“Chula Vista Resort OVER-RATED”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Chula Vista Resort was very over-rated.
As mentioned in the previous review~only one indoor waterpark was open and the biggest draw~the indoor roller-coaster..CLOSED!
The food was awful, cold and unpalatable. When we ordered off the menu as opposed to the buffet. The food was no better, I had the shrimp which was described by COLLOSAL SHRIMP, well they were not that big and there were only 4 of them! My friend had the NY strip steak and said that was not that great either.
The drinks were watered down (I suppose you should expect that with an all inclusive deal).
The room was really on the smallish side (in my opinion). We did have a balcony though...it faced the parking lot!
When we first arrived much to our chagrin~ there was a Lutheran Youth group there. There was 800 of them in the floors right above ours! They were rude, disruptive and loud.
For 2 people 2 nights we paid about $500.00~I think that was a little ridiculous. But we did not know what to expect and thought "What the heck, we would splurge a little" Big Mistake!
How wrong we were.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank tfox799947
There are newer reviews for Chula Vista Resort

Reviewed March 9, 2007

My family and another family stayed at the Chula Vista for a weekend getaway. We go to the Dells a few times a year and decided to try the Chula Vista for a change. (Usually stay at The Great Wolf Lodge) We very much regretted our stay there. The rooms were ok, pretty standard, we did upgrade for a balcony with a view. The view is very nice. The worst was the hotel personel. The only restraunt open that weekend was the masa grill. (dinner $18.95 a plate) buffett style. Food was terrible and not even warm. Very dissapointing meal and when my husband reported our dismay to the staff, he was brushed off. The hotel is way out of town, very secluded (which is nice) however, if you want something simple like a bagel for beakfast, you can only get it through room service for about $7.50 after the room charge. My daughter was ill the last morning we were there and I went down to the buffet restraunt and asked if I could just purchase some toast or a bagel for her and they would not budge, I had to pay the buffet price for just a piece of toast. There was a Starbucks near the lobby, they suggested I try there. They had 2 donuts available and the lady working the counter said they were being thrown out because they were stale. They had nothing else but coffee. The hotel staff brushed every issue we had off, weren't able to help resolve any issues, even the minor ones. We felt rather "unwelcome here". If going to the Dells, I would recommend The Great Wolf Lodge before The Chula Vista. The staff is much more on top of things and there are many more options for the guest. Perhaps the Chula Vista is better run during their in season. They also had closed one of their 2 indoor waterparks, which was not disclosed to us prior to our stay. The children were dissapointed in that. The drive to town is a long one. This resort should better be able to accommadate it's guests, especially being that it is an all inclusive resort.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank vacationfrenzie
Reviewed March 8, 2007

my family of 5 stayed at the Chula Vista theme resort for 3 nights and 4 days. the web site looks awesome. but don't be fooled. we where put into a room that had a broken heater, phone and fridge. the only way to keep the room from being 90 degrees was to have the windows open. (its winter) the fride was under the bathroom sink and the phone didn't work. we had to walk about 4 blocks and through the packed sports bar to get to the indoor waterpark. I requested another room which was even further from the waterpark although the heater worked. but the toilet overflowed 3 times. the hotel manager offered me a $50.00 off my next stay to which I refused because there is no way I would ever go back. we tried the food at the "famous Grand Buffet" the crab legs had barnacles on them and both my husband and my daughter got sick after having the mashed potatoes. I decided to try out the spa and have a pedicure. the nail tech called my room and asked me to move up my appt. because she had someone after me and it would work out better for her that way. (very unprofessional) the pedicure I was suppose to get was scheduled for and hour but after only 30minutes she was done. she then tried to charge me for the more expensive service. the water park was a lot smaller than advertised and my entire family got an all over body rash from the hot tub. it was just one thing after another. I will never ever go there again and I would suggest that no one else does either

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank KellyNewRichmond
Reviewed March 1, 2007

My family of four (two boys age 7) stayed at the Chula Vista Resort on February 18-19 and had a wonderful time. My expectations were not high, as I had read mixed reviews of the place and wondered why it was so inexpensive ($99) compared to the other hotel/waterpark options.

I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived late afternoon. The wait at check in was approximately five minutes with three people on duty. Our room was in the new "condo" building at the very end of the line of several buildings, far from the main entrance (we didn't know that you could check in at other points). The room was fairly large with very high ceilings, two queen beds and a separate sitting area with a desk, coffee table and sofa, which I assume was a sleeper, but can't say for sure. We had a view of the woods and water with a small patio, which probably would have been nice had we been there in the summer. One featured I liked, for a room that wasn't an all-out condo, was a sink in the hall in our room as well as the bathroom sink.

In the past year I've stayed everywhere from a Super8 in a small town to the Peninsula in Chicago so I consider myself knowledgeable about the range of accomodations that are out there and I thought this place was very nice. We stayed there for $99, which I thought was quite a deal at any time, but I'd pay more than that during the high season to stay here.

The water park was fun. I don't have much experience with waterparks, so I can't compare it to others at the Dells, but my family had fun in the lazy river, on the tube slides and watercoaster, etc. There's also a big bucket of water that randomly dumps on eagerly anticipating or unknowing souls below. The pool area was very clean. I only saw one hot tub and it was awfully crowded, though I didn't feel like the rest of the waterpark was overly so. Although our room was located at the very end of the hotel complex, the walk to the waterpark didn't seem unduly long. Another nice thing, which may be standard at all waterparks, is that you are free to use the facility all day on the day of your checkout. We checked out at 10:00 and stayed through mid afternoon.

We ordered pizza from Moose Jaw and they arrived within the hour, like they promised. The pizza was just o.k., but their "Wisconsin Dells" rootbeer was great.

All in all, a very nice stay. I would bet this is a good choice for people with children under 14 or so (with respect to the indoor waterpark) and a good value for anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank KPL
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We recently stayed at Chula Vista the weekend (2/24-2/25) of the blizzard. We have been to Chula Vista many times, and before the remodel, often compared the service and experience close to Disney World. When we booked the Two Queen Suite we were told we would be staying in the new condo section. Upon arrival we were excited by the new rooms, but that excitement quickly died. After venturing out on Saturday, we returned to our rooms to find out that there is no housekeeping in the "Condo" section. They replace the towels, and change the garbage. Period. On top of having to park 1-2 blocks away from our building, and walking in blizzard conditions, after the parking lot was plowed, most cars were snowed in and each patron had to shovel themselves out. Even though the weather conditions were "blizzard", Chula Vista did not extend any check-out times, and were charging $25 per hour for any check-out after 11 am. Needless to say, the parking lot was a hazard.... I can honestly say that in this case, "Bigger is not Better". We miss the Chula that was before the remodel. Time to find a new place.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank jodtami
Reviewed February 15, 2007

It seemed like there were some mixed reviews so I was a little skeptical before we arrived.

Pro's -
*The condos are new and we got a 2 bedroom on a Saturday for just $176. It had a huge hot tub, full kitchen, two full baths, flat screen TV's, and a fire place.
*The indoor water park was great. It might be smaller than the Black Wolf or Kalahari (our favorite Wisc Dells destination) but it packed some great slides, lazy river, and water coaster. The underground walk from the condos to the water area was not bad at all.
*Check in was fast and we arrived at 4.

Cons -
*The food was not good and hence with the prices they were charging, not a good value.
*Beware that the golf villas require you to go outside to get to water facilities. We heard a family complaining about not being told.
*The game room was small and expensive.

If we find a good price again in the Summer we will probably come back but not if BW or Kal have similar sales.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank jsilva12
Reviewed February 5, 2007

I was looking for a weekend get-away to surprise my husband with for a Christmas present. So I booked this weekend getaway at the Chula Vista back in December, after I read their website advertising the "$99 All Inclusive" deal. Well, after getting the operator on the phone and booking our room, I found out it was actually $289 per person for all inclusive for February! Once she outlined everything we "should" have gotten on our trip, I figured it would probably be worth the money. What was I thinking?? A person can go to a nice resort in MEXICO on an all inclusive package for $700, and this was a nightmare for over $600! And I am not by any means spoiled or used to the "high life." We are not in any way used to being "spoiled". We are average, middle-classed people who work hard for our money in a midwestern WI town, and we don't get away very often. So please don't think we were expecting the Hilton. But we were expecting decent service and a trip worth $600. I will detail our observations/problems by day:

Friday:
We arrived late in the evening around 8:30 p.m. and were glad to see that the buffet was still open to eat. The checkout lady told us it would be open until about 9:00, so after she left us with a girl whose named tag read "TRAINEE" and the trainee just looked at us and shrugged and said, "I don't know what I'm doing," we waited until almost 9:00 before we finally got waited on and got our room key cards. They also made sure to point out how lucky we were to be staying in the new golf villas across the way because of the jacuzzi that is "right as you step out your door." Now, keep in mind, it was below zero the entire weekend, but we were willing to give it a try...BUT, as we found out that night when we attempted to go in, it was CLOSED all weekend! So we spent all weekend calling for a shuttle to take us across the way to the main building to eat or go to the waterpark, etc. since it was FREEZING outside. When the operator booked our room for us in December, she made a point of telling me that these new villas were the place to be because of this jacuzzi outside our door. So needless to say, we were pretty disappointed to find out upon arrival that it was not only an unprivate jacuzzi, but that it was closed entirely.

We did get into the restaurant at 9:00, but of course, they were trying to close up and get people out of there, so we got the old food and horrible service. So after we ate, we went to bed (after finding out the jacuzzi was closed!)

Saturday:
We went to breakfast, which was good, then tried to use the fitness facility I read about. Everyone who wrote about this place was right...it was awful! It smelled like a BAR, and there is no ventilation, so it's about 100 degrees in there. We tried to prop the door open to get some air in there, but it wasn't helping a lot. Machines are stacked on top of each other, so my husband's legs were crushed against the mirror when he sat back on the weight bench to lift the weights up. After 12 boys came running in, yelling and throwing our stuff out of the way, we decided to leave. There were two older ladies in there at that time, too, just riding the stationery bikes, but they left, too, after complaining they couldn't breathe very well in there anymore.

We went to the waterpark then, which was definitely the highpoint of this resort. The rides and the tiki bar and the staff in there were great. We had a blast and stayed in there for about 6 hours before taking the shuttle back to our room to dress for dinner. We had the worst service of our stay at dinner that night. We were seated and told the waiter would be with us shortly, and TWENTY MINUTES later (no lie), we just got up and served ourselves at the buffet. We had wanted to order from the menu, but we were invisible to wait staff. We didn't even get offered a drink or a pitcher of water. We left there and went back to our room because there were two weddings and some church revival group thing going on, so the resort was packed, and the bar was packed so there was not one seat left for us to go in and enjoy a drink. This was the evening we found out for sure the jacuzzi at our villa was closed. I called at 8:30 and asked them to open it, so they told me it would be a few minutes. At 9:00, I called back to see why it wasn't open, and was THEN told it was closed for the weekend. Bad communication all over at this place, that is for sure.

Sunday:
We had the breakfast again, which was fine, but again with the bad service. I don't know what it is about this place, but they hire people who don't SEE people or don't like people, and who never come back to ask if we need anything else or how everything is! It's irritating when you just want a glass of water or a clean fork, and you can't get anyone's attention. After breakfast we left. So we spent over $600 there, and spent less than $200 in food and drinks (mostly because we couldn't get wait staff to GET us food or drinks!)

Other things to mention...
We tried to buy a pack of gum on Saturday, and we were told they do not sell gum in any of their gift shops or vending machines. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it in case you chew gum and need to buy some while you're there...

We are pretty sure someone tried to get into our room on Friday night/Saturday morning. I got up at 4 a.m. to use the bathroom and went back to bed. At 5:10 a.m., we heard someone's footsteps crunching around in the snow out on our deck. They were going back and forth, back and forth, then finally stopped in front of our door, then they took off running down the steps. Then our front door was pushed open! Now, thank goodness we locked the chain on the door, but the door got opened and left open! And these are heavy doors that you need to really PUSH to get them closed. We had been in our room since 9:30 p.m. the night before, and I had just gotten up to use the bathroom at 4 a.m., so I know it wasn't open before that. Weird. We were told it was probably housekeeping. Housekeeping?? At 5 a.m.??? Who doesn't knock first?? No, I don't think so.

The Dells has a lot of nice places, and we will be staying somewhere else on our next trip there. Or for $600, we can plan a trip to Mexico and have one of us paid for!

Any questions, you may email me!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business