“One of the Best at the Dells”

Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 191 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Four couples got together Saturday night for a post valentines dinner. All of us are somewhat local as we all live 30 to 40 miles from the Dells, so we eat in the Dells often. Reservations were made over the internet and had to be change twice with no problems. It was the first time for three couples and one couple had eaten there before. Valet parking was free and a nice touch as parking can be a problem at a resort as big as Kalahari. We were warmly met at the door by Adam and our coats were taken and coat checks given. The atmosphere as you walk in was very warm and inviting. The fire places add a nice touch people were sitting around them having a drink. Because of snowy roads we arrived right at our reservation time, Adam said they would hold our table if we wanted a drink in the lounge before being seated, we thanked him and said we would order at the table. Brandon our waiter was right there explaining the drink and wine menu. They had a merlot feature wine that night that he told us about. I am always leery of "feature wine" as many times it is a sales promotion with a prize for the wait staff who sells the most bottles. That did not appear to be the case as the price quoted was $15 less than the printed wine menu price. The drinks and wine was ordered and arrived in a reasonable time(approximately 8-10 minutes) considering the restaurant was quite busy, I expected a longer wait. Around this time, the manager Tim stopped by our table to welcome us and asked how everything was going. Brandon then brought out a table of plastic coated samples of the various entrees and explained where the meat came from and how it was dry aged. As no one wanted an appetizer, Brandon took our order. It should be noted that everything is a la carte. Sides were $8 each or 3 for $20. The sides were big and meant to be shared by the table. Soups and salads were delivered and again the salads were huge and fresh. Around this time, Tim stopped by our table a second time to chat and again welcome us. As soon as the salads were cleared the main courses and sides were delivered. The four filets were all done as ordered with proper crust/char on the outside and a warm pink center. The steaks were tender and flavorful. The sea bass was cooked correctly and was flaky tender. Both Time and Brandon stopped by the table numerous times to make sure everything was as ordered. Being somewhat local the eight of us either together or separately have eaten at all the Dells steak houses. This is as good as any of them and better than most. Not cheap, but not expensive either. The bill came out to $160 per couple including tip. But that included two bottles of wine, four cocktails, three glasses of a different wine and two glasses of Coke. I actually expected the bill to be higher. As we were leaving both Tim and Adam thanked us for coming and invited us to come back again. Atmosphere A+, Staff professionalism A+, Attention to detail A+, over all experience A+. I would rate Double Cut as one of our top three choices to eat in the Dells and will be back.

1  Thank george v
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

We are simply thrilled and so very grateful for your review. Not only the time you took to respond, but also the sheer in-depth recount of the evening. Tim, Adam and Brandon will all be delighted to read your feedback. Being ranked as one of the top 3 steakhouses in the Dells is such a privilege and again we can't thank you enough for sharing your thoughts. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for your time!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was our first time at Double Cut. We decided to go for Valentine's Day a night early. My husband called and made a reservation for 7:30. We got there on time and were very impressed by the atmosphere upon entering. The hostess was very warm and friendly and offered to check our coats. She then took us to a side dining room. It was cozy but probably not where I would have preferred. Our waitress was excellent, very knowledgable and recommended many items. Their wine list was extensive but I was not willing to purchase a full bottle. My husband had a specialty cocktail. It was OK but not great. He then ordered a double Crown and it was cheaper then a specialty cocktail. Our food was EXCELLENT. Prime rib, porterhouse, asparagus, baked potato, and the mushrooms (highly recommend). We ended up taking a large amount home as there was so much. We were very impressed but it was a little pricey. We will only go back for special occasions. It costs well over $100 for 2 people. I would have liked to know this information ahead of time but they don't give any information about prices online.

Thank you for trying us out and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your meal. We appreciate all of your feedback and I will be sure to share with our team. The mushrooms are a favorite. So glad to hear you enjoyed them as well. Thank you again for your time. We are thrilled to celebrate any special occasion with you and your husband. Take care!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I went for an early Valentine's celebration. The entire staff made you feel welcome and relaxed. The interior of the restaurant was elegant. The fire places were very beautiful and just added to the relaxing atmosphere.
Many reviewers complained about the prices. ... I think it was very reasonable for the excellent quality and quanity of food recieved. The steaks melted in your mouth. I have never had such a tasty and tender steak. The "sides to share" are quite large. The lobster mac is a must try. The lobster bisque was to die for. Calamri was very tender. The asparagus spears were huge and extremely tender.
You truly must experience this for yourself. You will so not be disappointed.

1  Thank Boomer2006
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

We're so thrilled that we had the privilege of having you and your husband as our guest for an early Valentine's Day Celebration. We're even more excited to hear that you loved your dining experience. I wanted to send you a huge, heartfelt thank you and let you know just how very much we appreciate the feedback. We can't wait till we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again. Take care!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

After arriving at the hotel resort in Baraboo, Wisconsin, I noticed all of the advertisements posted throughout the Kalahari property about their great new steak house, "The Double Cut Charcoal Grill", and my mouth began to water for a great steak. The first thing I did the next day was to try to make a reservation for an early dinner at five o'clock for a party of five. I wasn’t able to at that time, but left a message on the answering service provided. My call was returned a short while later and we were set to go. Yes, I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into a mouthwatering charcoal grilled steak at a fine new steak house!
Originally, I had made reservations for five, but because of last minute meetings, the three others weren't able to make dinner at that early time so it was only going to be my brother and me. When the designated time finally came and we first walked in the front door everything looked great and as we were being seated I could hardly wait to order. The staff was very friendly and soon after ordering our meals, the tasty bread and butter offerings arrived at the table. Everything was a go. The lobster bisque soon arrived (my brother had ordered the clam chowder) and it was a nice presentation in its bread top bowl, and the clam chowder looked great topped with clams still in their shells. The clam chowder was good. The bisque was average, but not lacking on lobster meat. No worries though, because the smell of char-grilled steaks was in the air and that was the reason we were there.
The long anticipated steaks finally came and looked pretty good sitting on their plates. Quickly after they arrived, the vegetables came one by one on their own plates, first the mushrooms, then the asparagus, then the mixed veggies, all char-grilled and looking good. I confirmed that with a taste of the asparagus and mushrooms; yes, delicious! Then, I pressed my fork lightly on the top of the middle of that big New York strip steak and realized that it was a little firm. I cut a piece from the edge and my fears were confirmed. The “medium-rare” steak I had ordered was served to me a definite “medium”. I took a taste because I had waited for so long, and noticed that other than salt it had no other seasoning or marinate. I sliced through the middle of the steak to see for sure if the entire steak was overcooked and was very disappointed (but not surprised after the fork test) to find it was so. My brother's New York strip was also overcooked. He had ordered his steak “rare”, as he does always, and his turned out a slightly overcooked “medium rare”. At least his had a little more pink to it than mine. We looked at each other and had to decide whether or not to inform our very nice server about things because in our experience it is never a good thing to complain about an overcooked steak, so we rarely do. The cook usually gets mad and you never know what you’re going to get after that. We thought about exchanging steaks since his could almost pass for “medium-rare”, and we could just return mine for a new red “rare” one for him, but the server came over at that moment (what timing, eh) and asked, "How is everything?" I decided I'd better let her know the meat was overcooked. She took a look at our steaks and called her supervisor over, who, after taking a good look himself, agreed the steaks were definitely overcooked. He had them sent back with a very polite apology and a few minutes later two new steaks came out.
You could tell just by looking at them that these two new steaks were undercooked, as we had guessed they would be. What was it that I mentioned about an upset cook and returned steaks? That’s why we don’t complain much about overdone steaks. It’s not the greatest news a cook wants to hear. Asked about them by our server, I cut mine open to show the supervisor and the server my “partially” cooked purple steak and I asked for it to be cooked a little bit more. My brother’s steak was slightly undercooked, but he wasn’t going to risk sending it back. He decided to eat his steak “as is”. When my meat came back it was still not “medium-rare”. The heat was probably too high and the middle never cooked properly. I accepted the meat and ate a small part of my steak before deciding I’d had enough. After all, my appetite by now was not what it was when I first got there. I thought of the three others that weren’t able to make the early dinner time with us and was grateful they weren’t able to make it. After all, it was I that “lobbied” for eating dinner at the “Double Cut” in the first place. We had the remaining food put into containers to go. I don’t know why I had my steak boxed up because I wasn’t going to eat it. Perhaps I didn’t want to seem ungrateful or insulting. The abundant veggies, however, were going to be consumed later. On my way out the door a staff member, probably the hostess, asked how my dinner was and I was quite frank with her. “It wasn’t good”, I replied. “Keep trying though…” I continued, “…things can get better.”
Besides not being cooked correctly, I’ll offer a tip. The steaks were a good size, but quantity is never a substitute for quality if you are trying to make a name as a fine dining establishment. If I wanted “Ruby’s Diner” quality steak I would have gone there. Well, to be fair, I can’t really say that because I’ve never eaten at a “Ruby’s Diner”. I’m not a professional food critic, but my occupation for the past thirty years has kept me constantly on the road staying at business hotels, resorts, casino hotels, etc., for forty-six to forty-eight weeks per year and thus I have to eat at restaurants all of that time unless invited over to someone’s home for a home cooked meal. As you know, that may not always be a good thing either. Also, our father was a career master chef who has prepared private dinners and banquets for heads of states, celebrities, and other notables, as well as just plain folk like us who are just looking for a good meal. The point being, we do know a good steak when we encounter one.
Keep trying because you’ve definitely got the “hype” and everything else down. That “hype” certainly got us in the door. Yes, the venue looked nice enough, had a great atmosphere, a nice menu selection, great staff, and the food presentation was appealing. The grilled veggies were very good, and the soup was adequate. Unfortunately, throwing a little salt on a piece of meat even if cooked properly does not get you a fine steak. Mr. Nelson and Mr. Roberts need to do a little more research on picking a staff that knows how to pick, prepare, and cook a great steak before opening up another “Double Cut” at another location. You need to be able to deliver the great steaks. You can fool some folks that don’t know or have never had a great steak at a really fine steak house into thinking the “Double Cut” is one of those great steak houses, but you’ll never fool me or anyone that knows a great steak, unless they’re the types that like their steaks cooked “well-done”, so they’ll never know the difference anyway. What was it that those unfortunate souls said in the aftermath of World War II? “Never again!” Perhaps that was a little harsh, but then again, maybe not.

5  Thank Ron A
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hi Ron,

We most certainly want to thank you for taking the time to review our venue. Needless to say, I am blown away by the amount of detail and constructive criticism provided. For that I am ever so grateful and want to ensure you that this will certainly not fall on deaf ears and will be conveyed to our entire team, from ownership down to our buss staff. Thank you for giving us that opportunity. Furthermore, I would love the opportunity to connect you with Double Cut's General Manager. If you have a moment, please email me your contact info and he will be in touch. KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. We would most certainly appreciate that opportunity as well to connect. I do hope to hear from you soon. Thank you again for your time! Take care.

Kassie Rizzo

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Double Cut has quickly become one of my favorite places to go in the Dells. Great lounge area, to sit by the fire and have a drink on a cold winter night. I have been here 3 times and have yet to get past sharing small plates in the bar area, everything has been great I look forward to trying a steak.

1  Thank TommyWIS

I just wanted to send a quick note, letting you know how much we appreciate you continually visiting us. Whether it be the 1st time, 3rd or this coming 4th, we love having you and can't thank you enough! Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. Take care!