“WORST NIGHT OF OUR LIVES”

Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #72 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersGold level
Franklin, Wisconsin
“WORST NIGHT OF OUR LIVES”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location is not that bad, we walked into our room and noticed that it looked like has not been used in a while. Woke up in the Middle of the night 4:30 AM and felt like something was creeping on my legs and arms. Pulled the sheet off and was covered with multiple BEDBUGS. Immediately packed our stuff and complained to the manager in charge at the time. We even took one of the bugs, in a cup, to the gal at the front desk and she stated ahhh BEDBUGS... We asked for a refund and left without receiving one, was told that they did not have the authority to refund our money. If your looking for a few BITES and no help from the people in charge, this is the place to stay. Pool arera was dirty and pool water was dingy looking. No REST here,

5 Thank Paul M
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your recent experience at our hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
portland oregon
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The outside of the hotel is a little dated but the rooms are clean and the location is nice. The hotel is on a side street so it's less noisy than being on the main street yet you can walk to most of the attractions and restaurants. The room was large and the bed comfortable so we slept well and that's what counts!

Room Tip: We didn't have a reservation when we arrived. The rate we were quoted at the front desk seemed a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your recent stay at our hotel.
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Our room smelled like a musty basement there were spider webs on the inside window and everything seemed dirty the pool had alot of hair in it and the hot tub didn't work and we also heard other guest complain about how dirty there room was the only good thing was the location

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank smerls88

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Thiensville, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our Choice Rewards complimentary night hotel suite room at Econo Lodge in Wisconsin Dells was totally unacceptable. In the bedroom the drapery rod was supported by only one loose screw at one end and you had to be careful when you pulled it shut or it might fall down. In the bathroom the toilet paper holder was ripped out so you had to use toilet paper that sat on the sink. The bathroom door frame and mirror frame had been previously ripped off the wall and so it was rough. There were no towels and so we had to request them from the front desk. We got in late and so we had to take what we had. The manager was helpful but mentioned that he had to work late due to staff not coming in. In the morning the breakfast area was a mess with a dirty waffle iron, no bags for the garbage even after they were requested, dirty things everywhere. Staff were apologetic but unable to correct the problems. This place needs a lot of help and possibly new management.
Econo Lodge is the lowest of the Choice Hotels package in my estimation. I travel a lot for my job and typically stay in Choice Hotels. This place is arguably the worst hotel that I have stayed in. Econo Lodge are recycled older hotels. In this case this is a recycled Days Inn. Not thrilled with the Econo Lodge brand but sometimes it is the only Choice Hotel where I need to go and I can use my points. Makes me rethink staying at any Econo Lodge. I will plan to make mention of this to the Choice Hotels Management. I recently watched "Undercover Boss" that featured Choice Hotels and they addressed different issues in a positive manner. I could only imagine what the boss would say about this place. I am sure that things would immediately change or else.

Room Tip: Be wary of the Econo Lodge brand hotel.
1 Thank Kevin K
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is under new management and the new employees are very friendly and hard working! The place is clean and very family friendly. The staff were accomodating as well. I was amazed at all of the rude comments about this hotel and wondered if we were talking about the same place! If you read these reviews, please remember that starting September 6th, an entire new staff has started. Give them a try, I promise you will not be dissappointed with the rates or the experience.

3 Thank Sharon M
Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The first room, a suite, was unacceptable. The toilet paper holder, towel rack, and part of the bathroom door frame had all been ripped off the wall. A drapery rod was supported by only one loose screw at one end. Walls were dirty with what appeared to be squashed bug spots on them. The only bath towel was one left on the door hook by a previous occupant.

I accepted a different room, not a suite, but I didn't care since I was using Choice Rewards loyalty points to pay for it. This room was satisfactory but still needed some general cleaning beyond what a maid would be able to do, for example, drapes, grouting, etc.

The pool and hot tub promised by the website were closed for repairs. Those with physical limitations should note that this property does not appear to have an elevator anywhere. This was the third poor experience I've had with Choice Hotels branded properties this year. I expect I will do what I can to use up my rewards points and switch my loyalty to a different lodging chain.

Room Tip: Definitely ask to thoroughly examine the room in which you would be staying BEFORE you register. Cal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I would like to begin by saying that this hotel is under new management. In fact, the sign was changed from Days Inn to Econo Lodge while we were there. We checked in, in the middle of August, I might add, with only a moment's notice, since we were supposed to stay at the Super 8 down the highway. The Super 8 was going to charge us an additional fee of 150 a day if we left our dog unattended in the room at any time. Can you even believe that? We checked out of the Super 8 only moments after checking in, and, now I was in a panic. What was I going to do? I had made the reso in May, and I have never checked out of a hotel like that in my life. So, with high anxiety, we began to search for another hotel at the last minute. We happened upon Econo Lodge, perched high atop the four corners of the Bridge at The Dells, with an exciting view of the entire vacation paradise. MATT, who checked us in, was kind and courteous and understanding. He gave us a room which was exactly like the one at Super 8, two queen beds, and we were unpacking within moments of our arrival. In fact, everyone here went out of their way to help us and everyone was kind and helpful and friendly. Our room was nice, quiet, cozy. You should be aware that there are no refrigerators in the rooms, but Matt said we could keep anything we wanted in their fridge. I thought that was nice. We bought a cooler at Walgreens and kept it filled with ice, so we made a makeshift fridge for our four day stay. Our room was quite sufficient for our stay. And guess what? This is the PERFECT place to stay if you are on a budget and are traveling with your pet. Ignore the other rude comments that people have made about this motel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this place. It was clean, the staff were awesome, all of them, and we were made to feel at home the entire time we were there. I will certainly stay here again. Thank you, everyone, at Econo Lodge, for being so nice, and helping us in a pinch. You guys are awesome!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family