doesn't do any good unless it directs you to an open lobby. So grateful I was not travelling with a passel of toddlers. Goofy thing was the same clerk was at the 2nd check in desk as was at the 1st-so directing me to the second check in site should not have been to difficult.

Room Tip: Loved the Condo for a large group. We were in the 203 block which gave us some amazing sunsets.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Northeast Wisconsin
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Wilderness for a business conference. The conference center was spacious and up to date. I appreciated that it wasn't too cold as many conference centers seem to be. The bathrooms were clean and conveniently located.

My room was nice with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The room and bathroom were clean and the beds were comfortable. Nothing overly special, but I would stay there again. If you are going with a family, the water park was huge and looked like fun. My only complaint is that the room was not well lit and there was only a medium sized mirror above the sink. I would have appreciated a full sized mirror somewhere. Just minor details but they would have made my stay a bit more comfortable.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel never disappoints. We stay here at least twice a year and enjoy it every single time. The pools are awesome, beds are super comfortable, everything is clean, etc. Our two year old has an absolute blast and with all the activities in the pool areas, he never gets bored. We absolutely love this place! Take the advice of others and avoid the "free coupon book" gimmick at check in. Also, Sarrento's pizza is great and super fast delivery.

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I chose this resort this year for our anniversary trip. I've been wanting to go to a waterpark for a while now and this definitely hit the spot!

Since it was a special occasion, we went for a fancier room - a king bed, with a fireplace and a whirlpool tub. The room was definitely nice. My only complaint is that the whirlpool tub didn't fit 2 adults that well and the tub gave my husband some sort of rash.

As for the waterparks, I can only comment on the indoor parks - it was too cold for the outdoor ones. We arrived on a Thursday evening an left on Saturday morning. Those were the perfect days to go. No wait times on the slides until late Friday afternoon. The Klondike Kavern had a kids area, lazy river, and quite a few slides...the Hurricane was awesome. Definitely go on it at night! The Waterdome had an fun wavepool and 1 big slide. These 2 parks kept us entertained for a whole day. We were anxiously waiting for the Wild West to open on Friday afternoon, and unfortunately it was a little disappointing. Like the Klondike Kavern, it also had a kids area and quite a few slides. The slides seemed very similar to Klondike Kavern, but not as fun. Also, one of the slides here made me a little sick to my stomach, but I get motion sick very easily.

Beside the waterparks, the only other resort activity that we tried was the arcade. It was fun, but most games do not accept tokens - you have to purchase a weird players card. We also got some frozen yogurt, which was reasonably priced. There were tons of other things to do though for an extra cost - mini golf, lazer tag, a ropes course, bumper boats, etc. There were also a lot of restaurants and snack shops. I'm not sure of the prices though, because we chose to eat off the resort, except for the yogurt.

For the couple of days that we stayed, we had a great time! Although for the price, I don't think we would have wanted to stay any longer. I wish resorts in the US were all-inclusive...hotel, food and beverages to make things a little cheaper, but oh well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PinkDaisy007
Lancaster, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We go to the Wilderness every year to meet friends. We keep coming back because they have so much to offer. We have stayed at the resort hotel once and liked it but we started to find people that were willing to sell their Wyndham time share to us. We found this to be a better option. I think we pay less overall and we also get a washer/dryer with our room. Which comes in handy, because you can dry your suit and don't have to put on a wet suit when you go back down to the water park after you we eat supper on Saturday. We also dry the suits on Saturday night so when we leave on Sunday we don't have to have a wet suit in the luggage (we do not use the waterpark on Sunday - to hard with small children)

We like having 3 waterparks (we think there are 4 but never found the 4th one.) There are a lot of people at the Wilderness but with 3 waterparks it does not seem to be crowded. We have also started going in April and the number of people appear to be down compared to January/February.

We will continue to go back to the Wilderness, we talk about trying to the other waterparks but are considered with the number of people and how crowded it will be.

This trip we had a few issues - they forgot to give us wash clothes and we called to let them know and within 10 minutes they had towels for us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I've been traveling to the Wilderness Resort every year for the past five years, and I've never failed to have a great time. Always something to do at a reasonable price. Swimming, miniature golf, the arcade, childrens play area keeps the kids entertained for hours.

Room Tip: I always like to book a 2nd or 3rd floor room, as the skywalks that take you all over the resort are...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kati P
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I have traveled to the Wilderness two years in a row now--we enjoyed it so much the first time we decided to make it a yearly thing. Just got done with our second stay (which had some big shoes to fill) and we were not disappointed! Our room was awesome--super comfortable bed, great atmosphere. It was a great place to relax. We had an absolute blast with the waterparks...there is seriously something for everyone--thrill rides, wave pool, lazy river, indoor/outdoor hot tub. The waterpark staff was so friendly. All other staff members were also super welcoming and friendly even in passing down the hallway! There is just so much to do here...I can't wait to come back next year! Also wanted to add that we ate at Fields restaurant...so beyond delicious. Be prepared for high prices, but trust me, you get what you pay for at this place. Freshest, most delicious food ever.

Thanks for such a great time!!!!!! We'll see you next year!

Recommendation: DO NOT go and "claim" your "free coupon book"...they will try to solicit you to hell for a time share...This is literally the only bad thing I can say about this place, but it is easily avoidable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple