“Nice place for families”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Nice resort for families, lots of different small spaces to go and hang out, a few small sections and then larger sections. Rides were of a wide variety of riskiness... ranging from stuff for toddlers, kids, teens and adults. Nice small atmosphere in the hotel although it is large, lots of spaces for us to be out of the heat, to explore around hotel, super fun bedtime activities for the kids with their mascots, visually appealing with lots of wilderness charm, we had a room with the bunk beds and the kids liked having their own space, I would go back.

Room Tip: if you have a few kids the rooms with the bunk beds are a good choice to give everyone their space.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was looking for a place for the grandkids, kids and us adults to have fun and Great Wolf fit the bill. I booked just one night which other places did not allow over the holiday weekend so that was a plus. They allow early use of water park (at 1pm) on the day of check-in (nominally 4pm) and use of the park all day on the day of check-out. I asked for late check-out and was offered an extra half hour of pay $35 to stay till 2pm. Since I paid $500 plus for one night I was hoping for better but I know it's a business.

The water park has a variety of activities for toddlers through middle school age but less toward teens and adults. One or two slides were shut down but the lines were not long at all for a holiday weekend. I did notice the inside of some of the water slides had an accumalation of scum on the sides above the waterline. You would think they would be clean considering it's the beginning of the summer season.

We stayed in the condo suites (attached to the hotel) and the mayhem of kids running up and down the hallways wasn't bad at all (I've definely satyed in crazyer places). I feel sorry if you stay in the cooridors connecting to the front of the hotel. That said my daughter and son-in-law said were woken up at 3am from the neighbors but that quieted down before security could act on it. Our room faced south which put us against I-94 and a fair amount of highway noise if you leave the sliding door open.

The unit itself was nice with a easy to use gas fireplace. On the downside our dishwasher was broken and I was glad we only stayed one night (that breakage earned me a comp on my late check-out fee). The bathrooms don't have much in the way of towel racks which is strange as the units are supposed too be for 4 to 6 people. Also the TV was a flat panel wide screen over the fireplace which is almost a waste as theer are no HD channels available.

We ordered pizza's to eat in the suite and avoid going the trip to a restaurant. They were just ok quality and could have been frozen (I'll bring my own next time).

Overall we had fun and the kids did the storytime at 8pm and the activity in the morning in the lobby. Having fun is what it's all about and that was accomplished.

Room Tip: Get off the main cooridors leading to front desk on a lower floor. Also the south face of the hotel...
1  Thank ibresqone
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed last summer and the hotel is nice but when we complained to the food manager regarding flies on the food in the snack/sweet store, she could have cared less. For $300 plus per night I expect more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Nicholas B
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our family of four (kids 8 & 5 at the time) stayed in a Wolf Den Suite for several nights in July 2012. We try to make it to the Dells every year or two to escape the Twin Cities in the summer. We picked this lodge because of the extensive theming, bunk beds (I don't have to share my bed with them!), and kid-friendly activities. We purchased a package for the kids that included MagiQuest and other activities and I am so glad we did! Our kids adored MagiQuest so much we look for places across the country we can continue our journey! The water park itself was spread about three different rooms. This was a bit disappointing with young kids because we had to move as a pack. Conversely when we stayed at the Kalahari the indoor water park was in one large room - much more convenient. I liked that the indoor water parks were exclusive to guests - the crowds were really manageable! The resort is likely best for the 10 and under set and we'll be looking for bigger thrills as the kids get older. Great time though - had a blast!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Monkida
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Most of the trip was great. All of the kids (ages 4-13) enjoyed the indoor waterparks, which were maintained well and at a comfortable temperature. The "Tornado", in particular, was a big hit.

We woke up rather early in our Kid-Cabin themed suite, though, to my 4-year-old screaming in pain. He had dropped something between a gap between the lower bunk bed and the wall, reached down to get it, and found his arm stuck firmly up to his elbow. We tried everything, even with two adults pulling the heavy frame (anchored firmly to the wall), it wouldn't move out even part of an inch to allow us to wrench his arm free; he was trapped and panicking.

The rest of the kids were awakened by the sounds of power tools and several maintenance people, who did arrive quickly, and who had to unscrew the bed from the wall to remove him.

As we were planning on sleeping in, and not planning on consoling a screaming child for most of the morning, this put sort of a damper on the stay.

I wanted to see if this had been a problem for anyone else, or if my son was just unfortunate enough to be the first one. He wasn't. Several complaints of the poor design of this bunk bed in this suite are easily searchable, including one from a similar incident in November of 2010. The manager at that Great Wolf Lodge assured the writer that they'd be looking into the design, since safety was such a priority for them. It seems not to have changed, or that they inexplicably changed it in such a way as to still trap children between the bunk bed and the wall. I have no idea why they would not just add a board to it to prevent children from wedging their bodies/parts in there in the first place.

When I called the front desk and asked why the design that had hurt someone was still being used (in one other incident, the parent was worried about choking, as her child's torso had been trapped), my concerns were just brushed off. Although the manager's manner was polite, we were offered a pizza and a stuffed animal, but told that she "couldn't" do anything else since we were "groupon customers". I didn't want a pizza; I wanted her assurance that something would be done to prevent this in the future.

My son did take the stuffed animal. It's their "boo-boo wolf" model, with (I kid you not) a wolf with a band-aid and his arm in a sling. My other kids pointed out that the wolf's right arm was the one hurt - just like my son's, which is scratched and deeply bruised.

Oh, and the pizza was dry. That, and he has an allergy to the crust, so he couldn't eat it anyway.

My son spent some time reliving his trauma with the wolf as his patient (though on the other side of the room, since he doesn't want to go anywhere near bunk beds any more), having the other kids act as nurses while he operated on poor, hurt "boo-boo".

We had intended to spend some more time there on that last day, but were told that we wouldn't even be given a check-out after noon unless we wanted to pay an additional charge.

I understand that mistakes happen, but this one seemed avoidable. They also could helped us to try to salvage the weekend by assuring us that someone would at least look into the matter further, or something that suggested that they valued us as customers.

Room Tip: I would not suggest the "Kid Cabin" themed suite unless you travel with a crowbar and/or t...
4  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are two grandparents who took our grandchild here overnight. We made the reservations on the internet as well as the preliminary check-in. Do note that when you stay there overnight you can use the waterpark all day on your day of check-out. Also, the day of your check-in you can use the waterpark prior to your room being ready for you. This was an excellent place for us to take our grandson. Ample number of lifeguards on duty who appeared extremely attentive at all times. A good selection of life vests available in the park area for no charge. Clean pool towels available in pool area at no charge however you are welcome to bring your own favorite pool towels. We did not wear flip-flops, but highly recommend them (available for purchase in the park). Food available and cooked to order in park area, as well as the hotel itself. Breakfast buffet was average ($11.99 per adult). Room-delivered pizza was good. Lockers available in park area for a fee of $15.00 ($10.00 of that is refunded upon return of key on same day). Plenty of places for kids to hide from your sight, so be cautious. Everyone is issued a plastic wrist strap, and the activities may not be available to all guests - depending on their height. An arcade is located on the bottom floor across from the pool area. The story time is fantastic - the kids seem to really enjoy it. Guest room was sufficient and spacious. We booked the room with two queen beds and a sofa - also had a small table with two chairs. Bathroom is sufficient although a bit snug. Great selection of TV channels. Refrigerator and microwave in room - we took our own snacks and beverages in a cooler. The resort/hotel itself is very handily located - if you have time and have little ones suggest you take them to Buffalo Phil's across the way (walking distance) where the food is delivered on a toy train - cute!.

Room Tip: Get away from the elevators.
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband, 10 year old son, and I decided to stay a night in Wisconsin Dells on our way to a wedding in Chicago. We chose Great Wolf Lodge because it seemed compact, all of the entertainment in 1 spot. Since we were only going to be there one night, I wanted to make sure we didn't spend a lot of time and energy walking from one end of a huge resort to another. I read a lot of the reviews on here and wasn't quite sure what to expect. What we got was a clean spacious room, with a comfortable bed. I do agree that the slides etc are geared towards younger kids, but my 10 year old was sufficiently entertained while we were there. He thought the Howlin Tornado was amazing. I think if we had been there longer he might have been bored. The food was good, I thought the prices comparable to any restaurant meal, maybe $10 per adult entree. The kid's menu wasn't anything special, the same old pizza, chicken strips, mac and cheese options. All in all, we had a great time and would recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family