“Visit Vista......Great time had”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
chicago
“Visit Vista......Great time had”
Reviewed January 17, 2007

A wonderful time was had by all. If the crab legs were bad for an earlier reviewer I must say they took action. The crab we had were sweet and meaty and easy to crack! Did we get lucky...maybe. My only concern is we all have bug bits around our feet and ankles....bed bugs?

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank urrrlacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Turkish first
skokie, illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2007

Our family stayed in the beautiful 2 bedroom condo. The condo was huge and nicely decorated. Beautiful brand new kitchen but lacking in some kitchenware such as measuring spoons and cups. The condo is very clean and comfortable.

The indoor waterpark was loads of fun for the adults as well as our 5 and 3 year old.

Wonderful time was had by my whole family.

• Liked — clean and beautiful condo
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are planning to cook in the condos bring some of your own kitchenware
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank sayangu2
Illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We were recently at Chula Vista Resort to celebrate my son and my step-dad's birthday. We were impressed with the room, we had a three bedroom condo unit. The new indoor water park was nice too.

However we celebrated the birthday dinner's at the hotel's restaurant with the All you can eat "Crab" leg buffet. That was a big horrible mistake to go there. The crab legs were absolutely awful. There was almost no meat in any of the legs and when you did find a tidbit of meat it was extremely salty and chewy and just horrible. I cannot put into words how bad that buffet was. We complained about the crab legs at the restaurant and the manager told us, "That's why it is all you can eat, keep taking legs from the buffet, eventually you'll find some with crab in them." We paid, which we shouldn't have, but they didn't seem to want to help us with our complaint.

We were going to drop it but a couple of people from our party got sick that night, so we complained to the hotel management. They refused to offer a refund or any restitution, except to offer us 50.00 off our next meal there. Yes, after that horrible meal and having sick people that was the last place we wanted to eat at again. Then whe we spoke to the dining manager for the resort, they had a gall to tell us that the crab legs are purchased from Russia and China and are shipped in brine so they don't spoil. Puke!!! No wonder that tasted like they were stewed in sea water.

It's a shame that Chula Vista wouldn't help us with the problem we had. It was a beautiful resort and a nice water park. But, after spending as much money as we did on the room, to get no service, we won't be back. We have told a couple of people who had planned to go about the experience we had there, and they aren't going either. There are plenty of other nice resorts in Wisconsin Dells that we will try in the future. The customer service at Chula leaves everything to be desired.

• Liked — The water park
  • Disliked — The Horrible restaurant and the service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't eat here.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank GaryEwing

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Quad-Cities, Iowa
Reviewed December 28, 2006

Two of my friends and I (age 18- 26) stayed at the Chula Vista right after Christmas. We LOVED IT! We only stayed one night and easily would have stayed another. The waterpark is nicely laid out with plenty of things for smaller children to do on the lower lever and lots of things for those who like a little thrill on the upper level. The food is priced very reasonably at the snack place located off the the waterpark. For supper we ate at the fancy little place near the lobby and it was about $20 a person for the all you can eat buffet. We looked at the buffet and thought we would go for it, to find out our food was going to be cold. That is our only complaint and it is minor. I would highly recommend this place to family and friends.

• Liked — The Waterpark
  • Disliked — The buffet was cold
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank relaxingalways
chicago
Reviewed December 20, 2006

Condos are beautiful. A home away from home. Would recommend spending a little extra to stay in the condo..

Stayed November 2006
European in Midwest
Reviewed December 17, 2006

Reading through the reviews, it seems each reviewer has his/her own personal scorecard for hotels.

Here is mine:

Room: Excellent - it really blew me away: reasonably priced and brand spanking new. Everything worked smoothly, and we had a nice view of the river. Very few TV channels, but who wants TV when you have a honking big waterpark a few minutes away.

Location: Bucolic and idyllic- on the river, maybe 5 minutes by car from the town, so not really within immediate walking distance of any of the other attractions.

Waterpark: Also excellent. Lots of exciting slides. I went up so often that I was limping by the end of my stay. Also, there was a little poolside bar for the parents. The snack bar served the usual stodge one comes to expect where there are lots of kids and their parents.

Finess facilities: The machines were adequate - not top of the line. Overall it was disappointing for a hotel that size: very cramped and in the bowels of the hotel. It seemed that the fitness equipment from a larger facility was all stacked in here. Normally, being an ex-smoker, I probably have a higher tolerance of cigarette smoke, but not in a gym. I am not sure if it came from the carpet or if it wafted in underneath the doors, but it was there.

They need to do a few things to make the place just about perfect: relocate the fitness facilities and find some detour around this ground floor bar, which seems to be often in the way when you need to get from A to B.

As for the other people's scorecards: I don't really care about walking 7 or 8 minutes to get to the pool. It is all indoors, so I am not fussed. Also, I don't care about restaurants in the hotel either, as I don't eat meat, so you can chuck the finest juiciest chops from deliriously happy pigs at me and they just sail over my shoulder and land plop on the floor.

• Liked — Accomodation and waterpark
  • Disliked — crummy fitness facility
  • Stayed October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bualabus
Illinois
Reviewed December 3, 2006

I stayed at this resort with my parents, two brothers and 3 year old son in July 2006 and I must say I was blown away. My family had stayed previously the year before but i was not able to join. This was before the new additions and renovations. Even they were surprised at how much the property had changed since a year ago. The hotel decor is absolutely beautiful and the waterparks (especially the new one) are amazing. Perfect for my 3 year old too. None of us minded the longer walk to the new indoor water park because of the way they decorated the hallway leading there. At least it wasnt just a plain old, boring undecorated walk. It gave you something to look at. The breakfast buffet was delicious and really not overpriced for the amount of food they offer. The staff was also excellent in honoring our requests, such as more towels in the room and such. Overall I fell in love with this hotel and am already planning to go back next summer with my son and fiance.

• Liked — Waterparks for both young and old
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — coupons and hotel specials make staying at this resort even better for your money!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Michelle S