We stayed at Chula Vista one night on a driving tour of the US. My family of four (two girls 10 and 8) thought it was very good. We have been to several outdoor water parks and have stayed in Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City MI and in Sandusky Ohio and thought this was as good as GW but much cheaper with an internet special. The large outdoor water park area kept us busy our first day and the large indoor water park kept us busy until late that night and until late the next afternoon when we hit the road. There are a few rides in the indoor water park we had never seen before: a large two person funnel ride that felt like you were going down a drain and a water roller coaster that ran near the ceiling, above most of the slides. Both were so fun that I found myself laughing out loud on them.
This is a big resort, although it really was not crowded when we were there in mid-August. Besides the large indoor and large outdoor areas, there is another indoor area that looks like it was once a small hotel pool area with smaller slides and a cute baby pool. This area would be perfect for toddlers and younger kids (we had it to ourselves for the hour we were there) . There is also an outdoor area designed just for for younger kids too. I would not hesitate to come here with toddlers, they would have these two areas nearly to themselves since the bigger kids go for the bigger parks. There is also a (too small) wave pool near the back of the resort, over looking the river. The view from here and from the rooms that face the river is beautiful.
Overall, the rooms were decent and the water parks were very nice. We did not eat dinner there as there were so many better choices in the Dells and we wanted to see the Tommy Bartlett show anyway (well worth doing). However, there were three problems. First, the resort had been full the weekend before our Monday arrival and they were slow cleaning up rooms for all the arriving guests. To be fair, we did arrive long before check in time and we had no trouble getting water park passes to use before the room was ready, but it was late in the day before people got rooms and there were always long lines of people checking on the status of their rooms. However, Carrie at the front desk was very nice when I kept showing up and asking about getting our room. She finally got us one after lunch. She was great!!!!!! Thanks!!!
The second problem is that the mini-golf was dull. We love playing mini-golf but this course was so dull (not sure why) that my kids quit before the game was over which has never happened before. This activity needs some help!!
The biggest problem was that there are dead animal heads mounted on the walls all over the main lodge. My daughters found this so upsetting they would not go into the lodge area. My youngest daughter cried and cried. I guess some adults like this look, but it seems like a bad idea at a place that caters to children and it does not fit with the Mexican-Mayan theme anyway. My kids said they would gladly drive to Chula Vista again, even though it is a mcuh longer drive from our Detroit area home than are many other parks, IF the lodge would only take down the dead animal heads (my kids don't like them at Great Wolf Lodge either and we would go somewhere else in MI or Ohio.) I hope the managment thinks about doing this - there is no up side to having animal heads on the walls, why upset kids for nothing?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chula Vista Resort and Waterpark is a complete resort experience in Wisconsin Dells with over 200,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor waterparks. Luxury comes standard in all of our guest rooms, suites and condominiums. Bring your clubs and challenge yourself on our 18-hole golf course. At Chula Vista, we invite you to laugh harder, splash bigger, stay longer and vacation better at Wisconsin Dells' most complete family resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chula Vista Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chula Vista Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Chula Vista Theme Hotel
- Chula Vista Wisconsin Dells
- Hotel Chula Vista Theme