“Don't listen to the bad reviews”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Just got back and have to say I'm glad we didn't listen to the bad reviews. Granted with everything there is good and bad, but there was more good than bad.
First the good. Check-in was qiuck-took about 10 mins.The desk staff was very nice and helpful.Every employee that we delt with or passed in the halls were very curtious.Our fist morning my 2y/o woke up at 5am,so we went for a walk around the hotel.We wound up talking to a lady that worked the buffet,I asked if there was anywhere to buy a cup of coffee and she was nice enough to get me a cup from the buffet even though it wasn't open andwouldn't let me pay her for it.The rest of the staff we delt with or passed in the halls were very curtious and friendly.
As for the Life guard blowing Their whistles all the time-the only time We heard them was when kids were doing something wrong-which wasn't very often. The water parks were great for our 2y/o and our 6y/o.
The only thing we were disappointed with was the dinner buffet. The food itself was ok-I'd rate it up there with eatting at an Old Country Buffet, just didn't think it was worth the $70 we paid.But that didn't detract from the wonderful time we had there.
So all pn all I'd say disregard the bad reviews and give this place a try.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jgaikis
There are newer reviews for Chula Vista Resort

Reviewed August 27, 2007

We had a great time at the outdoor pools. They have several to choose from for all ages. My children are teenagers so loved the pool with the volleyball net and basketball net. Its a little deeper so there wasn' t any small children in it. My husband went golfing on the new golf course and loved it.
Recomend this place for all ages.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank lovethesunWisconsin
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I just returned from a trip to the Chula Vista for my cousin's 16th birthday party. We had a large group of people, so we rented a condo and a couple others stayed in the adjoining room next door. It was very conveinent for us. The condo was great!! It looked very nice, there was a jacuzzi, 2 bedrooms, a huge bathroom and a smaller one next to the bedroom, a big kitchen, and a nice living room. The room next door was very nice too. This hotel room was probably the best hotel room I have ever stayed in. I hear there are old and new hotel rooms, so I'm guessing that we stayed in one of the newer ones.

The waterpark has a lot of fun activities for all ages. There are a good variety of slides (of course nothing like Noah's Ark), and there's an underground tunnel that takes you from your hotel to the waterpark, because they are not connected. I thought that was a neat idea to make a tunnel. It's fun to try all of the water activities, but after you do all of them a few times, it can get a little boring. The water coaster and bowl slide were my favorites and the lines don't take very long. There are also many kiddie areas for little ones to enjoy. The outdoor waterpark only has 3 big slides, so there's not much outdoors, but the indoor area is a lot nicer!! The only thing about the waterpark that I didn't like was the poolside snack cafes, because it took forever to get your food, even if you just order fries...

Overall, my trip to Chula Vista was a lot of fun, and I think it was a great place for my cousin to have her 16th birthday party. If you're looking for a fun and exciting place to stay, try the Chula Vista!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank koolkp
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Went to the dells to spend a night before heading to the water parks, did some research on where to stay, booked Chula vista, cost around 190 with AAA disccount for a King room with a balcony... big mistake.
I travel weekly for my job, so I have tried every thing from Motel 6 to Ritz Carlton, and have a good idea of what rooms should look like, food, etc... The rooms in this resort felt like they havent been cleaned in a year, furniture was from 1970, hallways smelled like animals lived there... bathroom was old and had black stains... not to mention the stained dirty carpet. The bed is basically a large wooden piece with a 20 year old mattress and dirty covers....
We ate dinner at the steak house, thought it was way over priced for quality of food, not recommend.
Next morning we had brunch and their so called "fresh market", I am not sure why they call it fresh, everything was old and oily... not recommended (they dont have skim milk, never saw that before, they only carry 2% milk!)

If you want to spend 200, you might as well stay in a motel, pretty much same rooms, and pay 160 less. Food was bad and expensive. Only good thing I would give them credit for is the indoor water park and thats it, otherwise, do your research and find a better resort in the dells.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swissexpectations
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This place is fabulous!! I've never been to WI Dells before, but I have traveled a lot and this place was very inviting and beautiful. I'm not sure where the guy stayed that said you have to go outside to get to the indoor water park. There is a very nice, beautifully decorated TUNNEL from the hotel/condo's to the park. The 2 BR condo was unbelievable for the price of $179/night. It was huge, lots of open space, and the most comfortable king size bed with down feather pillows and top I've ever slept in while traveling. My 4 yr old loved the indoor water park. Lots of variety, however she was unable to go on the big rides--must be 42"--so she was a bit disappointed in her height. It is a bit loud, but she managed to take a 45" nap in my arms. The BIG rides do require lots of stair climbing, but good exercise and lots of laughs. The lazy river is sometimes crowded, but the "waves" it produces on/off are a riot! The outside park is equally as fun, but also height restrictions. Never played mini-golf, as it rained most of the time we were there. There are just so many things about this place that make it great. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank laeMn
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My 5 year old son and I just returned from one weeknight visit to Chula Vista and I'll share the good and bad:

Good: Resort itself is very pretty with beautiful flowers, gorgeous views of the lake and woods. We booked a 2-bedroom condo in the newer building and it was also very beautiful; huge with a nice, full sized kitchen with granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances and fully equipped with cooking utensils. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the place itself was immaculate. Housekeeping does a great job. Waterpark is pretty decent especially for young kids, and the outdoor park was nice, too.

Bad: With the exception of the night manager, most of the staff was rude or foreign and difficult to understand.

When we first checked in to our room, the glass fireplace face was off the track and resting in front of the fireplace on the floor. You could literally reach in and touch the pilot light! The temperature of the room was also very warm and we could not adjust the temperature. After calling 3 times to have these things fixed, the night manager moved us to a smaller, hotel type room, but paid for our entire nights stay because of the inconvenience. She was very apologetic about it especially since there were no other 2 bedroom condo units available that night. She also told us that that air conditioning had been broken for a week and they should not have put us in there. Why did they book it then? Once we moved into the next room, we found that the cooling system was so loud in the room it made it difficult to sleep. I would describe it as a helicopter hovering overhead. Very annoying! Overall, though, the rooms were very quiet which meant that the soundproofing in the building was done well!

The waterpark was incredibly loud and way over-crowded. The temperature in the water park was too hot as well. We didn't like the fact that we had to cross the parking lot to go to the waterpark. What do people do when it's winter? We heard there was a tunnel that connects the buildings but we never found it and the foreign speaking employees just pointed in all directions obviously not understanding what we were asking.

Food: After waiting for over 20 minutes for a server to help us at the bar near the Market Fresh Buffet, we finally decided to eat at the buffet rather than the bar. The food was pretty good with a nice choice of meats, crab legs (yummy), and salad items. It was pretty pricey for two people ($30 for myself and my 5 year old who ate next to nothing). Also, because there were no restaurants in our building we, again, had to walk to a different building to eat. We would have been better off utilizing the kitchen in our condo to eat rather than eat out.

Parking: Atrocious. We had to drive around waiting for a spot to open up. There were too many people and not enough parking spaces.

Overall we had a pretty nice time. I would like to go back when it's less crowded and off-season. I would like to try Kalahari next time to see how it compares.

1  Thank kelsum02
Reviewed August 22, 2007

I have been to Chula Vista 3 times. Once on a romantic getaway with my husband, once for New Year's Eve, and once for a volleyball tournament. I stayed in different classes of rooms each time. When I went the first time, it was before the renovations to the water park, so that is probably the greatest improvement since that first visit. We stayed in a king suite with a view and the room was average. It was clean and comfortable. The food was average, but the drinks were great. We went for the all inclusive package and felt it was definitely worth the money.

For New Year's Eve, a group of 8 of us shared a 2 bedroom condo. Now these are really nice! It has nice appliances, furniture, bathrooms, and is just a great place. The jacuzzi tub was a lot of fun to have right in the room. The indoor water park was a lot of fun, with a few bigger slides and a lazy river. It's not the best waterpark, but we didn't go for the waterpark. Again, all of us did the all inclusive deal and felt it was well worth the money. The New Year's Eve celebration was a great time! Chula Vista had 3 banquet rooms set up with 2 different bands, food, and drinks. The New Year's Eve buffet was excellent, esp. the crab legs.

This past summer 2 girlfriends and I stayed in a 2 bed queen room for a volleyball tournament. We requested a non-smoking room and we were placed in a smoking room. We called the front desk and were able to change rooms within 20 minutes, and were upgraded to a junior suite queen 2 bed, which we thought was handled very well. We did not choose the all inclusive option this time since we'd be busy all day, but the hotel was clean, comfortable, and an overall good experience again. Since January, they have remodeled the dining and bar areas and it looked very nice. However, I didn't try it since we were not on the all inclusive plan.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends