“Great family mini break to the great wolf!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Our family of six consisting of four kids ages 12, 9, 6 and 3 spent two nights at the Great Wolf Aug 2014 on a little getaway. We live about three hours from the Dells and this is the fourth waterpark resort we have tried. We really enjoyed our stay! I was a little nervous before going because I had read it was more for small children and my older kids are daredevils but they greatly enjoyed the stay as well and are already asking to go back!

Check in was quick and efficient. We got two paw passes for the kids to share which ended up being a GREAT deal. The boys got the magic quest games and wands and both felt it was their most favorite thing to do. The girls used the build a bear. We shared the cups, candy, ice cream and other goodies that came with the pass.

Location is excellent, near many eateries and an outlet mall which we walked over to. It was a short drive to the downtown area and other attractions. The waterpark consisted of three areas and an outdoor park. It was a little on the cool side so we didnt spend much time outdoors. The indoor park areas were fun. There were plenty of slides for our three year old to enjoy that were perfect for her. She also enjoyed the large wave pool which was warm and fun. The older three enjoyed the various slides, with Howlin tornado being the favorite. There were three other tube slides and some mat racers we all enjoyed as well as a few body slides. Only thing I missed that other parks had was a decent lazy river. Staff in the waterparks were so vigilant, we were really impressed. I also really liked the fact that the dont admit outside guests, you must be staying at the resort. It never seemed crowded at all.

The storytime and clock show in the lobby were loved by our youngest, and definitely geared to the younger set, but truly with the magic quest and some of the bigger slides, our older kids seemed to have just as much fun.

Our room was a kids cabin and it was a super cute set up with a bunk bed and daybed in the cabin part and then a queen and pull out in the main part. Kids felt the beds were a bit hard but were so tired they fell asleep quickly at night. We enjoyed having our own private balcony. Room was clean and in good repair.

We would not hesitate coming back to this resort, but will probably continue trying other parks as well as each place has something different to offer!

2  Thank tln331
Write a ReviewReviews (3,493)

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Our group of 5 age 71 to 8 had a fantastic time. Our room was clean, service was prompt, the atmosphere great. The water park was a ton of fun. Check-in was a bit slow but we expected to wait. The lobby has a pine scent - nice touch. Every staff member was helpful and friendly. All staff members greeted us in the halls. The water park is clean and well maintained. Super fun water slides. The tornado slide is a must. Be ready to climb a lot of stairs. The lifeguards are spot-on. Every inch of the water is being watched like a hawk. Safety is taken very seriously at Great Wolf Lodge. Before we left we were planning our return visit. Our kids, 13 & 8 loved it. Grandpa loved it too. We highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Sarge000
Reviewed August 7, 2014

After a LOT of research of the many Wisconsin Dells waterpark hotels, my parents settled on a Great Wolf gift card for our large Christmas gift for our family. They were told repeatedly by WI Dells travel advisors that this hotel would be most family friendly for you her kids. We just returned from our summer vacation there with our 3and 6year old girls and it was so wonderful!

Our stay lasted from Tuesday through Thursday and from check-in (wolf ears for kids!) to check out, we loved every minute. We had a fourth floor room under a peak, so we had a beautiful room with high, peaked ceilings which was a nice change. The kids and adults loved the variety in the waterpark and it never once felt crowded. We've been in other hotel water parks in the Dells that open to public or give passes out through other hotels and they are chaos inside. This was so much better. The kids also loved story time and the CubCub art area.

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a PawPass, as MagiQuest was a huge hit! For my six year old it was the highlight! They both loved the new "build a bear" type friend and other treats on the pass. We had them share a pass and only had to buy a second glitter tattoo, as everything else was shared just fine.

The staff were great in all areas. Lifeguards are Super alert-always moving and training. Staff members stopped the kids with stickers in the halls. Desk staff was helpful and kind. Great pack!

Room Tip: You won't be in your room much because there's so much other fun to have throughout the hote...
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin in August of 2014. We rented out a condo (2 BR, 1 Bath). I'm going to be fair to the property with this review and will cover some of the great aspects of our trip and some of the horrible aspects as well.

For some background, we live about 1 hour away from Wisconsin Dells and have stayed at literally all of the major resorts located there.

The Great Wolf Lodge is great for a family that has a child who is 12 years old or younger. None of the other major resorts in the Wisconsin Dells area seem to have the amount of things to do for kids 12 year old or younger as the Great Wolf Lodge does. While there are also things in the waterpark for the "big kids", the Great Wolf Lodge cannot compare to The Kalahari or The Wilderness. With that being said, they have a plethora of activities and rides that younger kids will not only love but will keep them busy for hours on end. From walking in you will find a station for kids to color and make creations. You'll see the giant clock tower which has not only character visits a couple of different times a day, to an entire show that you can go watch. The Great Wolf Lodge also boasts a "Magic Quest" type of interactive game (which we did not partake in, but I have heard is fun).

Continuing on the positive side of things, the Great Wolf Lodge had some FANTASTIC food options. As with any resort class stay you can expect to pay higher prices, but I found that the Great Wolf Lodge was comparable or better than other resorts that we have stayed in (as far as price). The quality of the food was excellent and portions were large. I would highly recommend eating at the "Loose Moose" as their wings and the Cod dinner were excellent. We found the bartender (Lindsey) to be not only friendly but she provided over the top service during our time there. We also ordered pizza within the resort and found the quality and price to be excellent as well. I'm not sure how long this offer lasts, but by liking the Great Wolf Lodge on Facebook AFTER making our reservation, we got a collectors mug (very large) for free at check-in. This sells for $12.99 by itself but gives you unlimited refills of soda, water or sports drinks during the duration of your stay. If you are staying more than 2 or 3 nights, I would recommend getting this as we made very good use out of it (and it was FREE for us).

So overall, the most positive parts of this resort comes from tailoring their items to a younger crowd and the food options/value associated with on site dining. Unfortunately, there were also a lot of negatives related to this resort (especially when compared to other similar resorts in the area).

First, the value for your money. I fully expected the Great Wolf Lodge to be cheaper than other resorts in the area based on the fact that the actual property is much smaller than many of the other properties, this is not the case. Last year (August 2013), we paid significantly less for a three bedroom, two bathroom condo at Glacier Canyon (part of the Wilderness). The condo at the Great Wolf Lodge was SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than that of the one we had for about $900.00 less at Glacier Canyon/Wilderness. I wouldn't say we were disappointed in the actual condo, we just expected more for what you are paying. The condo itself is fully furnished but we found some significant flaws. The outdoor patio is nice, but be aware that if you have a very small child that can walk, he/she can fit between the dividers and potentially can fall. We obviously paid very close attention to our child at all times, but I would have expected more than a design flaw such as this. The TVs were the standard flat screens but had significant picture problems (lines running through all of the channels). I understand that many people don't sit and watch TV during vacation, but it is nice to unwind at night with the TV sometimes. Several areas of the carpeting in the room were ripped up and never repaired. In addition several spots were very hard indicating some sort of stain on them that was never cleaned up. Be aware that the rooms are quiet, but not if someone is above you. People simply walking around can be heard clear as day and is VERY loud at night. If you don't have your "Do Not Disturb" sign up, they will come in to clean every day which is nice. We found that they never vacuumed at all during our stay though and there is no vacuum in your room. In addition, there is no laundry in your room as you may find with many other condos in the area.

The other negative came in the area of front desk service. At one point in our stay we literally ran out of toilet paper (I guess they didn't restock it when cleaning) and Kleenex. We attempted to call the front desk (around 8:00PM) for a period of 30 minutes and nobody answered during any of our calls. We just got rerouted to the main line and never got to talk to anyone. We ended up walking down to the front desk where we found others looking for the same thing. The front desk was not busy at the time and was staffed well so I'm not sure why nobody answered during our 30 minutes or so of on and off calling. We also noted that the service staff cleaning the rooms were quite unpleasant. Almost any resort that we have stayed in, we have found that cleaning staff have always said "hello" or "enjoy your stay" or smiled at you as you passed. We never once were talked to by any of the service staff even though we passed by groups at a time several times throughout the day. At one point in our stay, the power went out at 5:30AM and was out for around 30-45 minutes. I called the front desk and they answered this time and advised the whole resort was out of power and they were not sure why. While I can't attribute this necessarily to the Great Wolf Lodge, it really burned out our day because our young child woke up during the outage (he sleeps with a fan) and was up from 5:30AM onward. I talked with a staff member about it later in the day at the "Loose Moose" and she said to talk to the front desk staff as she figured they would offer a discount on that night due to the issue. When I brought it up to the front desk, they simply stated it was not their fault and didn't seem to want to offer anything in return, but did (eventually) offer a late checkout.

Overall it was an average stay. When I look back and weigh everything together I probably would not stay at the Great Wolf Lodge again. The value and service just are not up to par with the other resorts in the area.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review, I hope it helps you make a decision on where to stay in Wisconsin Dells (a GREAT place to take a vacation).

Room Tip: Higher floors will lessen the chance of hearing people stomping and walking around above you. Check...
6  Thank InfiniteTeach
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Wisconsin Dells and providing us with your detailed feedback! I am glad that, overall, your family enjoyed their stay with us along with the variety of amenities we offer.

I am disappointed to learn of the difficulties you had during your stay and I have shared your review with our Management team at the resort. What you observed is not customary for us and does not meet with the standards for providing the exceptional guest service that Great Wolf is known for.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Mostly going on what my family told me as I was laid up in our room most of the visit. That being said, my husband and two teenagers spent a great deal of time at the water park. Only complaint is all of the walking up the stairs for the rides and our room was in the condo section, so farthest from the pool. I did enjoy the adults only hot tub though. I have never gone to the spa before, but since I hurt my back a couple of days before the trip I was really looking forward to getting a massage. No luck. I guess the spa is very popular, because they were overbooked and the first apt. available was in the middle of the day (the day we checked out). The lady at the counter said that if we come again, there would be no problem getting in with a weeks notice. I'm sure most of the hotels do this, but we did enjoy the ability to get get tickets for local attractions on site and at a discount. While the hotel says they encourage recycling, we had our towels hung up rather than on the floor to be reused, but we got clean towels anyway. That can be a plus or a minus depending on your view of things. Hair dryer in room didn't work, but it was fixed or replaced right away. Minor temperature problem with the rooms. (I chatted with others in the hot tub with similar issues.) Overall room temp was fine for us, but the temp needed to be dictated by the person sleeping closest to the a/c unit. Set at 68 for the evening, the people on the beds were fine, but the one on the pull out next to the unit as freezing because the unit runs constantly. Also, the pull out maybe needs a heavier blanket, or one in the closet. It really was very light weight. Next night, we set the temp at 73 and he was fine, but the rest of us had to sleep with just a sheep or be too hot. Prices are what you would expect for a tourist area. Staff smiled and said hello anytime you walked past in a hall or had need to directly interact. No problems with staff at all. Some of the nicest I have come across.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Water Park offers many options to families with younger children (under 16) with a huge selection of slides and fun things to do. Outdoor pool is large and open. Water park is for guests only. Food options are excellent including pool side restaurants. Incredibly friendly staff. Check out MagiQuest. Discounts to many Dells attractions are included with stay. Very organized check-in & check-out procedure.

Room Tip: Larger families may prefer a Condo or Suite option.
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

My 12 year old and 9 year old had a blast. Mom was not impressed, for the $$ I spent for 3 nights.
Front desk staff awesome!!
Waitress at restaurant within awesome!!
Gentleman in the little sweet shop by front desk, not so awesome!!
Rooms OK. Clean. Stained carpet.
Spacious. Really liked we had our own balcony!!
Bed comfortable
Bathroom clean, but average. Not a fan of the sink outside the room.
Indoor pool areas on the smaller side. Wave pool area spacious. I really thought there would be more slides.
Outdoor area nice. Water was freezing. For July very unusual weather.
Outdoor slides no lines and kids enjoyed as did I. But again. I thought there would be more slides and fun.
Snack area in the indoor pool area, young man behind the counter RUDE!!!
I would recommend this hotel for smaller children.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank cplot
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Wisconsin Dells and sharing your experience with us! Overall, it sounds like your family had a fun time while staying with us.

If you would like a suite that has a sink inside the bathroom, I would recommend our Family Fireplace Suite. With an additional 100 square feet of space over our other standard suites, it is a tremendous value that I think would be a great fit for your family.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Jason