“Stay in your car. You'll get a better nights sleep.”

Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #69 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersGold level
Plainfield, Indiana
“Stay in your car. You'll get a better nights sleep.”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hotel is the pits! We arrived at 3:00 pm on a Saturday. They told us that check in wasn't until 4:00 pm and that we would have to wait. Finally at 5:40 the room was ready. It was still dirty. Not just dirty, nasty!!! It would appear that a woman with long hair must have stayed there because a big wad of her hair was behind the bathroom door along with price tags from various clothes items. The vent in the bathroom was so clogged with lint that it wouldn't circulate air if it needed to. Onward, we requested an additional chair (at 6:00). They told us they would bring one right up. 7:15, we called back to the front desk again. Alas, the person who would do that went home. At this same time we discovered that the AC was not working correctly. It would run for 60 seconds and turn off for 5 - 7 minutes. Couldn't get the room cooled down!! We asked for two extra towels. They were out. We asked for a ride to the local casino (which is free, all the hotel had to do was call) and they blew that off too. The 2nd shift guy was more interested in smoking and talking to his buddies outside to help any guests.. not just us. After we got back (1 am) we tried to go to sleep. People were outside smoking right by our first floor room. They were using LOUD vulgarities and throwing objects against the building. I called the 3rd shift person and he said that he couldn't leave the desk and that they would "probably" just go to sleep soon. 3 am was soon. We tried to address these issues with the manager, "Latif" and he offered a 10% coupon for the next stay. Ppppfffffttt! Next stay!?!?! Long and the short of it, if you have a cardboard box to sleep in, it would be cleaner, cooler, and cheaper than this place. Avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Go to a neighboring hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for comments on Tripadvisor. We will use your comments and constructive criticism to make your future stay better at our hotel. I apologize in behalf of my staff and myself for less then satisfactory experience you had at our hotel. We are working hard everyday to improve our selves to better serve each of our guests. If there is anything else we can do to make it right, please give me us a call at 608-254-6444.

Prince Tuhin, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from Sunday until Wednesday morning. The room smelled of urine near the couch and when opening the top dresser drawer. The base of the lamp in the room had a thick layer of dust on it (something that couldn't have accumulated over a couple weeks). When we pulled out the sofa bed the urine smell became more noticeable. I'm not one to complain so we sprayed some lysol and figured we'd notify the front desk. I explained the urine smell to the front desk on Tuesday morning and told them about the pull out sofa bed which was extremely lumpy and so flat you could feel all the bars underneath. The employee at the front desk said, "well, it's not going to change overnight." I explained that I understood and that we also needed service as it was Tuesday and we hadn't recieved it yet. (This was at 10a) We finally got service - a vacuum and sheet change after 4p that night. The bathroom and the sink area were not touched at all and the layers of dust remained - along with the smell of urine. I couldn't believe they didn't offer us a different room so they could take care of the urine smell or at the VERY least a fake act of concern. My family and I will not be staying at this motel again and I have also written a letter to corporate about the stay.
Some other minor things were:
- complimentary breakfast buffet was also empty frequently
- outdorr pool was never skimmed during our stay

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ebloch21

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed for 2 days/nights, all rooms smelled musty and moldy!!!
And towels well another story!! The bed smelled! Dared not too sleep nude!!!!! Dust everywhere!! And talk about hair, in toilet and tub don't even want to say!! Food for breakfast, ok, but for diabetics not good either!!! So we won't be back!!!!!! No way!!!!

• Stayed August 2011

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked a non-refundable 3 night weekend via Expedia to attend a wedding in the Dells and were stuck there for 2 and then left for the 3rd even though we had paid for it because the place was THAT BAD. Plumbing in poor repair, landscaping terrible, room had bugs, and the exterior was littered with old matresses and beer bottles, exterior pool had debris, and interior pool had so many chemicals our 5 year old daughter's eyes were "burnt." On the first night we had an unattended little league team across the hall who I had to talk to about noise at 11:00 pm. and the next night their drunk coach was banging on their door at bar time and woke our child, who is very heavy sleeper. I won't return here for anything, will never stay at a Days Inn again, and will never book a non-refundable room with a chain thinking there might be some standards. Save your money and "upgrade" to a Super 8 or Motel 6.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Despite the reviews we nearly stayed because they allowed dogs. When we arrived at the room there was a woman and a child squatting there. In the 5 minutes I spent in the lobby and hallways I can tell you its not worth consideration.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank StationWagonVacation
just_a_traveler3000, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you for your response. We will use your comments and constructive criticism to make your future stay better at our hotel. I apologize in behalf of my staff and myself for less then satisfactory experience you had at our hotel. We are working everyday to improve our selves to help each of our guest with a satisfactory experience. If there is anything else we can do to make it right, please give me us a call at 608-254-6444.
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked this dump.
Last minute trip, so this was the only place in the Dells that had a room available.
The room was musty smelling, and dirty. The sign out front says " Recently Renovated". WOW! I hate to have seen this place before!!
I was really looking forward to a little pool time to beat the heat. Walked down to the pool and the water was white. Every lounge chair was broken and the pool deck was filthy.
The grounds were unkept, weeds in the flower beds and planters.
STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel 3 different times in the past and after reading these reviews on here I had to post my review from a few months back.

This hotel is terrible.

When we checked in, there were dogs behind the front desk and none of the workers spoke good english. They were very unorganized and the lobby was small and smelled like a kennel.

The outdoor pool was closed during our stays and the rooms are so small it's a joke.

The day we checked out it was raining so we exited the hotel through our hotel window to put our baggage in our car. How nice that our room on the first floor didn't have a window screen-- NOT.

Overall, don't waste your time or money on this place. Stay at Skyline or AmericInn...you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends