“I use to love this place but...”

Paul Bunyan's Northwoods Cook Shanty
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet
Description: For over 56 years and four generations later, Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty welcomes your family to our family! Your Wisconsin Dells vacation would not be complete without a Paul Bunyan's Lumberjack meal. We take extreme pride in serving the freshest family style breakfast, lunch and dinner. With our ever-so-famous homemade buttermilk donuts made fresh every day, keeps our visitors coming from miles away just to pick up a dozen!
Downers Grove, Illinois
“I use to love this place but...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First I've been going to Paul Bunyan for years since the age of about 6 and I use to love this place. Even enjoyed it on our last visit about 12 years ago. Now perhaps my dining experience and taste in food has changed but the entire experience was not enjoyable. First of all we went early last Saturday to avoid the long lines but the restaurant was still quite crowded and very loud; I couldn't hear my husband across the table. And then there comes the second issue, if you only have two or four in your party you still feel like you are sitting at a table with complete strangers since the tables are only an inch or two apart. A very large group were seated at table next to us and both tables behind us so they were shouting back/forth and totally disrupted our meal. We felt like the outsiders at their table. The food itself is very average; donuts are tasty but I've had better eggs and pancakes elsewhere, meats average and potatoes good but would have been better crispy. For the price, noise level and food PB just isn't worth it for us anymore.
If you have kids they will enjoy eating off the tin plates. I don't want to discourage families for trying it as they provide plenty of food (all you can eat) but for us this place is more a novelty. In the future it will be a memory.

• Visited July 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Delish”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good food, good fun. All you care to eat. Only "warning" is it is quite loud with all the people in there. Have been there before and will go there again.

Visited July 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
“Good Breakfast”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I went and got two carry out breakfasts on a Thursday, and Friday morning. The food we received was more then enough to eat for breakfast. Eggs, hash browns, sausage, pancakes, french toast, and kielbasa. Oh and I forgot the six fresh buttermilk donuts. Everything was hot and fresh, and with the donuts, and pancakes, we had enough food for the other two mornings of our stay. If you want to get in and out in 5 minutes, and have great food to take back to your room, this is the place.

Visited June 2013
Cerro Gordo, Illinois, United States
“Yummy!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Good food brought family style to your table. We had a great waiter and the food was hot and fast! We had to wait in line but it went fast as they have tons of seating.

Visited July 2013
Apple Valley
“Plan on eating someone's elses food.”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had to walk through their gift shop to get to the restaurant, and had to walk through a different part of the gift shop to get out. The eggs were powdered eggs. There was one piece of sausage in the sausage and gravy biscuits. I watched as they cleared another table. They scrapped all the plates clean onto a single plate, but saved the uneated donuts onto the platter with the maple syrup, to be served again. We asked/for more sausage and they returned the same plate the sausage was on. I wonder what they do with the uneaten pancakes? I didn't stick around to find out.

• Visited July 2013