“2nd time, even better than the 1st!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Indiana
“2nd time, even better than the 1st!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My daughter, who is 9, loves Great Wolf Lodge. As she says, it's her favorite hotel of all time. I won't go quite that far, but our stay, again, was top-notch.

We visited the 2nd weekend of June for 3 nights. I was expecting it to be pretty busy, but I would say it was only about half full. The last time we stayed, it was booked solid. Since it was a light crowd, there was pretty much no wait on anything. The waterpark and game room were had only a little traffic and it made it wonderful. The hotel theme is great and everything was clean. There is one outdoor swim area that isn't heated, but other than that, the water temps were perfect.

As far as the room goes, we were down on the end where Magiquest is on the 2nd floor. It was very quiet and the beds/pillows were very comfortable. We used the fridge, which did fine to keep our drinks cold. Really, the only issue with the room was the size of the TV. It was a flat screen, but pretty little. No big deal.

We did the Paw Pass again this year which got us a refillable cup, stuffed animal, reg wand for Magiquest, tokens, and a discount at Buffalo Phil's. We didn't do the craft. At $50, it is a bargin.

I keep thinking about trying Wilderness and I've stayed at Kalahari ($$$$), but I know I like GWL, so we keep ending up here. The dollars spent for what you get makes it a bargin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent two nights at Great Wolf at the end of June/early July with my husband, almost 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. This was our very first trip to the Wisconsin Dells and I booked the Great Wolf Lodge because I combed through multiple reviews online and everything told me that Great Wolf is great for little kids. We paid approximately $600 for two nights in a Wolf Den suite.

Pros: The kids loved the bunk beds in the "room within a room". I loved that they don't allow non-hotel guests to use their waterpark. It really helps to minimize the crowds. There were hardly any lines in the waterpark. Free and fast wireless internet. Great for checking email, Facebook and streaming movies and TV shows after the kids have gone to bed. My daughter loved the coconut scented kids shampoo and bubblegum body wash provided in the bathroom. I liked that I could easily walk to the Tanger outlet mall. We also walked to Buffalo Phil's restaurant across the parking lot. There's also McDonald's, Noodles & Co., etc. just down the street.

Cons: They should have more free activities in the Cub Club kids area. My daughter paid $3 to paint a little ceramic figurine. Most things cost more, like making a glitter body wash, or painting larger figurines. There were some oversized coloring sheets and a few books and toys. The outdoor waterpark water was freezing cold! I could hardly stand it. There should be some seating outside the coffeeshop/candy store. We bought some pastries and drinks for breakfast and had to balance it on our laps while eating it in the lobby.

Conclusion: This is definitely the place to be if you're traveling with young children. The majority of the waterpark activities are suitable for preschoolers and up. We'll definitely be back to the Dells, but we'll likely stay at Kalahari next time, just to try it out.

1 Thank Karen H
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked the Great Wolf Lodge (hotel room, not condo) for two nights during the week (a little cheaper and quieter). Everything about the experience for me was "fine" as in not great and not terrible. For me, a trip to the Dells is semi-painful because it's really a gigantic blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape. Gaudy touristy rubbish, exemplified by some of the sights you see from the main drag (i.e. the absurd giant Trojan horse, the hideous Mt. Olympus and the lopsided eyesore that is the Secret Agent building). It's all a bit weird. But i digress - the idea is to visit a place where the young ones can have fun and for that, the Dells is pretty reliable. I'm guessing that most places in the Dells offering lodging are either fair or above average, with the odd gold standard here and there. I can't imagine a total dive surviving there for long and the Great Wolf is certainly in no danger of disappearing, but i can't see it winning any awards either. My 8 year old had fun doing everything from the indoor park to the outdoor areas (which I also found agreeable, if unspectacular). Inside, the place is a bit drab (although my brother tells me the condo's are well worth the extra dollars). Our room was decent, a bit dated, not entirely pristine, but acceptable and we had a fridge and microwave along with a coffee maker we did not use. I think the best measure of success is the answer to the following questions: Did the kids have fun? Did mom and dad feel they got value for money? Yes to both, but if we go back, we'll almost certainly look elsewhere.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family stayed here for my younger brother's baseball tournament. Although it is a decent resort, we found it to be too childish. The water parks closed fairly early, the only thing open late that was convienent was the arcade and that was packed with everyone who couldnt swim. For the price, we expected better amenities. The security was overly rude and wouldn't let anyone talk even in the hallways past 10pm. Unless you have a young family, I would highly recommend to stay elsewhere in the Dells.

• Stayed June 2013
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I took my family for a four day vacation and we barely left the lodge. Many activities for my kids age 2, 4 and 8. There are character visits, cub club, Magiquest and of course the water park. Plus many other activities to fill time as a family.

There is a wide variety of rooms and food options. We spent at least five hours a day in the water park. There are options for everyone to find something fun to do.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rusty M
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay. My parents used their time share points and we stayed in a two queen suite and a kid cabin suite. One room was ready at 12:30 on Wed when we got there and the other was ready about 2PM. It was perfect. We dropped off our stuff, freshened up, and went out and played for a few hours. My 5 yr. old daughter LOVED her own kids area with bunk beds, day bed and her own tv. Our bathroom was spacious and toiletries were unique...two for kids! Spacious bed/living room area for my husband and brother and I. Beds were ok, I like a soft bed so no hotel beds ever really do the trick. My brother said the pull out couch was not good, but again, the room was "free" for us and he never expected much from it. Hallways and general areas were always clean, despite the number of kids that ran through it all day. Had no noise issues whatsoever, which floored me! Our room seemed very insulated from upstairs, hallway and outside noise. The water park was a lot of fun for all. We didn't have enough time to do it all!! The arcade as spendy but our daughter loved it. Some of my family ate at Camp Critter one morning and said the food was good, but catered to kids...small pancakes, French toast sticks, doughnut holes and they did have an omelet station. We already talked about going back next year! This place is a must-stay for families for kids birth to 12.

1 Thank kjb1976
Hannibal, Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This lodge is massive when we first pulled up. It was easy to find off the highway, barring we had to go through some road construction. Check in was easy and simple. My husband did the online check in which was a time saver. We did end up extending our stay, and we found that booking through the front desk was $30 cheaper than when my husband booked online.

Our room was a standard room on the fourth floor which we just fine for the four of us. I was very impressed with the speed of the elevators. I don't' think we ever had to wait for one and the lodge was busy! Our room had a microwave and a small refrigerator. We had decided to pre-make food for breakfasts and lunch to save some money as we heard food was expensive at the lodge. We also took water, kids drinks and adult drinks to save money there also. This worked out perfectly. The check in is at 4 pm. My husband did notice when he checked us in online that although check in is at 4 pm, the day you check in you can access the waterpark starting at 1 pm.

The housekeeping staff were exceptional! our room was neat and clean. We usually left our room between 9-10 am for our morning excursions, and when we returned about an hour later to get ready for the waterpark, housekeeping had already cleaned our room. I thought he body wash, shampoo and other toiletries were very nice, some for the adults and some for the kids. These were restocked daily. My husband is always very critical of hotel beds, but he found the beds to be wonderfully comfortable. While the bed already had four very fluffy pillows, there were 2-3 extra if you wanted them.

The waterpark was very big and kind of overwhelming at first. It is open from 9am-9pm (the indoor part). I had packed beach towels and lifejackets for the kids, but no need to, the lodge supplies lifejackets and towels. When we walked into the indoor waterpark, we were greeted by a staff member. She was very knowledgeable about the waterpark and told us is was divided into three areas. She also measured the kids and gave them wrist bands so they would know what they could and could not ride. This was very helpful. I do wish the signs and the entrance of the rides were color coded as to which color wristbands could use the ride though. There were many pools for kids and adults, or just adults. There were also many slides that were for kids and adults or some just for the little ones. The wave pool was very nice. I don't think there were any areas in any of the pools over 5ft deep. This was nice as we had a 7 and 3 year old. You might pack water shoes for the kids though, the pool floors are a little rough and my 7 year old got quite a scratch on his foot from the wave pool.

There was also a very nice outdoor pool area with outdoor slides. The pool was divided into a main pool, but also had a kid pool. I really liked the weather this time of year, as we went to the outdoor pool during the day and came inside in the evening when it started to cool off. I liked the outdoor pool as it had music playing through the day, and there was a bar and smoothie shop if you wanted a beverage. They did sell beer by the bucket 6/$25 or you could buy a single for $5.25. I was really impressed with the lifeguard staff at this resort. They were everywhere and very attentive to the guests. They weren't standing around talking to one another, but always on the move checking every inch of the pool and not leaving any spot unguarded.

The lodge was in a very good location and there were a lot of attractions within walking distance. I highly recommend this place.

1 Thank 731StephC