“Another good family trip”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Another good family trip”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We are just finishing up three days here usng Diamond Resort points. This is our third Great Wolf lodge having been to Sandusky Ohio and the one outside of Seattle. For three of us we have the family suite with sofa bed which is fine for 3 people....everyone gets a bed. We look out onto the highway and with the door open, yes I can hear traffic, but with the door shut it is fine. Waterpark is good with lots of slides and the Tornado my grandson's favorite. Room is clean enough although that obviously don't vacuum once you get in the room but I don't have any complaints. The housekeeping staff does a stellar job considering what I'm sure they contend with. The outside hall can get noisy with kids running but nothing you wouldn't expect given that is really a kids place. TV gets lots of channels. Had lunch in the waterpark yesterday..pizza wasn't bad. Free wifi everywhere with string signal. I'm assuming everyone gets it free although it could be because we are gold diamond members. Had Starbucks coffee in coffee shop today and it was just like my local Starbucks in terms of taste and cost. I did go across the street to the Starbucks the first morning but realized I didn't need to. Have been to Knuckleheads for bowling, which is across the parking lot and going back today for the other rides. It's a fun place and nice to do something different. We ate the first night at Sorentos...just down the road. Excellent, good wine list, great food, super service. Price was good given the size of the servings. Three of us easily shared two entrees. Liked it so much were going back tonight. Went to Moosejaw Brewing co. Last night. Again food was good and reasonable. Im used to Chicago prices so others might consider the restaurants pricey..i do not. my grandson and disabled young adult daughter are having fun and that is what counts. I would return. I have also been to the Wilderness lodge a few years ago and while that has an indoor amusement park which is included, I like Great Wolf better. Also staff is very nice and professional, checkin was painless And room was ready before 3. Only complaint is cleanliness of waterpark..need to empty garbage cans more often and clean up floors. Did see a complaint about lack of chairs. They do fill up but you should expect that. I always get there when doors open to get a table and chairs but I do that everywhere I go. Pool chairs always go quickly wherever you go. Some people hold way too many but that's just the way it is.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexmom1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
minneapolis
Reviewed March 28, 2013

As I write this review, the sound of freeway traffic is roaring through my 4th floor balcony window. During check-in, the staff at the front desk cheerfully informed me that check-in BEGINS at 4:00 p.m. -- it doesn't actually mean you get a room at 4:00 p.m. Yes, it is true, after I went back to their website, it says, "Check-in begins at 4:00 p.m. or as rooms become available". Now, as someone who has travelled extensively and stayed at what must now be close to thousands of hotels, 99.9% of hotels have a check-in time around 2, 3 or 4 -- but I have NEVER seen a check-in that begins "...as rooms become available".

When I asked the staff if that might mean my room would not be available until 6:00 p.m. -- her response was a wry "I would hope not, but I wouldn't want to make a promise I couldn't guarantee"

The waterpark itself was built for half the number of people who are here. There are not enough chairs. Not enough tables. The Lazy River is more like a creek.

I know what I am getting when I come to places like Wisconsin Dells. This isn't Disney. It's not a 4 star hotel kind of place.

What I do expect is value for the money I spend -- and staying at this place is not cheap.

The rooms -- even the family "Suite" is small -- the t.v. is small -- and the "semi-private" section can't even conjure up a full half-wall to give some semblance of "semi-privacy".

Gross. Hideous sound-proofing. A waterpark that is well past its prime. Small. Rude. And, clearly not a hotel that feels compelled to be forthcoming to its customers, nor one that cares about whether the customer comes back again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the freeway side of the hotel. Get a room on the top floor. Stay somewhere...
4 Thank northernlightslodge
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a wonderful place for a family vacation. The service personnel is courteous and friendly. The facility is clean, and well maintained. The pool areas were clean and the air temperature is as advertised. They have activities for the kids and I would compare this to Disney level quality. The food quality was good, and the prices seem fair for the quantity and quality.

Room Tip: There is some road noise on the highway side of the hotel. That seems to be the only negative.
san francisco, CA
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We grandparents brought the kids and the two grandkids here from Chicago. It's a wonderful place for children in that the activities are limitless. Adult activities involve watching and doing as much as you can with the kids. The waterslides are fun but the crowds make it very difficult to find a place to sit Space watching the kids enjoy themselves. The rooms were nice albeit a bit pricey the service was fine the service people are incredibly friendly.

One significant bummer was the breakfast buffet which featured on the second rate food. Much to my chagrin, I found that they charged 295 extra for breakfast orange juice. I have been to literally hundreds of buffets in my extensive travel career and never found one breakfast buffet the charged for juice let alone the watered-down orange juice offered at this place.

In fact I would strongly advised skipping eating Here but it still was an overall positive experience for us.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank chinadochill
Kimberly, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My family of four stayed in the Dells for a cheer competition but didn't want to stay at the resort it was being held at. So, since we had good luck with this resort chain in Ohio, we decided to give this one a try. Staff was friendly and greeted us right away. The lobby was clean and so were the hallways every time we had to walk from our room to the water park. One complaint that we had (but was remedied) was that our room was right next to the busy highway. I didn't get good sleep the first night. However, my husband asked to move rooms and they quickly were able to put us into another room facing the parking lot further away from the highway. The breakfast buffet was okay - good deal for kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the highway as possible.
1 Thank sasajs22
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed with 2 other families in the largest suite that is supposed to sleep 20. We had 6 adults and 8 kids(ages 9 and under). It looks a lot larger online, but it was ok for our group. If we were all in the living/kithen area it would be incredibly tight. The upstairs loft bathroom is one of the smallest ever. There is not a wall separating the living area where the 2 queen beds are either. The beds are very uncomfortable, but we have come to understand that is what you get in a waterpark. We haven't found one that is good in the Dells or Lake Geneva area.
The kids really enjoyed the waterpark area and there was enough for everyone to do. We stayed 2 nights around Spring break. It was very busy, but it did not feel like wall to wall people. We stayed at the Wilderness during the summer and missed the better arcade and ropes course area. We had dinner at Sorento's which was great. We did not eat inside the resort other than the food by the pool.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4h floor condo wing.
Mount Carroll
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been to the Great Wolf Lodge in the Wisconsin Dells several times now. Our family enjoys the kid-friendly environment. The waterparks are fun and close together. The lifeguards are very professional and attentive. The resort staff is always helpful (took them less than 5 minutes to bring us a new remote for the kids' TV!). They have updated the beds & mattresses to the kid cabin suite since our last visit (my only complaint is that the mattresses were too firm for my liking). We love that MagiQuest is attached to the resort and spend much of our non-poolside time there. We have eaten in the restaurant in the lobby at each visit and enjoyed our meals. We love the snack bar/coffee shop in the lobby and visit for ice cream every night. The girls try to get to the Story Time and Clock Tower show for kids at least once each visit - they have outgrown wanting their photo taken with the characters, but still like watching the show! On our most recent trip in March 2013, there were Cub Club members making balloon animals and painting faces for the kids in the lobby each night. On other trips they have had Trick or Treating, a dance party, a coloring station...just quick, fun activities to help the kids have fun! Main Point:We enjoy staying at the Great Wolf - It's a fun-packed trip for the kids and creates some good, fun family memories for those of us who don't have much family time due to work schedules, school schedules, & etc. We'll be going back again!

1 Thank 5AmandaS5