“Decent for families with younger kids”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Overall, this is a decent water park hotel. The room we had was 2 queen beds and seemed typical of 3-star hotels. Although the waterpark was very clean, the room seemed to need some attention. There was a musty odor in the air of our room for the entire 3-night stay. Even after leaving the balcony doors open, the smell remained. There was plastic overwrap from a bottle lid under the dresser when we arrived, and remained there the entire time we stayed. I'm thinking if you are going to furnish the room with furniture that does not sit on the carpet and is open underneath, then housekeeping should be instructed to vacuum under it, at the very least every time someone checks out. Also, the shower curtain rod was hung way too far into the tub, making the shower very narrow. I don't know anyone who enjoys a wet shower curtain sticking to their body while showering. Also, plan on standing in line for a while when checking in. Even though there were 3 computers at the front desk, only two were in use while one clerk was talking on the phone. Check in process seems to take too long for each guest.

On a better note, the water park was clean and always stocked with plenty of towels. There were plenty of slide/pool choices for younger kids as well as older kids and adults. Hallways and railings (dirty railings are my pet peeve!) were clean as well. Plenty of parking close to several doorways so that you are never parking far from your room. "Hibernation hours" between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. were much appreciated, as this hotels caters mostly to families with children.

One note: If you plan on doing a load of laundry during your stay, good luck. I would plan to bring enough clothes so that you don't have to wash anything. Although they advertise a public laundry room in the hotel, there is only ONE working washing machine, and there was always a line.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This past stay was very good, except for the lifeguards. While they seem to be very good at watching out for everyone's safety, most did not speak english. My previous stays have always allowed inner tubes in the wave pool, and before i brought one in, i asked one of the male guards if it was no longer allowed. He rudely raised his hand and waved his finger in a scolding manner and said only one word "NO". In a very ignorant way, and walked away from me. This to me is unacceptable. I stay here a few times a year every year. If non english speaking rude people are to become the new normal, i will not return. Imagine if i, or anyone else, was having a health emergency in the waterpark. How would those guards know how to help if you cannot communicate with them? Please Great Wolf Lodge, adresss this problem. Thank you!

Marc

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank WisDellsKing
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Marc, we greatly appreciate the feedback from your stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Wisconsin Dells. I apologize for the interaction you had with one of our lifeguards.

In the event of an emergency, our lifeguards are trained and certified to respond to a variety of situations. They follow pre-established safety protocols and we run practice drills regularly to keep response times as low as possible.

We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

For a Wisconsin Dells waterpark, this is a really great place. Great Wolf really concentrates on the kids--and they don't charge you for every little detail like some resorts. Lots of great free activities in the lobby to take in--wolf walk, storytime, meet the characters, etc. Even the free wolf ear headbands they give you when you check in! You don't have to spend a fortune to have a great time. The waterparks are plentiful! One large one outside and 2 different areas inside--all which were perfect for our younger kids (4 and 8). Free life jackets for kids was another bonus! Great wave pool too--not too overwhelming for little kids and perfect temperature.

Check-in was a little long--long line which took about 30 minutes. It seems like most Dells resorts have this issue. With Great Wolf thought they did a great job of entertaining the kids while the parents waiting in line--coloring, balloon characters, wolf ears, etc. Kids are excited to be there, so it is great that they give them things to do.

Our room was nice, seemed clean but the cleaning staff needs to do a better job of moving things and cleaning under beds, tables, etc. There was popcorn under our nightstand and we didn't have any popcorn. There was also a ton of hair under the vanity area. I dropped something on the floor and when I picked it up it was covered with hair that did not belong to us. Very nicely decorated--the whole hotel is. Great outdoors/northwoods theme.

Lifeguards do an amazing job and are very serious--no one is going to drown there, that is sure! Not a lot of them spoke English though so it was hard for them to answer our questions.

The hotel staff was very friendly. That is another rarity at the Dells. This hotel really made you feel welcome!

I will definitely go back. I think this is one of the best hotels in the Dells. They cater to your family and don't try to rip you off and overcharge for everything.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms where the balcony does not overlook the air conditioners or the waterpark. The a/c is...
5  Thank Pak6669
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We booked 6 condos for our annual family vacation because of the water park and activities for our young grandchildren. After checking in we had to request housekeeping because two of the units had filthy bathrooms - urine on the toilet and floors covered in hair and dust. Our unit smelled like strong cooking smells - maybe curry.
we asked that the condo be fabreezed. One smelled of smoke.
three had patios with ash containers that were over filled with cigarettes. Housekeeping did come quickly when we called them the first day but the daily cleaning was terrible. The carpet was never vacuumed. We found candy stuck to the couch. I wiped off the bathroom counter everyday because it wasn't done by the staff. The grout in the bathroom tile was brown - it was so dirty that the white grout was brown.
We had an infant and several small children and weren't comfortable with them playing on the floor.
We ate at the restaurant once. Of the 8 of us that had lunch, not one got their correct order plus service was slow and we always had to looki for the waitress.

We did enjoy the water park and the little girls had fun with their mothers at the kids spa. But because of the lack of cleanliness we will be looking for a different resort at the Dells next year.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank WisM2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Wisconsin Dells and sharing your feedback with us! I am terribly sorry for the state of some of your condo suites, but I am glad our Housekeeping team responded quickly to your concerns.

I will share your overall concerns with our Management team to follow-up on with the respective department heads.

We hope that you will stay with us again next year!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was our second trip to the Dells. Last year we stayed at a motel for a very modest sum. I was a little underwhelmed by the stay so I figured we'd spend more on our lodgings. You get what you pay right?

I couldn't have been happier with the decision to go here. We got a deal online for the Wolf Den room, so we saved some money right away. Our seven year old daughter and two year old son had a blast with their own little bunk bed area.

The Water park was very fun. We stayed four nights and never used another water park. Great Wolf is perfect for the younger kids.

I've seen complaints about the staff, but everyone we dealt with was awesome! One of the lifeguards welcomed us into the park and asked our daughter how the stay was going. He helped her muster up the courage to ride the Howlin' Tornado. When we were leaving a couple of hours later he was still at the door. I didn't think he'd remember us with all the swimmers coming and going, but sure enough he asked if we tried the ride and if we liked it. Very cool Mason!!! I'm sorry, we met other great lifeguards but didn't catch all their names.

I've seen complaints about not allowing the tubes in the wave pool... I don't have a problem with this, as the pool is too small to allow multiple tubes in the area.

The only issue that arose during our stay was housekeeping. Again, everyone was nice. It just seemed that every morning I was going to the front desk for a coffee packet, cup, or garbage bag. Stuff that gets restocked every day. This wasn't a big deal since our room was 30 seconds from the front desk.

Noise seems to be a big complaint here. I think we lucked out in our location, because expected running noises up and down the hallway never came.

We will be back. Great staff, restaurant, water park, location, and very kid friendly!

4  Thank couchsitta
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was underwhelmed by this hotel....not sure what I was expecting but when we arrived we were greeted by a line at the front desk for check in. It was around 5pm, so I'm sure it was a "busy" time, but there were only two girls visible to help with the check in process and one was on the phone standing at a back office area the whole time. The other poor girl was helping the other guests that were checking in or asking questions or making ticket/item/whatever purchases. And there were six (I counted while I was standing there waiting) computers visible behind the desk, supposedly for the purpose of checking guests in.....anyway, after we finally got checked in and drove around to the other side of the hotel to find our room, I was less than impressed with our room. We booked online and I was glad I didn't pay the full rate because the room was just a typical 2-bed hotel room, nothing impressive really. It was clean.
The water park was nice, I didn't have any complaints about it. I guess that's what you're really paying all the money for, not the hotel room but the use of the water park. I do think they should stay open until 10pm, rather than closing at 9pm, but I guess they are trying to cater to a younger crowd and trying to keep teens out, which I get. The late check out of 11am was a nice perk, as the kids could go to the water park in the morning again before we left.

4  Thank Courtney P

Courtney, we greatly appreciate the feedback from your stay and I will share your review with our Guest Services team to review. We are always looking for ways to improve what we already have in place, and guest feedback such as yours, allows us to know where we stand when looking for areas of opportunity.

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the operating hours of the waterpark, and I will share this with our Aquatics team to discuss internally. The current hours of operation are set to allow guests to enjoy the other activities we provide later in the evening, such as Story Time, MagiQuest and the arcade. We also want to make sure we give ourselves ample time for cleaning at the end of each operating day, as well as following all safety procedures for closing the park. By making sure we are consistent with our closing duties, we are able to open on time the following morning for guests to start playing as early as 9am during the summer!

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our 4th time to Great Wolf and our kids have always had a great time. They have ample numbers of life guards and it is very clear that safety is a top priority. Our only concern was that we felt the cleanliness of the rooms has slipped over time. I do feel that this water park is geared a little more towards younger kids (up to say 13-15 years old). Staff was friendly at all times we encountered them.

1  Thank Runs2much