“Fantastic Family Get-a-way”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Wilderness Resort - the last being 4 years ago & we have loved it each time. So much to do! Love the fact that once you are checked in you do not have to venture off the property everything you need is all here. We have an 8 hour drive to travel to the resort from Canada and it is well worth it. Check in was quick, our Suite was ready when we checked in at 3 p.m. It had the woods view, very nice & peaceful with a nice balcony to relax on. The Survivors bartender was very friendly - this was our first stop for my husband & I after our long drive; while our boys explored the resort getting their bearing where the waterparks were etc. 3 very large Indoor water parks right at the Wilderness main resort building. Incredibly fun water slides. The Hurricane is scary and exhilirating all the at the same time. Loved it! You definately get your workout from climbing the stairs to the tops of the waterslides. Loved the lazy river in the Kondike Kavern waterpark and the Big Wave Pool, wow! 5' rollers you get to float on when the wave pool starts up. Fun! The 2 glow in the dark Mini-golfs a lot of fun. The Lazer Tag even I had fun as did our boys. Brings out the kid in you. The Bumper boats again, Fun! The Mirror Maze and Tombstone Town very well done, Tombstone Town Beware not for those faint of heart. The Northern Ball Tower was lots of fun for our boys, they had a blast climbing the tunnels & shooting nerf balls at each other. But I think the best part as least for my youngest (11years old) was the Rope Course located above the Arcade. He did this twice really like it. My husband & oldest also did the Rope Course but for me it was too high. Very well done. We enjoyed Giant Banana Splits at Pistol Petes Ice Cream parlor & I do need to stress Giant! that they were.

Food we did not eat at the Wilderness, however plentifully available. We instead enjoyed breakfast just a very short drive away around the corner at Howies restaurant, good food & great prices, friendly staff. Dinners we also went to nearby places, the MooseJaw Pizza place and Monty's Bar & Grill.

Next time, I am sure my youngest will be trying out the Zip Line.
Souvenir shopping is great too as is the Candy store for sweets.

Looking forward to going back; perhaps with a larger group next time; it would be Fun!

Room Tip: rooms on 2nd floor are on the main walkway. From one end to the other is about a 15 min walk.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Wilderness Resort

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Last year we stayed in the "hotel" part of The Wilderness and I said that I would never go back again because the beds were horrible. I was talked into staying at the Glacier Bay part of the Wilderness and I can say that i will continue to go to the Wilderness and stay at Glacier Bay. We had a King room, bed was comfortable, kitchen had all dishes needed, plenty of room for my wife, and two little kids and me. The water parks are nice not very crowded as only guests are allowed at the parks. the arcade and indoor play area is a nice way to end the night after a day of playing in the water. Once again do not stay in the Hotel part.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank joseph k
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Having done most of the other small waterpark hotels in the region, we decided last summer it was time to make the trek to Wisconsin Dells for a family vacation. Friends recommended Wilderness and we were not disappointed. If you have kids who love waterparks, ignore the negative reviews and book your stay at Wilderness. It's all about the parks!! The room was average, but it was clean and convenient. We weren't there that often anyway, we were out discovering the amazing amount of activities offered by this resort. One of the best perks was being able to pick up a DUCK ride right in the parking lot. So fun! The only one thing I would suggest is maybe one dining option in the resort where healthier food is available, instead of just burgers and fries joints. A Subway or other sort of sandwich deli would be perfect.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the second floor as that is the main passageway from each resort area to the ne...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have rented a five bedroom cabin two out of the last three years for a complete family getaway and have not been disappointed. The last trip included our four children, their spouses and 9 grandchildren.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank johnronh
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Best resort! Been to a few in Dells and this tops them all. 4 water parks, could spend easily three days there. Such great pricing for the room we got. Can't wait to go again! We will always pick this resort.

Room Tip: We picked two bed with private couch area and view of woods. Such a great amount of space and beauti...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights/4 days at the Wilderness to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We were there in the beginning of October. We knew it would be less busy since it is during the off peak season (which was fine by us! We do not have kids). Here are my pros and cons to our stay.

Pros:
- We arrived early (about 1 pm). Happy to say, our room was available and we were able to get right in.

- The mini fridge and microwave. We usually vacation in condos so we can bring our own food to save money. Even though this was not a full kitchenette, we were able to still make breakfast and lunch in the room. Helped save us a few bucks on food!

-Indoor water parks. We enjoyed them (except for the guards/managers, see below). We are in our late 20's, no kids and we were able to still have fun. Try the 4 person tube ride in Klondike Kavern. It is awesome!

- Walking. Everything in the hotel is close by, walking was not a problem. It took us about 5 minutes to walk to the pool each night. Klondike Kavern and The Dome are connected, so when The Dome closed at night, we were able to use the walk way to get to Klondike Kavern.

Cons:
- The lifeguards/pool managers. I have never in my life seen guards who spend very little time as possible paying attention to the pools. I come from a Ellis Platium level aquatic park and was disgusted by the amount of "playing" these guards do. I watched one guard twerking on stand while the other 3 laughed. Numerous times I saw male guards with their backs to the pool while flirting with female guests. The amount of excessive whistle use was just plain annoying. How would the other guards know there was a real emergency if they were constantly blowing their whistles at each other for fun? I have to say the Klondike Kavern was better as far as staff/guards go. Most of this I saw while at the Dome (wave pool). And the managers? Don't get me started on them. I only saw two who appeared to be doing their job. The others would prance around and joke with the guards on stand and chit chat with them while they were suppose to be watching the water. A complete disgrace. I hope that no one ever drowns at The Wilderness, because forget getting saved by this group!

- Room cleaning. Our room was only cleaned once during our stay (the first night). Not a big deal, but why only one time?

- Smell. The hotel has a funny smell. Cleaning supplies maybe? We were used to it though by our second day.

- Wyndham. Oh my. I go on vacation to RELAX, not get hounded by a sales pitch! I knew as soon as we went to get our coupon book after checking in we were going to have a problem. I kept telling the lady at the desk we were not interested and she kept pushing. They called our room twice a day until the day we left. Phone calls started at 8 am. What if I had kids who were sleeping in?

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The cons for us were not a deal breaker in our opinions (except for the guards, grrrr that just made me mad!).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pigleta18
Reviewed October 8, 2013

What a place to be IN...booked a cabin for a group of 12-15 people. The amenities were as expected...too good. and then the free entry to the inddor water park was ice on the cake. Wonderful place to relax, chill and away from the day to day tension...

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends