“Not a Fan of Chula Vista”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #47 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
milwaukee
“Not a Fan of Chula Vista”
Reviewed September 13, 2007

The campus at Chula Vista is absolutely beautiful but I would not recommend staying there for the price. Everything looks very new, from a majority of the buildings and the bar and restaurant but then you get to the room and it's a slight step up from staying in a local Motel. The rooms are very old and sub standard. Unless there are newer rooms that we did not see I would not pay $170 again to go there again.

The hotel is also isolated from the everything. If you'd like to go to dinner somewhere other than the restaurant on campus (where they charge $40-$80 for steaks!!!) it's at least a 5-10 minute drive depending on where you want to go.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank careycl34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Turkish first
illinois
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Was looking for a new place in the dells to visit for our anniversary. Stumbled upon Chula Vista. The reason i was interested was the all inclusive but after reading numerous reviews I was a little unsure. Check in time came and was treated to fast and curteous service and the room was amazing. I stayed in the studio and strongly recommend this room. The all inclusive was amazing and was everything that was stated to be. The waterparks are a lilttle on the dull sode but with the all inclusive, the water parks were secondary. Great place to stay for romantic getaways or family fun A+++++

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank boozer1120
LaCrosse, WI
Reviewed September 6, 2007

We stayed in a 2 room condo over Labor day weekend...Beautiful!! We went with the all inclusive deal and could not have been happier with our stay. The condo was spacious and beautifully decorated-The food was fantastic and lots of variety from the Buffet to the snack shacks at the water park. The staff was friendly-check in was a breeze (5 min). We never had to wait whether it be for the water park or to eat..The location of the resort was great...3 miles from the madness of downtown. The pool area behind the hotel overlooks the lake. I honestly cannot think of anything bad to say about out entire weekend We cannot wait to return. Glad I didnt listen to negative reviews

• Liked — The all-inclusive deal
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Just got back and have to say I'm glad we didn't listen to the bad reviews. Granted with everything there is good and bad, but there was more good than bad.
First the good. Check-in was qiuck-took about 10 mins.The desk staff was very nice and helpful.Every employee that we delt with or passed in the halls were very curtious.Our fist morning my 2y/o woke up at 5am,so we went for a walk around the hotel.We wound up talking to a lady that worked the buffet,I asked if there was anywhere to buy a cup of coffee and she was nice enough to get me a cup from the buffet even though it wasn't open andwouldn't let me pay her for it.The rest of the staff we delt with or passed in the halls were very curtious and friendly.
As for the Life guard blowing Their whistles all the time-the only time We heard them was when kids were doing something wrong-which wasn't very often. The water parks were great for our 2y/o and our 6y/o.
The only thing we were disappointed with was the dinner buffet. The food itself was ok-I'd rate it up there with eatting at an Old Country Buffet, just didn't think it was worth the $70 we paid.But that didn't detract from the wonderful time we had there.
So all pn all I'd say disregard the bad reviews and give this place a try.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jgaikis
wisconsin
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We had a great time at the outdoor pools. They have several to choose from for all ages. My children are teenagers so loved the pool with the volleyball net and basketball net. Its a little deeper so there wasn' t any small children in it. My husband went golfing on the new golf course and loved it.
Recomend this place for all ages.

• Liked — The variety of outdoo pool areas.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lovethesunWisconsin
US
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I just returned from a trip to the Chula Vista for my cousin's 16th birthday party. We had a large group of people, so we rented a condo and a couple others stayed in the adjoining room next door. It was very conveinent for us. The condo was great!! It looked very nice, there was a jacuzzi, 2 bedrooms, a huge bathroom and a smaller one next to the bedroom, a big kitchen, and a nice living room. The room next door was very nice too. This hotel room was probably the best hotel room I have ever stayed in. I hear there are old and new hotel rooms, so I'm guessing that we stayed in one of the newer ones.

The waterpark has a lot of fun activities for all ages. There are a good variety of slides (of course nothing like Noah's Ark), and there's an underground tunnel that takes you from your hotel to the waterpark, because they are not connected. I thought that was a neat idea to make a tunnel. It's fun to try all of the water activities, but after you do all of them a few times, it can get a little boring. The water coaster and bowl slide were my favorites and the lines don't take very long. There are also many kiddie areas for little ones to enjoy. The outdoor waterpark only has 3 big slides, so there's not much outdoors, but the indoor area is a lot nicer!! The only thing about the waterpark that I didn't like was the poolside snack cafes, because it took forever to get your food, even if you just order fries...

Overall, my trip to Chula Vista was a lot of fun, and I think it was a great place for my cousin to have her 16th birthday party. If you're looking for a fun and exciting place to stay, try the Chula Vista!

• Liked — Indoor Waterpark
  • Disliked — Poolside Cafes
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank koolkp
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Went to the dells to spend a night before heading to the water parks, did some research on where to stay, booked Chula vista, cost around 190 with AAA disccount for a King room with a balcony... big mistake.
I travel weekly for my job, so I have tried every thing from Motel 6 to Ritz Carlton, and have a good idea of what rooms should look like, food, etc... The rooms in this resort felt like they havent been cleaned in a year, furniture was from 1970, hallways smelled like animals lived there... bathroom was old and had black stains... not to mention the stained dirty carpet. The bed is basically a large wooden piece with a 20 year old mattress and dirty covers....
We ate dinner at the steak house, thought it was way over priced for quality of food, not recommend.
Next morning we had brunch and their so called "fresh market", I am not sure why they call it fresh, everything was old and oily... not recommended (they dont have skim milk, never saw that before, they only carry 2% milk!)

If you want to spend 200, you might as well stay in a motel, pretty much same rooms, and pay 160 less. Food was bad and expensive. Only good thing I would give them credit for is the indoor water park and thats it, otherwise, do your research and find a better resort in the dells.

• Liked — water park
  • Disliked — rooms and food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple