“Awesome experience and great food”
Review of Rail Dog

Rail Dog
Ranked #71 of 191 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We found this place on Trip Advisor to begin with. Found it just a block off of the main strip in Wisconsin Dells. The owner was also the operator and served us great food. My wife and I split the Polish Taco and the Dells Taco, which were both delicious. The owner was very friendly and struck up some good conversation while we were there. I'd recommend this especially as something different for a reasonable price.

2  Thank Duchess_and_Dumb4ss
There are newer reviews for Rail Dog

Reviewed July 15, 2011

I was intrigued by the Rail Dog write-ups I had seen even before our Dells vacation - I just HAD to find out what a Polish Taco was (and I won't be spoiling it for other adventurers - you'll have to find out when you go). They have some signage up on the main Downtown road to catch your attention, and the Rail Dog car itself is tucked back a couple of blocks near some charming vintage motels - just look for the railroad crossing lights.
The owner greeted us and invited us into the cool rail car for a chat while we ordered, since we got there during a slower time in the afternoon. He's a great guy with genuine respect for the history of the rail car, and really knows how to provide a memorable experience, even with standard fast food.
I really enjoyed my Polish Taco, and the fries were seriously some of the best I've had at an independent restaurant. My son said that the hot dog was "awesome".
We came away with a great memory, and fun flavors that fit in really well with our Dells afternoon. We'll be finding the Rail Dog again when we return.

2  Thank JenAmazon
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Rail Dog is a hot dog stand housed in a converted caboose. Better than a regular hot dog, the Polish sausages have a bit of spice. The giardiniera (lightly pickled veggies) is a must-have topping. The Italian beef sandwich is juicy and delicious. The Polish taco (uses a Polish sausage instead of ground beef) is tasty and different. And, really, the owner is the prize in the popcorn. He jokes around with the customers and is a real character. Just know what you are having before you come up to order. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank FunkyMomof2
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Enjoyed lunch here and loved it. We were the first customers today and the owner treated us like Kings. It's something different, cheap, and fun. GO!

Reviewed June 14, 2011

The owner of Rail Dog is quite a character. Bordering on eccentric, he had our attention before I even got out of the car. He speaks with a Polish accent, is all too willing to let you try things on the menu before you buy, and he had a milion stories for us while we were there. We got to ring the bell on his caboose. He has pictures on the caboose wall of what the caboose looked like when he purchased it, how they moved it to its location, and the renovation process - all very interesting. Everything is priced very reasonably on his menu. He is definitely in the right business, and his caboose is amazing! His house next to the caboose is amazing as well. I will definitely go back to visit Rail Dog in Wisconsin Dells, and I would recommend his place to anyone visiting the Wisconsin Dells area. It may be just a hot dog stand, but it's a hot dog stand you'll never forget!

1  Thank tami_n_t