“Will never keep up with the other large parks!”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Only one indoor water park (unlike the other larger ones) and you cannot get to it unless you walk outside. But be careful if you do walk outside, across the parking lot to thewater park because there are cars everywhere, frantically searching for a parking spot since there are not nearly enough spots for the amt. of rooms. Then there's the elevators, all 2 of them, which only fit about 6 people (not including luggage or a luggage cart which are nearly impossible to get upon check in or check out!). The rooms are OK but very dimly lit and not very "homey" or comfortable feeling. This place is also away from everything, off the main drag and for us, this was a dissadvantage as we had to drive further to get to places to eat or for entertainment or shopping.

Now, more on the waterpark... There were one or two unique rides/slide but the rest were pretty lame. It didn't have alot of the water features that some of the larger ones have, such as a wave pool and it was quite noisy inside. It just seems as if this place does not have it's "stuff" together as far as keeping up with the larger parks in the area. We are frequent visitors to the Dells and will not stay here again. We will stay at the Wilderness next time (unfortuantely it was all booked for this weekend!) as it offers the most for your money and no matter what the weather is, you will have a blast without even having to go outside!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jojomander

Reviewed August 18, 2007

Our Family of 6 just returned from Chula vista Aug 18. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo and it was very nice. More than enough room for all 6 of us. Liked having the microwave and refrigerator. Also had a very good ice maker in frig. Beds in both bedrooms very comfortable. Even sleeper sofa was ok according to my 12 y.o. We requested a ground floor room and got one. Had a very good view off rear patio,could even see some of the boat traffic on the river. Only drawback to patio was it was right below the ac unit drains and was wet on one side all the time. Had to sit all the way to right to keep from getting dripped on. They should put on a drainage system or a small awning to keep the water away.
We did use the all inclusive package and it was well worth it. Just sign and add room number and tip and off you go. It was available at all but the upper end steak house. The buffet was very good and if you like crab legs you would be in heaven. All food hot and most very tasty. Very good made to order omelettes at breakfast. If you like thin crust pizza that was almost always available,even at breakfast. It was very good!!
Inside water park was fun. Water coaster fun but very jerky. All the slides are fast and very long. Our last day or two there it was chilly and it was nice to still be able to play in the water. The lazy river gets a little crowded but a good way to relax. Their are several flights of stairs up to the slides which can be a little tough,but needed the exercise after eating so much. The outside water park is ok. Seemed to be geared for younger children but did have 3 big slides also which were fun. Played mini golf a couple times and it is a nice course. They have a baby lazy river that is perfect for 2-3 y. o kids and a sports pool for volleyball and basketball. There is always something to do.
The staff where all very helpful and friendly. The servers in the buffett were from other countries but we never had any langauge problems others have described here. Overall the staff was a definite "A".
Overall a very good place for a family vacation.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bbref
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Stayed in one of the newly completed Chula Vista Resort condos. What beautiful amenities to the newly expanded facility. The indoor water park is incredible, but not too big for the kids to get lost in. The outdoor water park is great, having slides, not a bunch of re-packaged tube slides...similar to the Wilderness or the Kalahari.

The scenery around the resort, over the Wisconsin River is beautiful. Nothing that the other "mega-resorts" can even offer.

Also played golf on-site. What a nice course. I'm not a champion, found it challenging, but not impossible.

Chula Vista has found their niche. Can't wait to see the next wave of additions/improvements. Keep up the great/incredible work!!!

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank spadoni
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I've heard alot of negative reviews in early 2007, but the reviews seemed to get better late in the year. We spent six days at this resort in August and had a wonderful time.

Pros:

Great indoor waterpark! Many great, modern slides. Fun for all ages. Very compact inddor waterpark. Not much walking around. Staff accommodating.

Renovations excellent. Old parts were renovated and seem new. New parts very clean and new.

They seem to have increased staff as we had no problems with check-in, at restaurants or at waterparks. They seemed to have staffed up to meet the needs of their expansion.

Get the Chula vista beverage cup. For ten bucks, all beverages are free refills. This saved us over $50 dollars over the 6 days.

Mini-golf course very nice.

Cons:

Outdoor waterpark relatively small compared to Kalahari and Wilderness. Only three major slides and two kiddie areas. Getting lounge chairs took a while.

Indoor waterpark was loud inside, but we managed.

IN general, all of the negative comments I've read about seemed to be non existant. I highly recommend this resort. They now provide compitition to the Wilderness and the Kalahari. Based upon their waterparks alone, I would suggest going to this report in cold weather and go to the other two in warm weather.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank grozgroz
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This place is worthless. With all the great resort parks at the Dells, why would anyone stay here?? We booked a 3 bdrm condo at the resort and yes it was beautiful and new. BUT you're here for the waterpark which is small and disorganized. The food was overpriced and terrible. The staff was ridiculous. First of all the girl was new and promised us a great room w a view and even circled the location on the map. Three hours later when we picked up our keys our room ended up opposite side of building w wrong view. They of course couldn't accomodate us, they were uncaring and too concerned with talking to maintenance people via walkie talkie rather than address our concern. Stay at the Kalihari or Wilderness, we've always stayed there and this year wanted to try something new. Never again this place is so lame.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank TonyTChicago_IL
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I live in WIsconsin and have traveled to Wisconsin Dells several times a year since I was a child. I have stayed in many of the hotels and motels in the Dells, and Chula Vista is by far the best place I have stayed.

My friends and I rented out a two bedroom condo in February. The condos were almost brand new and absolutely beautiful. We didn't ever want to leave! They are extremely spacious and can comfortably sleep 8 people. There is a jacuzzi and a fireplace in the great room. We didn't have a maid service, but the room was immaculate when we arrived.

The indoor waterpark opened sometime last year, I believe. It is perfect; not insanely large, but not small enough where you don't feel as if you are missing out compared to some of the other area resorts. There is a lazy river that runs around the entire pool, lots of play areas for kids, and several waterslides. There a nice sized game room and snack area right outside the waterpark, and there is a small bar inside of it for those who like to enjoy a couple of drinks after their swim.

There are several restaurants and a bar area in the hotel as well; however, I usually opt for going into town (this hotel is about a ten minute drive to downtown Dells) and trying the bars and restaurants there.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. They usually have great specials and it is worth every penny. It is absolutely beautiful and I was even told during my last stay that they were going to build a riverwalk on the grounds, as the hotel is right next to the river. That will be absolutely beautiful in summer!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank tropicalgirl625
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Myself and 5 children,(7 yr old son,9 yr old daughter and her friend and 13 yr old daughter and her friend), stayed in a 2bd condo,river view, 1st floor room. The room was amazing,more than I expected! (My expectations were on the low side because of the reviews I had read) There was only 2 people working check in and the one I had was slow, she did not know how to do part of the payment with a gift card and the other part with cash and she took what felt like forever, the other girl was very efficient, so I wish I had got in her line. But that was the only slightly annoying part of our stay. We brought all our own food and drink since we had a full kitchen and it did not bother any of us at all to walk the short distance across the parking lot to keep comming back to our room when we were hungry and thirsty. Sometimes we would take the underground chunnel for fun to and from the waterpark. It really is not that bad of a walk like other people are saying. The waterpark itself was great, everyone in our group found plenty to do. Im kind of a thrill seeker and have done the skycoaster and bungie chair and all the scarry rides at six flags but I initially chikened out of doing the Durango drop. After several little kids went pass me (mine included) I finally decided I had to do it-never again, it scarred the heck out of me. Both indoor and outdoor parks had fun stuff for all ages.I thought there slides were alot more fun than the Kalaharis. I really did not have much interaction with the staff since we had brought all of our own food and beverages and we requested not to have housekeeping, I dont like strangers comming into my room, so when I saw them in the am I just asked if I could swap them our dirty towels for some clean ones and that was it. I would not do the all inclusive unless I had money to waste. I paid close attention to things so to see if I would do anything different next time and honestly, my kids would have never ate or drank enough durring our waterpark time to have spent the money, they were too busy. We would take a break after a couple hours and go back to our room have a drink and something to eat, recouperate and go back. I did check out the prices though on food and beverage and found it to be expensive but within norm of every other vacation spot we have been to. We walked past the buffet area out of couriosity and the food looked absolutely delicious though.The scenery was beautifull. We took lots of walks ( the kids called it adventures) and would just check everything out. One thing I loved was the quiet. We heard nothing in our room and several times I would sit out on the patio and have a cigarette and would not see a soul, just trees and river.The opposite side (parking lot side) is where you want to be if want more action. Along that sides boardwalk is volleyball, shuffleboard, basketball pool and a toddler lazy river.If I was in my 20's again or single I would have prefered that side. I am going back this winter and hope to plan a longer trip there next summer and I will request the same type of room and will be bringing our own food again it just worked for us.

Stayed: July 2007