“Nice water park!”

Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Novi, MI
“Nice water park!”
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We stayed at Chula Vista one night on a driving tour of the US. My family of four (two girls 10 and 8) thought it was very good. We have been to several outdoor water parks and have stayed in Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City MI and in Sandusky Ohio and thought this was as good as GW but much cheaper with an internet special. The large outdoor water park area kept us busy our first day and the large indoor water park kept us busy until late that night and until late the next afternoon when we hit the road. There are a few rides in the indoor water park we had never seen before: a large two person funnel ride that felt like you were going down a drain and a water roller coaster that ran near the ceiling, above most of the slides. Both were so fun that I found myself laughing out loud on them.

This is a big resort, although it really was not crowded when we were there in mid-August. Besides the large indoor and large outdoor areas, there is another indoor area that looks like it was once a small hotel pool area with smaller slides and a cute baby pool. This area would be perfect for toddlers and younger kids (we had it to ourselves for the hour we were there) . There is also an outdoor area designed just for for younger kids too. I would not hesitate to come here with toddlers, they would have these two areas nearly to themselves since the bigger kids go for the bigger parks. There is also a (too small) wave pool near the back of the resort, over looking the river. The view from here and from the rooms that face the river is beautiful.

Overall, the rooms were decent and the water parks were very nice. We did not eat dinner there as there were so many better choices in the Dells and we wanted to see the Tommy Bartlett show anyway (well worth doing). However, there were three problems. First, the resort had been full the weekend before our Monday arrival and they were slow cleaning up rooms for all the arriving guests. To be fair, we did arrive long before check in time and we had no trouble getting water park passes to use before the room was ready, but it was late in the day before people got rooms and there were always long lines of people checking on the status of their rooms. However, Carrie at the front desk was very nice when I kept showing up and asking about getting our room. She finally got us one after lunch. She was great!!!!!! Thanks!!!

The second problem is that the mini-golf was dull. We love playing mini-golf but this course was so dull (not sure why) that my kids quit before the game was over which has never happened before. This activity needs some help!!

The biggest problem was that there are dead animal heads mounted on the walls all over the main lodge. My daughters found this so upsetting they would not go into the lodge area. My youngest daughter cried and cried. I guess some adults like this look, but it seems like a bad idea at a place that caters to children and it does not fit with the Mexican-Mayan theme anyway. My kids said they would gladly drive to Chula Vista again, even though it is a mcuh longer drive from our Detroit area home than are many other parks, IF the lodge would only take down the dead animal heads (my kids don't like them at Great Wolf Lodge either and we would go somewhere else in MI or Ohio.) I hope the managment thinks about doing this - there is no up side to having animal heads on the walls, why upset kids for nothing?

• Liked — The water park
  • Disliked — The dead animal heads on the wall that upset my children
3 Thank Whistler'smom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Just returned from a three-day weekend with my good friend and her two twin two year old granddaughters. When looking for a place to take the girls, I came across Chula Vista, which was having a price special for the entire month of October. I reserved a junior suite, which contained two queen beds, a sofa bed, fireplace, microwave, fridge, and the most beautiful view of the river. As if that wasn't good enough, the new indoor water park was magnificent. There was plenty to do for both the older and the younger. All we heard from the girls was let's go swimming. My friend's sister and her son were in the area, and we inquired if they could come and use the water park. We were told that our room could sleep six people, so there was absolutely no problem in them coming. Just went to the desk, and they were given wristbands.
There was an indoor walkway between the building our room was in and the indoor waterpark. Along the way were some small shops, but what thrilled the girls the most was the taxidermic animals. We always had to stop to look at the bear, the deer, and the moose (plus others).
The girls had fun pushing buttons on the games in the game room and earning tickets, which were used toward a small prize.
We didn't eat at any of the restaurants there, but we did order nachos and fries at the bar. The nachos were some of the best we've ever eaten.
In the evening, there was a small fire in the fire pit, which we added wood to. We sat outside and enjoyed the beauty of it all.
We already have reservations to take the girls back next year.

• Liked — Big, spacey room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
St. Germain, WI.
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of October. Everything was fantastic. The property is is amazing and very well cared for. We stayed in a golf villa as oppsed to a hotel room or a condo. The advantage is the extra privacy that you get. The down side is you have to go outside in order to get to the indoor water park. Not a big deal when the weather is nice. Otherwise, they have direct access from in the buildings. Indoor water park is fabulous. We also ate at the property. Breakfast buffet at the main restaurant and lunch and munchies at the sports bar. Both had great food at reasonable prices. For dinner one evening, we went to Kaminski Brothers Chop House which is a high end steak house on the 3rd floor. The food is excellent. The portions are gigantic!!!! Make sure you ask questions before you order or you'll end up with leftovers for 2 days...The staff, and I do mean "everyone", was exceptionally gracious and always genuinely friendly. No fake greetings from them...So, there you have it. Don't hesitate to stay here. You'll be very impressed...

• Liked — Extremely well kept and squeeky clean...
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wisconsinwiz
Sheboygan,WI
Reviewed September 26, 2006

This was the second time we stayed at the Chula Vista and we plan on going back next year. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo and we thought it was beautiful. The new indoor water park was a lot of fun ( the rides were faster than the other indoor water parks in the area). My son 9 and our friends children 10 and 3 also found it to be enjoyable. They also have a new wave pool outside. It is a bit small but great for kids under 12. This hotel is also the only water park by the Wisconsin river (nice view). The only thing I don't recommend you doing is eating at the restaurant, not the best. Great family getaway......

• Liked — Our room was brand new,very nice and the water park was great.
  • Disliked — The staff was forgein, hard to understand.
Madison, Wi
Reviewed September 12, 2006

The hotel was clean and the service was great (we asked to be switched from a parking lot view to a river view....no problem). We loved the water parks, but spent most of our time in the hot tub. The smaller indoor water park was our favorite, since we didn't have kids with us, and it was less crowded.

The only negative was the food. The prices at the upper end restaurant (Kaminsky Bros.) are out of line for the area and what you get. The 'all you can eat' buffet was poorly handled. I didn't see one food service employee check or refill the steam table during our dinner. The beef was dried out, the crab legs were tasteless and over steamed. The only positive at the entire buffet was the peel and eat shrimp.

I also didn't care to spend $3.50 every time I wanted a cup of coffee (Starbuck's), so we bought a pound of coffee, milk and sugar, and made our own.

It was fun, we had a good time, but I'd suggest going into town to eat.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The food
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan to eat someplace else.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank madisonkathy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We have been staying at The Chula Vista for years, the reason we started going there, was for the Beautiful view of the River, very secluded place, you are out in the Country. They have greatly improved on the Waterpark Outdoor and Indoor, they just opened a Multi Million Dollar Indoor Water Park, we ranged in age of 12 to 84 years old, even Grandma had fun on the Lazy River Water ride, which is you take a inner tube, hold on, and lazily float along :) The 12 year old loved the slides, and everything in the Water Park. We stayed in a Studio Condo, with a Riverview and Balcony, when we first checked in they did give me a room right next to ongoing construction (they are still building some of the Condos, I asked to be moved, and we were moved to the other side of the building, why we were not given that room in the first place, I dont know. We ate at the Buffett for Breakfast 3 adults 1 child, we thought it was reasonable enough at 7.95 per adult, most places charge 9.95 for Breakfast Buffett. Overall we will definetly go back to Chula Vista PS: I dont think they let anyone who is not a guest into the pool area, I hope it stays that way !!!!

• Liked — The Indoor water park
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank BOZO1989
northwest ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2006

Just got back from CHULA VISTA @ THE DELLS. We waited in line for 30 minutes just to check in and had to come back 4 hours later to get our room key. Then we waited 30 minures just to get our room key.Never ate at the hotel until the day of departure because we were trying to save money We ate tge breakfast buffet to save a little time but when we got he bill I was surprised to see a $7 surcharge because there were 7 people at the same table. (5 under the age of 8) It was buffet not a sit down breakfast where it had to be brought to us. On top of the ridicuous cost of the buffet (4.95 for a 2 yr old) . Breakfast for 2 adults and 5 children was $52.00 The only drinks were 2 cups of coffee. ($3.00) . I talked to the front desk and they just keep saying I am sorry and acted like they didn't care. I told them they just lost a repeat customer and was treated like they didn't care at all. I wanted to talke to a manager and was handed a complaint card. I called and ask for a manager and they are always in a meeting (convenient huh) I will never return to this place again because there is no customer concern all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Disliked — price and the concern for the customer
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go to this hotel
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank littleuglyhouse