“Great Hotel Units”

Holiday Shore Campground & Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Holiday Shore Campground & Resort
Ranked #58 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the second year I stayed in October at Holiday Shores Campground, while completing the Walk for Easter Seals Wisconsin. In 2011, my daughter and I stayed in the hotel unit. This year my friend, her grandchildren, my daughter and I rented two units. The units are very clean. They are free standing, and each has a different decor. Last year nautical, this year the beach, and my friends was fishing. I like that the units are freestanding. They offer everything any chain hotel offers, except an included breakfast. They also offer an extra, a fire pit outside each unit, which we really enjoyed. There was also a DVD player. Included was admittance to Chula Vista water park for each of us. The price was excellent because it was off-season. After going there the first year, I knew that was where we would stay every year. I'm really glad that they are still open that weekend! By the way, I had no problem with the staff either year. They were even patient with the children and held conversations with them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in the park model #38m. The lodging was clean and spacious for our family of four. The kitchen had everything we needed to make meals, including dish soap and coffee filters. The fridge is full sized. The shower was hot and didn't run out.

There is plenty of storage for everything. The beds in the bedrooms were very comfortable and the air conditioning was awesome! I'd recommend bringing an air mattress instead of using the pull out couch (as is the case with all pull outs). On rainy days, the huge covered deck was very handy.

The campground is very quiet at night, and didn't really wake up until 10 a.m. each day. We had our own boat along and the dock crew was very gracious about helping get our wheelchair-bound parent on board. The obstacle course for the kids was a blast and the pool is heated and a wonderful place to hang out at night. The ice cream at the office is delicious! The teens had fun hanging out in the pool while the younger kids enjoyed the todder pool, the playgrounds and waterfront.

All the staff we encountered were very nice, helpful and courteous. The shower house by the pool was spotless. The 21 Lounge was really nice-all new furniture and good prices on drinks. The kids game room was a little disappointing but with so much else to do, who cares?

Each evening we took part in the organized activities and really enjoyed that as well.

We made use of the Chula Vista passes. It is a nice park for a couple hours for kids 12 and under.

I'd recommend this resort for families with kids of any age, and plan on returning next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

After reading some of the reviews here I was reluctant to spend time/money here but this is the place my brother picked for a family reunion so what can you do?

Not a big fan of "tenting" so rented a motel unit. The unit was newer, all the amenities of a regular hotel room. Towels, soaps, refridge, maid service... The A/C kept up easily with the 90+ degree weather. Everything very claen, even grill cleaned out. These were especially nice for my "senior" parents who don't "tent" or want the hassle of a trailer. Found an ant here or there but hey, I was camping?? Even better, these are standalone units so you don't hear any neighbors, either side, above or below.

Staff? I read a lot about rude staff. This was where I was confused. Did not encouter one staff member who was less than friendly. Always very helpful, offering to give you a ride up the hill on a golf cart, answering any question you might have. The younger kids at the rental dock worked endlessly cleaning rental boats.

When I did see the staff "put their foot down" it was usually subtly in sign form requsting you not use towels outside the motel unit or for rags. parking in spots that block or things that business owners should be concerned about to keep their business attractive, convenient and profitable. I assume the people who left bad comments here are the ones who like to "buck the system" and make everybody ELSES stay less than enjoyable.

Beach nice, boat slip I got was good. Great access to Dells (city or river)

Bottom line: I LOVED the motel units, entire stay enjoyable. Couldn't find a thing to complain about (OK maybe the bugs but Holiday Shores really can't fix that). This was much better than the reunion 2 years ago where we stayed at the "other" large campground and we will most likely be back.

Room Tip: Tip though, If you get a motel unit don't leave on the outside light. Attracts bugs to the white...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stilltrippin
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This was our families first time here (2 adults and 10 n 22 yr old). The only thing I had to go on was reviews (that's why they are so important for people to write). We LOVED everything about this place. The staff was very friendly, even the young kids (we read from other reviews were rude) working their we thought were very nice and seemed to enjoy their jobs. Most of them said it was their 4th summer and they loved working their. The motel unit was very clean, maid service came everyday and cleaned. The grill outside was even clean, nice picnic table, firering was perfect for a fire at night. We rented a pontoon that was very clean and ran excellent it's the only way to relax and see the beauty of the lake and beach areas, we parasailed which was an adrenaline rush, the paddle boats were fun too! We ran out of time to jetski, but that will be on our list to do next year. The donuts they have every morning just melt in your mouth, coffee is made fresh too! And if you wanted to go in town to the dells it's only 5 minutes to more fun! I could go on and on about this place but I think you get the idea, we LOVED it. We will be returning every year.

Room Tip: we rented a motel unit and loved it, two beds, shower, small frig and micro. very clean and worth th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank chaincrew
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We go to Wisconsin Dells every year. And, every year this is where we stay. The staff is very efficient and friendly. The campground is beautiful and kept very clean. We stay in a trailer every year, so we haven't experienced the actually tent sites yet. We do pass them on the way around the campground though and they look very nice. They have a little camp store with everything you need, a laundry room and game room. They do have teenagers working there, but they do things like scoop the ice cream and sell you t-shirts. I have never seen one behind the check-in counter, or taking complaints. One time when our air conditioner stopped working, they were there within 2 hours to fix it. They don't have a ton of planned activities, but they do have some. A fire engine ride, penny and candy hunts, bingo, and a mini drive in movie theater. They have a lot of boats for rent, and they are pretty well maintained and kept clean. And the homemade donuts in the morning are to die for! the location is perfect. Close enough to downtown without being too close. It sure does beat staying in a hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank amyjg
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Poor customer service. The only people we saw running the place were 16yr olds who lacked customer service skills. We had reservations they told us we really didn't even need and we still waited 45 minutes for someone to show up and take us parasailing. No one showed up or communicated to us what was going on. We asked for our money back and THEN they decided to try and do something about it but it was too late we were out the door. Waste of gas to get out there, waste of our time waiting for someone who never showed.

5  Thank xtremesports
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We chose this campground based on their website--which shows a beautiful facility.....our experience did not live up to this. We spent 4 days and 3 nights here before moving on to Devil's Lake State Park. We should have skipped this part of our camping trip--and just gone to Devil's Lake.
The campsites were like parking spots--squishy, on top of each other, and absolutely not privacy--no trees between camping spots. We unfortunately were sandwiched between 6 families that came together--and decided to drink, and sing on and on by the campfire until 2a.m. We found this campground to be full of people mostly interested in drinking, and letting their kids run wild.
The pool was fine--fairly clean--but garbage cans were overflowing with beer cans as people wheeled in cooler after cooler of beer, and sat and got drunk while their children entertained themselves.
The seasonal campers- this was pretty much like hillbilly land--all kinds of makeshift decks added onto camping trailers, and rv's-- kind of scary at first sight.
The beach - well it really wasn't a beach to speak of--lots of work needed here to make it family friendly and usable. They do have a fun floating "island" of slides and climbing things out in the water--but they were a little too far out for kids to play safely.
We did rent a pontoon here--and this was a great experience--friendly people, and the young men at the dock helped us a lot.
We also rented a golf cart--this was really fun--and we went all over the campground--exploring all the hillbilly looking permanent campers---our children ages 3,6,8 thought this was fun.
Bathrooms were air conditioned and fairly clean.
We would definitely not return to this campground - the sites are way to close together, and this did not feel like a relaxing get out in nature type family place. If you are interested in drinking from morning to night, letting your kids run wild, and don't care that you can look into the neighbors camper that is only 12 feet away--then you would probably enjoy this place.
Devil's Lake made this place look like we spend 3 days in the inner city.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family