“A little pricy but good food in traditional Dells atmosphere”

Paul Bunyan's Northwoods Cook Shanty
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Description: For over 56 years and four generations later, Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty welcomes your family to our family! Your Wisconsin Dells vacation would not be complete without a Paul Bunyan's Lumberjack meal. We take extreme pride in serving the freshest family style breakfast, lunch and dinner. With our ever-so-famous homemade buttermilk donuts made fresh every day, keeps our visitors coming from miles away just to pick up a dozen!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A little pricy but good food in traditional Dells atmosphere”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a kid I have pictures of eating here with my parents and not much has changed over the few decades. I do not mean that as a bad thing as I like how I can take my kids to the newest latest and greatest water parks with all the technology and stuff while taking them to a place the reminds me what the dells are really about and have some good comfort food. Yes, I will admit for the food quality and selection it is a bit pricy but really what isn’t pricy in the Dells???? I recommend this for at least one meal out while you’re in the dells since it is clean, fast, family friendly and will really remind you of Dells form yesteryear

Visited August 2012
2 Thank RJ_MN_01

Racine, Wisconsin
“COLD FOOD”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were very disappointed on this visit to PB's. We came in early Oct. 2012...have been here previously. This time our food was served mostly lukewarm...NOT hot and, therefore, disappointing. Servers were pleasant but the temperature of the food did not leave us wanting more. After this experience, I would find another restaurant for breakfast where hot food is served.

Kissimmee, Florida
“Great theme with OK food”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have mixed feelings on this place. The food is served family style and is actually pretty good, but in a chain restaurant sort of way. The decor is definitely cute. It is like you are in the cook shack of a North woods lumber camp. You are seated at tables with red and white checked table cloths. The gift shop is packed with plenty of over priced touristy items. Even in the off season there is always a line out the door. Do not eat here in the time when they are switching between breakfast and lunch. All the food will be dried out or cold.

• Visited July 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“great food with family”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

went here on the last day they were open in 2012 great food there was not many people here so it made for a good time with my family

the food was all you could eat and was great chicken and food

beacuse it was the last dinner and lunch of the year they were out of a few things and did not have any jelly , and it was a bit spendy for us but was worth it for good food and time with my family if it was not for them being there we would have spent our $34 at famous daves but it was still good to see the place it was clean and nice

Northern Chicago suburbs, IL
“The donut withdrawal begins. . .”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had breakfast this weekend, which was also closing weekend for the year. They'll be open again next spring. We have been coming to Bunyan's for over 40 years, since we were both kids. The breakfasts are family style, and while they have sausage, ham, pancakes, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy, the donuts are worth the price of admission! They are freshly made constantly during the morning hours. And, if you haven't had your fill of donuts prior to leaving the restaurant, be sure to stop in the gift shop for some to go.

The staff is always friendly and service is excellent. It's rare when you find a restaurant where older people and young families with little kids peacefully co-exist, but they do here. I'd love to say that we've been here for lunch and dinner as well, but sadly, it's been years since we've done that because breakfast is our destination meal and one that has never disappointed.

Here's looking forward to their re-opening for the 2013 season. We were there for opening weekend this year and plan to be there again for the 2013 opening.