“Wilderness on the Lake”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
St. Charles, IL
“Wilderness on the Lake”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The resort was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful! I was worried that since we were across the lake from the main resort and waterparks that it would be a hassle to get to and from everyday. However, the shuttle service was excellent. We hardly had to wait for a boat or shuttle...it was run very efficiently. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
Oak Forest, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This waterpark resort is a must if you're looking for a single place to spend more than just a night. There are 3 indoor waterparks on the main campus, and multiple outdoor parks during the summer. We have been coming back for 3 years, and the kids love it. They have a selection of things to do, and they never get bored. One thing to keep in mind is this is NOT a high service establishment. Many high school and college age people working even in management roles. Their idea of service is maybe mustering up the enthusiasm to smile at you. Also, as with most places like this, the food is outrageously priced for the low quality. Do yourself a favor and hit up some of the local establishments to eat.

Room Tip: Always request a room NOT on the main floor. A room on this floor will have you fighting with the c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I loved my stay here. the place is spread out which made us feel like we are at a new place each time. our rooms were ok, but very clean and the view of the pool just added more fun for us. we visited all the pools, parks at the wilderness. everywhere you want to go, there is a shuttle to take you there or the gold carts. the staff was very friendly. the good on the premises was expensive but there are restaurants all around which made us feel like home, because we were able to get the food we love the most.
the hurrican is the best ride ever and we had fun on it.
most people dont like the fact that it is wide spread but that was a plud for us, being there for 4 days, you need to see something new each time and it was worth it for us. will for sure visit this resort again.
i am also very happy that we got the 3rd floor room because the traffic makes so much noise for the people on the first and second floor. our floor was quiet and lovely!!!

Thanks WIlderness for a great vacation.
Christine K

Room Tip: Get the 3rd floor rooms, you will love the peace and quietness. you will cry if you are on the secon...
Lyndon,IL
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Condos are always very clean! It's beautiful in the condo area and so relaxing. We love the screened in porch to sit and just relax and enjoy the outdoors. This entire park is so clean and has a friendly staff!

Room Tip: We have stayed in many different condos and have loved all of them!
Chicago
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Wilderness Resort. The waterparks are very nice and well maintained. There is a lot to do especially if it is warm enough to use the the outdoor waterparks. Yes, it is spread out, but that means there is also a lot to keep you busy. Our kids are ages 9 & 11 and it was perfect for them. They didn't mind walking to go to different parks. It could be a little more challenging with young children. Once you figure out where everything is, it really is not that bad to navigate. The room was on the small side, but was adequate for our family of four. We might try a condo next time for more space. The on-site food was average and expensive. We will be eating more outside of the resort on our next visit. Overall, a very nice vacation.

Room Tip: Third floor is more quiet.
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I took our toddler son to this resort for a mini family vacation. There are endless activities for children. We spent a majority of our time at the indoor and outdoor waterparks. There are three indoor and three outdoor waterparks spread throughout the resort. There are actually a total of eight waterparks, but two of them are at the resort located next to the lake and require a shuttle bus. The other six are located within the main resort complex and are connected through skyways, so you never need to go outdoors. We, also, took our son to one of the many arcades. I would recommend checking out their website to see the entire list of activities if you are interested in staying at this resort. There is plenty to do. This resort is geared towards families with children. I would not book this if you are looking for an adult getaway.

When I made the reservations to stay at this resort I was a bit frustrated. For a while they had a special for $99/night for the low-peak days we were looking to travel. Of course when I decide to make the reservation that price wasn't available anymore either because the rooms at that price point had sold out or they had increased the price. I had been looking at this special for a decent amount of time and even had looked a few days prior to booking and they were still priced at $99/night. So I just must have bad luck. I believe I paid $125/night for two queens and a sofa sleeper. Which is still reasonable. Please note that they do charge a daily resort fee of $9.95 and 11.5% room tax. The first person I spoke with while trying to make reservations was not very friendly. I wanted to know why there were not any rooms available for $99/night when that was what they were advertising. They weren't really able to give me an explaination. I called a couple of more times before just paying the room rate of $125/night. They do have different types of rooms, so you pay accordingly.

Both check-in and check-out went smoothly and I didn't have to wait at all. The reservation staff was friendly and helpful.

I would have to say that our room was just ok. It was very clean. It was showing signs of wear. Paint was chipping. The outdoor patio furniture needs to be replaced. It is an older hotel, so they probably need to look into doing some room repairs. The room had a horrible musty smell that I could not get over. I wish the vanity/sink would have been in the bathroom as opposed to in the room. I thought the beds were comfortable. We had two flat screen tvs in our room. It was nice having a mini fridge and microwave. They have free wifi in the rooms, which is always a big hit with me.

We did encounter some room issues with the people above us. The people above us were extremely loud. All we heard was nonstop banging noices and this went on well into the late evening. I'm not sure if the kids where jumping on and off the beds or if the hotel has poor noice barriers. This happened both nights. I didn't bother calling the front desk, because I'm sure they were just kids having fun on their vacation. If we stay again I will be requesting a third floor room.

We stayed there on a Sunday and Monday to avoid the crowds and went probably during low-peak season. They had just opened the outdoor waterparks the weekend we arrived. It was cold the first day, so we only used the indoor waterparks. The second day we were able to use the outdoor waterpark. There was plenty of things for everyone at the waterparks. I loved that they had an adequate amount of lifeguards on staff and they seemed very friendly. They do not let you carry in food or beverages to the waterparks. You have to purchase food and beverages at their snack areas. Parents can purchase adult beverages in the waterpark areas. There is not a lot of seating available. We had a hard time finding seating and we were there when it was not busy. I cannot imagine what seating is like when it is busy.

There are plenty of places to eat at this resort. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants, we ate at local resturants in the area.

I would probably stay here again. I would not stay during high-peak season, because I think the prices are too expensive and it would be too busy for my liking. That is, however, just my preference. I do like that everything is easily accessible. It is located near several restaurants and the Tanger outlet mall. Not to mention there is plenty for kids to do. Overall, it is a pretty nice resort and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the third level if possible. The second level connects the resorts tog...
1 Thank jessilynn28
Middleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our family loves heading to the Dells. This was our first time staying at the Wilderness Resort. There are 5 of us, and we booked a double queen with a sleeper sofa. Overall, the room was fine. Quiet, clean, had what you would expect. The property has tons of activities but is VERY spread out. A system of walk ways or shuttles will help you get around, but it was average. I could also do without the time share sales pitch at check-in. I may stay here again, but would look at other options first.

1 Thank JoeP1976