“Save your money.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We haven't been to Great Wolf Lodge for a few years. We went back because we got a really good deal. This trip was truly a disappointment. Got into our room, only to find that it smelled mildew and had sweet tart candy wrappers on the floor. I went to the front desk and the girl asked if I wanted the room to be cleaned again or if I wanted another room. We went with the new room, which was clean. We had the all-inclusive plan (part of what lured us back), so when we went to the restaurant, I asked the server about the plan. Neither the server nor the hostess could explain it to me, so we weren't really sure of what was "included." The water park is fine for families with small kids, but older kids might get bored. The bathrooms in the waterpark with the wave pool smelled like urine, so ended up walking over to the other bathrooms. Now...for the room. The pillows are lumpy and the bed had an indentation, so the two nights of sleep I had were fitful. I think Great Wolf Lodge does need to do some refurnishing, as these are the quality of mattresses of a crummy motel, not a nice waterpark hotel. I was truly disappointed with this. Back to the restaurants, the food was fine, but ended up really sick to my stomach (perhaps the chicken). My son was fine, he stayed with the steak and burgers. I really recommend not coming here if you have to pay full price. There are other, more up-to-date waterparks with much more to do close by.

Room Tip: If you go, try to stay on the 4th floor to avoid hearing the kids jumping around.
3  Thank dainaf
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband, myself and 2 kids (ages 7 and 11) stayed for 2 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge. We have stayed there before and I had received an e-mail with a discounted rate for return guests. It was about $200 per night (Friday and Saturday night, including taxes, it would be cheaper during the week) for a family suite with 2 queen beds and a partial wall separating a sofa area. The room had a small refrigerator and a microwave and waterpark passes were included.

The room was clean and nice, we were on the top floor and our room had a tall cathedral ceiling. The tv swiveled so it could be seen from the bed area or the sofa area. My only critique on the room was that there was not much dresser space, just 4 drawers that weren't that big. The room could easily accommodate more storage. Also there were only 3 hangers in the closet area. Also one lamp did not work but we did call that in as a problem.

All four of us loved the waterpark. There was plenty to do for the day and half that we spent there. We did not do MagicQuest or any other activities. We ate at the Loose Moose (reviewed separately) it was very good. We were impressed at the hot food from the snack bar at the waterpark because it was fresh cooked to order, not sitting around. Also I had a grilled chicken salad and the lettuce was very fresh and good. Check in was quick as I had done the online check in.

Overall a very nice stay and we would go back again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn_from_WI
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A weekend with my women friends every year is a welcome retreat from the everyday. Our cozy condo has ample space for the 4 of us in 2 bedrooms. A beautiful efficient kitchen, bfkst bar, dining table, seating by the cozy gas fireplace. An outlet mall and movie theatre nearby and the cable TV in the room, plus the pools, round it off! We rarely go outside the room! But when we do there are smiling kids and parents going to or coming from the pools with their towels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a water park destination lodge. The lodge itself is showing its age a little but it was very clean. The staff is super friendly especially the staff that interacts with the kids. This is definitely geared towards pre-teen kids which is great. There are tons of stuff to do on the property with Magi-Quest, the arcade and the kids Cub Club. The clock tower show and story time was very popular with our 6 & 8 year old. The check in procedure is very regimented and be sure to follow their instructions or you will wait and get some withering stares from the others in the line.

My only complaint with this place is the food services available. The lunch bar/grill was over priced and the food quality was below average. The camp critter breakfast buffet was a waste of time and money. Everything on the buffet was cold except for the made to order eggs. I've never heard of a buffet that wouldn't give refills to kids for milk. The only things the adults can drink free of charge is soda, coffee, or tea. This is ridiculous! Charging for orange juice on a buffet and charging for refills? What is the big deal. They don't make enough with the inflated prices on everything else in the hotel or the buffet.

I would definitely return as the kids loved the water park. Only next time we will only do the water park and definitely not eat in the hotel.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Great Wolf. So much to do and the staff are excellent with kids.. We had the Critters breakfast buffet, we went early which was a good thing because it is a very busy place. The food is just average and they only have one chief for all of their guest (150 people) so we had to wait quite a while for a omelet or eggs you had ordered. Other than that it was a great place to stay, we had alot of fun..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We check out tomorrow and had a pretty good stay. I thought the water park would have more exciting rides but they were OK for my children ages 7 and 8. They definitely liked the tornado the best. We spent only 2-3 hours per day in the waterpark and I thought we'd be there much of the day. Kids absolutely loved Magiquest and we spent lots of time doing that. Bring your walking shoes if you plan to participate with your kids! Paw pass was great. Kids loved the "build a bear" experience. Food at Loose Moose just OK. Bartender tonight very good but name tags were small so could not read his name. Stayed in room 446 (1br) on top floor and enjoyed the fact we had no neighbors -- adjacent to elevator and stairs. Quiet in terms of no neighbor noise but air ducts and frig were loud. Pros probably outweigh the cons. There is a lot to do overall. My 6 year old loved storytime. They also had a disco party last night -- just wish it wouldn't have started at my kids' bedtime. Note to management - was walking in front of Loose Moose pizza takeout and I overheard one of the ladies say to the other that the kids were really irritating. Probably not the best line of work for her? Might come back if the deal is good but will try Kalahari next time.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Love2Travel3434
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in the loft condo with another family! Next time we will great the bigger condo with bedrooms cause everything echos for the lucky person that sleeps in the loft. It is a long walk from the condos over to the waterpark but it is a larger resort. Room was clean and check-in was a breeze. The kids enjoyed storytime and the dance party and of course many hours were spent at the waterpark. Bring your own towels though cause they make you hand them in before you leave the waterpark. John the bartender was the best bartender ever and made our last night memorable. The waitress Sherry was the worst waitress ever and I can not believe she even has a job in customer service as we were not the only ones who received horrible service. We did speak to a manager after multiple requests to see one and he did make it right and was apologetic. I do hope to get to visit again but if Sherry is working we will not be eating there. Bonus: The outlet mall is right next door!

2  Thank Frogger22