Our family of five (kids 15,12 & 7) stayed at Wildreness Thursday - Saturday Thanksgiving weekend. Overall we had a great time. The facilities were clean (with the exception of the restaurant, which I'll get to later), especially for how busy it was. After reading reviews here on TA I called ahead to request we NOT get a room on 2nd floor - boy was I thankful to TA for that tip! There was heavy traffic on 2nd fl going between waterparks and activities all day and most of the night. We did the fun pass, purchased in advance so there was a few $ off, and it was very worth it. The sky ropes course was great as was the laser tag and black light mini golf. A couple of the water slides were actually scary (this from a family that's done every ride at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens). We spent a lot of time in the wave pool because the building allowed sunlight and there were tropical plants... we felt almost like we were in Florida :) Our only complaint about the waterparks was that there were slides that weren't open on days when the hotel was completely booked. I don't know if there were mechanical issues or staffing issues - but with the knowledge that it'd be that crowded I'd think priority would be to have everything running. It wasn't just one or two- it was several.
The restaurant that served thanksgiving buffet ought to be shut down by the health dept. I once worked in hotel food service and I'm aware of violations and I saw many. I'm shocked no one in our fam got sick. The lines were incredible and even if you had a reservation you had to wait 20-30min. Hostess was very rude. Food was scattered all over the buffet service area. Serving utensils were missing. Many dishes were just empty. Food was all over the floor. Last but not least, they had a chocolate fountain on the desert table with marshmallows and strawberries to stab with a toothpick and dip - kids had their fingers in the chocolate and licking them, then back into the chocolate. Marshmallows all over the table, floating in the fountain, dirty table cloth. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it. Insult to injury- it was $100 for our five to be grossed out. We opted to eat all remaining meals OUT. Moose Jaw was good.
All in all- we'd definitely go back, probably in summer. And definitely eat elsewhere ;)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come play the day away in America's largest waterpark resort! The Wilderness has 4 indoor and 4 outdoor water parks totaling nearly 500,000 square feet (that is over 12 football fields of water fun!) We also have two indoor, 3-D, black light mini golf courses; outdoor mini golf; zip lining; go-karts; laser tag; Wild Rock Championship Golf Club; and award-winning spa services at Sundara Spa. Amazing lodging options include Wilderness themed guest rooms, condos, villas and cabins. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Wilderness Resort Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Wi Dells
- Wilderness Resort Wi Dells
- Resort Wilderness Wisconsin