“Wilderness VS Kalahari”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 11, 2012

13 of us stayed in a condo at Glacier Canyon lodge at the Wilderness Resort.
The condo was clean and well stocked. The staff was accommodating.
Part of the resort are time shares so be prepared to be asked if you want to attend a presentation to get a $100 gift voucher.
Public Bathrooms could have been attended more often.
Ramps in the pool area could have been more clearly marked as it was hard to navigate through with strollers.
You recieve towels cards at check in and if you do not return them you are charged $25 per card NOT returned.
After we split the condo price between 3 families it was comparable to other resorts in the Dells.
Rooms,cleanliness,accommodating staff and price are close to the same at the Kalahari.
The biggest difference are the water parks.
We went to the Kalhari 3 years ago when our kids were 3,5&7 and they could go on almost every slide and the indoor and outdoor parks are connected so it was all easy to access.
The wilderness has 6 water parks all quite a hike from each other and have height requirements (42 and 48 inches to ride alone or with an adult) on all the slides except for the ones in the kiddie areas.
It was fun but please consider this:
We went with 5 children this time 2 yr old twins,6,8,10 the oldest 2 were over 48 inches so it worked for them but not the other children SO due to the height restrictions and far hikes to each water park I reccomend the Kalahari as it seemed more accommodating to families.
Make sure everyone is over 48 inches.

• Stayed: July 2012
36  Thank Roothey
Write a ReviewReviews (3,053)

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband had to leave a day early due to health problems. the Wilderness Lodge sent us a gift card instead of refunding it back to our credit card. We will never be back and are stuck with a 244.00 gift card. Here is the problem...Matt the manager was rude and insensitive and insisted my husband told him we left for a different reason. Really....he didn't want everyone to know abut his problems. We even offered a doc's note but oh no policy is policy. I told Matt that I thought his job was to be a problem solver and nice to customers. Guess I was wrong. They need an undercover boss there to see how they treat people....nasty.

22  Thank yorkie4us
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Still best value and cleanliness. Lots of areas to visit from scary to lazy river. Could use some cleaning on stairways to waterslides but other than that in great shape. Shuttle bus to main wilderness nice and convenient. Best place to do the one stop and done and avoid running all over the dells when its crazy hot.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank spendingdagreen406
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I just returned from a one night stay at the Wilderness Resort with my two teenage boys, 15 and 14. For the first time, I booked a room at the resort itself instead of at Wilderness on the Lake. It was just fine! I'd heard/read stories of how noisy it is at the main resort but we were just fine. We stayed in a pool ground level double room. It was nice that the boys could go to the waterpark right from the room while I waited for our Sarento's pizza (decent but way overprized for such a small 'large' pizza) to arrive. It is true that everything is quite a hike to get to within the resort and for this reason, it is wise to specify the area (i.e New Frontier, Wild West) that you want to stay at when booking the room, especially for a shorter stay. Having been here before, I kinda new what I wanted to be close to so I asked for a room in the New Frontier area and that worked well for this trip. The boys enjoyed the arcade.

A word of warning....you will be heavily pressured into attending a sales presentation at Glacier Canyon on their Wyndham points/timeshare deal. When you check in, you're given a 'ticket' to get a coupon book if you go to this other desk right next to check in. Always interested in coupons in the pricey Dells, I went to claim my book and that's where they hit you up for the sales presentation at Glacier. They offered 125 in American Express cards, game tokens for the arcade and a 3 day/2 night hotel stay if we went immediately to this sales presentation at Glacier Canyon. If the $$ is worth it to you, go for it, but be prepared for 2 hours. The gal at the 'coupon desk' will say things like it takes as long as you have questions, you really determine how long you're there but that is total BS. They keep you 2 hours. I went through it and politely declined to purchase the points program and received my gifts at the end. Just know what you're getting into and if you do go, it's nice to walk around with some extra cash in the Dells.

On a final note, I will say that I've been coming to the Wilderness since 2005 with my kids and it's kind of going downhill. I think they're over extending the resort. It took my kids an hour in line to ride the hurricane. If they want to keep adding rooms, villas, condos, etc they need to expand the waterparks. The waterparks haven't changed or grown much since the resort was built. One of the big perks of staying at the Wilderness is they don't sell day passes to non-guests but that diminishes if they just keep adding as many rooms as possible and cater to large groups with their condos/villas. All that said, it's still, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck waterpark resort wise in the Dells. There are lots of options for families to do. They've also added a lot of other activities at the resort, of course you have to pay extra for those, like mini golf, go carts, haunted house, etc. The place can get quite expensive quite fast. If I'm paying $300 (including a 'resort fee') for one night in a basic hotel room I think some of that should also be included instead of gouging guests at every turn.

Room Tip: Take a look online at the resort map and think about the waterparks/activities that will interest yo...
17  Thank myllek
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We have been to the Wilderness many times and have enjoyed our stays. During this past 4th of July holiday weekend, we have had to visit the First Aide station several times. High praise for the way that each life guard has been trained. They were friendly, gentle, and caring in their administration of first aide. One son was cut on the foot by something in the water and the staff showed great concern to find the problem and acted upon it.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I don't even know where to start, okay here we go....

CONS:

The resort itself is kept decently clean and so were the rooms, but for what we paid for the room I expected much more out of a "suite".

The most annoying part is that 98% of the employees don't speak English.

Equally as annoying is the fact that you have a 15 minute walk min. to each different water park/restaraunt etc. We definitly spent more time walking than we actually spent enjoying the water park!

Bring your own entertainment after the hours of 7pm. The water parks are closed, not a single pool left open. And the bar(s)/arcade all close early as well.

The beds were okay, definitly not comfortable. And the pillows are HORRID, if you still go to this place after reading this bring your own pillows!!

Our fridge was left open and off so the carpet was soaked when we got there and it took forever for the fridge to cool back down so we could use it.

Quite a few of the slides/pools were shut down, wonder if it's because they didn't have enough staff to cover having them on???

Even though it wasn't crazy busy there was NEVER a spot to put your stuff while you were swimming etc at the outdoor parks.

PROS: (kind of...?)

All of the lifeguards were pretty attentive, except for the fact I was in the middle of getting on a tube/raft thing (that holds 4-5 people), my boyfriend and nephew got on and she let it go down the slide as I only had one foot in the tube. Needless to say I had to get the one foot out and be careful not to slip all the way down the slide since she couldn't keep from letting go. She just gave me this look like 'whoopsie' and put both her arms up then ingnorned me. I never did go down that slide and had to walk all the way back down the stairs.

The food at survivors was GREAT, our watiress was crappy and you could tell they didn't have enough wait staff. The bartender there (an older guy) at night both nights was really nice though. Although he also didn't recommend any of the other restaraunts conncected to the resort. (ps go to R PLACE not SORRENTOS)!!

Room service did a great job!!

If you have older kids, there aren't many 'thrill slides' or attractions so I would recommend a Noah's Ark for that. But the slides I did go on were pretty fun and good for younger kids/teens.

The breakfast buffet at the Cafe in the lobby was FANTASTIC.

3  Thank bebedoll20
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just got back from Wisconsin Dells and what a great time it was. Well worth the 12 hour drive. We spent 2 nights 3days at the Wilderness Territory in the main hotel section and wished we had been able to stay longer. The waterparks were great, are favourite was the Hurricane. The wave pool alternates wave patterns and sometimes they are so big you get smashed around (lots of fun if you are careful). The staff was friendly, many coming from overseas so there were some minor language issues but they tried really hard. Our room didn't have the keycard A/C as someone else complained about but I have been to a hotel in Mexico that did (hint: get an extra key and leave it in the room for more A/C). The room was large and comfortable with fridge, microwave and sink, and so close to the action. They had shuttles and golf carts available if you didn't feel like walking. We took the boat over to Wilderness on the Lake, but didn't spend any time there. It's a beautiful hotel but the waterpark was small compared to the rest. The kids loved the indoor playground at night (don't forget socks). There are a lot of things to spend money on but we didn't get anything extra, and either ate out or made food in our room. We would definately go back, but we have to wait until my son gains 3 lbs so he can ride the looping waterslide.

1  Thank Lee-Ann J