“DON'T STAY AT THE WILDERNESS RESORT- WARNING: BED BUGS!!!!!”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed here the weekend of 4/29/11 in their glacier canyon wing of the resort. After 1 night of staying, I awoke to find a bed bug crawling in the bed I slept in. Upon pulling back the sheets I was able to find another 1!!! I showed this to housekeeping and they credited is for the nights stay, but now both of my arms have two tons of bumps on them that itch terribly!!! I will never stay there again!!

• Stayed: May 2011
28  Thank LexMo
WildernessResort, General Manager at Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

The Wilderness has a successful 15+ year track record of keeping our facility clean & guests satisfied. We have received countless positive reviews over the years, and if a situation such as this is brought to our attention, our management has the authority to immediately address it and resolve it. We know that only satisfied guests will return to our property for future visits. Thus, our management team, housekeeping and customer service representatives work tirelessly to make sure that our property is up to the standards that everyone expects.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed at the lake 4th floor. Love the room but old tvs, holes in bed spreads. The constant shuddle rides are bs too much wait time. The Klondike was so packed it was unsafe if you have smaller children. Checked on pool times at night and prepared to go and found it was closing when we arrived. Two employees had the wrong info and screwed our evening. God forbid you get there attention from reading a book or texting while working.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank Tom0520
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Nice time - myself, my husband, 2 sons - ages 12 & 10 and a 12 year old friend of my older son. Room was clean, but the basic cheapest room is a little tight for 2 adults and 3 kids. Parks are VERY spread out - got tired of all the walking. However, the advantage of smaller waterparks is that there is less room for the kids to get lost. Had no problem letting them roam on their own within each park.

The BIG problem we had was Friday night - 2 of the 3 waterparks close at 9:00pm. The Klondike Kavern is open until 10:00pm. So we, like a million other people, headed to the Klondike Kavern at 9:00. It was INSANELY crowded, especially with loud teenagers. There wasn't one inch of space in the hot tub. I feared for my 10 year old son's safety in the lazy river. He spent over 10 minutes waiting for an inner tube, only to be trampled more than a handful of times by the teenagers trying to get the inner tubes as well. We left after those 10 minutes having no clue why the resort would allow this type of a crowd in one waterpark. I can't imagine it is safe for anyone. We were very disappointed & think it would help to have at least one more of the parks open until 10:00. My advice - leave at 9:00pm and don't seek out the Klondike Kavern for that extra one hour. You'll spend the entire time in line anyway. Also, I was surprised (and kind of scared, actually) to see security guards in the waterparks Friday evening. I guess that is a good thing, considering the crowd, but wish it wasn't necessary.

One more thing - I agree with previous reviews about the noise levels in the hotel. My family was woken up at 6:30 Saturday morning by the family in the room next door. The mom & dad were yelling at their child, who continued to cry nonstop. Not a fun way to be woken up when we're exhausted anyway.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BaseballFan5
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed at Glacier Canyon three years ago and loved it. Service was fantastic, everything looked nice and clean and we enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately I can't say the same after staying there this past weekend.

The Good:
Front desk service and a clean room.

The Bad:
Shuttle service was HORRIBLE. 20+ minute wait for one that wasn't full. When one did finally arrive, all we heard from the driver was how full the resort was and that there are only two shuttles. The last thing I want to hear is excuses for poor service, especially when the excuse is that the hotel is full which means they're making a ton of money. The poor service tells me that the resort does not know how to manage resources when near or at full capacity. The sad part is, I was by far not the only person complaining. Everyone I ran into had the same complaint about the shuttles. We ended up driving ourselves everywhere on the resort.

The water parks looked worn out, for a lack of a better word. Foam insulation was missing from slides, many of the steel braces were showing a large amount of rust and parks just looked 'old' and not kept up.

For the cost of our stay and based upon my previous visit, I expected so much better. Next trip to the Dells, we'll be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
7  Thank SeeThruCar
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My family and I stayed in a 2-bedroom villa that slept 9. My husband, three boy tweens, and I were comfortable and had plenty of room in the villa. It felt like we were at home and could relax and cook most of our meals. We were happy to have the space and privacy and did not want to compromise by staying in the hotel. The villa was super clean! FYI, if you plan to tip the housekeeping do it each morning. The cleaning staff comes in, exchanges out your old towels for new ones, and can give you kitchen cleaning tools as well. If you tip at the end, on of your stay the "strippers" (the people who strip down your linens) get the tip and they don't share with the housekeeping staff. Our housekeeping service came while we were still in the villa and she gave us more bath and kitchen towels along with dishwasher detergent. We tipped our house keeping lady and she was thrilled due to the fact this was the first tip she has ever received while being employed at the Wilderness. She gave us great service not because of the expectation of a tip but because she wanted to give good service. This was admirable and was noted in our stay.

The water parks were great and were enjoyed by the entire family. We did splurge on a cabana and it was well worth it. The cabana was air-conditioned and came with a flat screen, seating for 8, mini fridge, beach towels and a hostess. Seating was difficult to come by at the parks unless you got there super early and staked out a spot. It was nice to be able to lounge in style! I was even able to do some work on my laptop and participate on conference calls without being disturbed.
Pros: Lots of space in Villa and cabana was worth it

Cons: Bed was uncomfortable in Master Suite and TV’s were old and couldn't hook up a gaming system

We checked in on Wed and out on Friday during Easter Weekend. Our stay was busy with other spring breakers but it seemed it was more congested as Easter weekend neared. We were glad we went during week! Our family enjoyed the trip and will come back in the summer when more attractions are open.

Room Tip: Book during week weekends are more expensive.
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Walls are paper thin. Because all foot traffic to waterparks is on the 2nd floor, it sounds like a herd of cattle literally all day until the pools close and then starts up at 8 am again. I asked to be moved but place was sold out. Feel like I could've saved a few bucks staying somewhere less crowded and paid for waterpark separately and slept in on my vacation!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Ok so besides the extremely annoying bathroom fan sound that it like scratching a chalkboard, most things in our room have been fine, But there were 2 security extremes overlooked.

1. Wednesday 4/20, after going to one of the water parks, we come back to our room to find that housekeeping had forgotten to lock the door, and had left the security loop in the wrong position, and we were able to just push open our door.

2. Today we return from wandering to different attractions, and our room keys don’t open the door, my wife explained this to the girl at the desk, and she seemed more accusatory than apologetic, not one apology for the mistake, meanwhile while I was waiting in the Hallway 4 buildings and 2 water parks away with my 3 yr old boy, (a chore in itself) a nice Housekeeping employee did let me into the room.

On a fun note, while getting new key cards, my wife asked if they do not work what number I call, she received the response of, "0" dial "0". My wife's response was "If I’m still locked out of my room what am I going to dial 0 on, my cell phone?"

That experience mirrored an inquiry I had, I had asked the girl behind the counter how to utilize the shuttle bus to get back to our room, so we did not have to walk, and the only response I received was "you have to go to entrance 3 and dial 0", expecting more of a reply such as entrance 3 is down this corridor I asked again. "Ok say I wanted to use the shuttle bus say, right now, how would I do that?" with no other direction, I received, go to entrance 3 pick up the phone and dial "0", I replied with a non sarcastic "Thanks Anyways". This experience proves you get what you pay for.

Thoughts anyone?