“Bad service. Food not fresh” 1 of 5 bubbles

Howies Restaurant of Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #56 of 184 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Howie's Restaurant is family owned and has been in business since 1958. We serve breakfast and brunch and have something for everyone. Our pancakes are one of a kind! Come on by and start your day off right!
Chicago
“Bad service. Food not fresh”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

So we thought this was as good as when it was on the "strip". First our waitress seemed to forget everything we ordered. We had to pull staff to get a coffee refill, pancake syrup and hot sauce. The food was overpriced for the quality and quantity. Try anything else.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank rpm1774

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Purse strings held tightly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Howie's Hugh Breakfast restaurant has always given us good food prepared well. The restaurant seems clean and has a fairly open kitchen so you can look in if you so choose. It has always angered me that if you want anything besides plain white toast you have to pay a quarter per slice! Really! I have not gone to that restaurant for that very reason several times now. I wonder if it's worth it to them? I wonder if it angers anyone else. It gives me the feeling of being knickled and dimed to death.
After not being able to get into 3 other restaurants I figured it would be different at Howie's. Yep, got right in. Whoever is holding the purse strings of this restaurant has everything so tight it's too much. Only the cheapest of jellies are out on the table. your silverware is wrapped in one napkin that is very cheap. There are no others available without asking. The syrup has been changed into a smaller portion container when served with pancakes or waffle. My friend has a specialty drink and then just asked for a litle decaf to warm it and was charged $1.75 for a full refillable order. The hostess was the one that poured so she had to be the one to tell the waitress to add it to the bill. This could go either way...I see both sides.
The hugh breakfast (one egg, 2 pancakes, potato, 1 slice of toast) is only $4.95 but if you add meat it's another $3 and if you have coffee another $1.75. There were only a few creams on the table. The bathroom was very low on TP, it wasn't in the container for TP that was on the wall and there were no back ups. As I was walking out I heard the little girl in one of the stalls tell her mom she had no TP in her stall. There were a couple other things but I'm trying to forget so I will leave it at this. It was the feeling that I got that I will always remember. you know what they say, You may fiorget what someone says to you but you won't forget the feeling they gave you."
I worked in restaurants for MANY years, my husband owned one and my son owns one now. I understand trying to keep the costs in line and the profits as high as possible but there should be a line where the customer comes first. Maybe by keeping the place clean and the food good that is their line for what customers deserve. Those are two very important things I have to admit!

Visited April 2014
Delano, Minnesota
“Poor servicea and Cold Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very disappointing. They were busy, so that was probably part of it. We hardly saw our waitress. People that came in after us got there food way before us, they had another waitress. When we did finally get our food, it was cold. Not even warm, cold. I was already a bit upset, then I get the bill and find out Coffee was $2.50. Kids drinks were over $2. To sum it up, Terrible Service, Cold Food and Overpriced Beverages. I wouldn't go back if it was free.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wayne H
lehigh acres fl
“We enjoyed it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We weren't sure if they were open; one car there but we went in and the french toast and the whole wheat bread (and yes they charge an extra $.25 each for the whole wheat) are very delicious. It's a thicker different kind of bread. The white is just the thin cheap processed bread. There was an older lady there to greet; very friendly - I think this was the cook and the waitress was ok. A little forgetful but maybe because it was so slow her mind was on other things. It just reminded me of small hometown restaurants before all the chains took over yet without the 'energy'. Yes I'd eat there again. Not sure how they'd be if it was busy though.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Reynoldsburg
“a good choice for breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We decided to have breakfast at Howie's this morn and were glad we did. The food was delicious and served quickly in spite of ordering after a large party. We are planning to return another time while we are here for a week.

• Visited September 2013