“Fun weekend”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I was a little worried about spending the weekend at Chula Vista after reading all the negative reviews. We stayed in one of the Golf Villas and it was a very nice room. We did the all inclusive and saved some money. I would recommend the all inclusive if you are staying only a few days. I would think you would get bored with the dining options. The indoor and outdoor waterparks were great for all ages. We had a great time and it wasn't overly croweded, even on a Saturday night. There is a little construction being done but it is bearable. It looks like by next spring everything should be done. It is my opinion that the people that are complaining in these reviews are very picky. Overall, we had a very great, affordable weekend.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markmoose1

Reviewed August 14, 2006

My husband and I, along with our 3 and 6 year old children, stayed at the Chula Vista Resort on August 10th. We stayed in a brand new 2 Queen Bed room. We were very pleased with our stay. The room was immaculate and modern with vaulted ceilings and an archway. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the lighting - rather dim unless the lights are right on you. The bathroom lighting was quite dim. Construction was still going on for their addition during our stay, although I couldn't hear it in our room.

The waterpark is more entertaining for older children as you need to be 42 inches for the larger slides. However, my youngest had a great time in the toddler area, on the slides she could ride (2 toddler and 2 smaller slides that I counted) and LOVED the lazy river. Unlike other waterparks we've stayed at, the air and water temperatures were nice and I could walk around without getting cold even after getting wet. They really pack a lot into 80,000 square feet. It was a little cold the afternoon we were there, so didn't try the adjacent outdoor park, but it looked like fun and had a miniature golf course.

We did not eat at the restaurant. While it's pricey, I recommend dinner at Ishnala. For breakfast, the IHOP was very good and the service very friendly and attentive.

We did order coffee from the "Starbucks" before we left. It's basically a small counter by their gift shops where they attempt to make Starbucks coffee. The service was extremely slow as it took 10 minutes to get a Caffe Mocha which kind of tasted right. I'd recommend that if a hotel offers Starbucks coffee then they should also plan on offering Starbucks service.

Overall, I highly recommend the hotel and waterpark and hope to stay again.

5  Thank IowaVacationer
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We just stayed in one of the new three-bedroom condos at Chula Vista and loved the property. While the hotel check-in was backed up, condo check in was quick and the staff was very helpful.
The condos are huge (and expensive, of course), but our family of 11 fit in just fine. It's away from the action of the Dells, but we didn't have much time to go elsewhere anyway and was quiet compared to the traffic and tourist traps in town.
The outdoor and new indoor waterparks were great and the family loved the whole experience.
The condos have a late check-in (4 p.m.) and an early checkout (10:30 a.m.) which does cut down on your time there...our two days went very fast.
The construction work continues, but the last condo building is mostly done and, other than some closed pathways and a lack of parking near the condos, everything was great.
By the way, the wave pool is now open!
Only one major issue - the faucet on the whirlpool in our room fell off during filling. The facilities person who came to fix it blamed it on lazy pumbers - it's the fifth time it's happened in five different units since the condos opened five weeks ago.
In closing, it's going to cost you, but rent a condo, it's worth it.
Also, unlike our trip to Branson last year, no one ever tried to force us to attend a time share or condo ownership presentation...that's a nice change!

5  Thank sdski
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed at Chula after the new indoor waterpark opened for a family trip. I was a bit skeptical prior to our stay after reading some of the other reviews, however, I was very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and clean the resort was. We stayed in a presidential suite in tower 3 which was perfect. HUGE family room, big bathroom and clean as can be. Being from Florida, Chula Vista was comparable to the high quality theme park style resorts. We did the all-inclusive package which was a blessing especially having kids with us. We never had to leave the resort for any reason and the buffet was wonderful. I have never been fond of buffets in general, but the food was excellent and the variety satisfied both adults and kids. The service was impeccable. 4 stars even considering we had a party of 13 (the servers were great and the good tips ensured a high level of service our entire stay). The only complaint, if it's even a complaint, is the all-inclusive is a bit confusing. The people at the resort seem to be a bit un-knowledgeable as to what's included and not included so make sure you have a clear understanding when you check in. Basically, all drinks virgin and alcoholic anywhere in the resort are included, however only the food in the Mesa Grille and Howlers Sports bar are included. You have to pay for food anywhere else in the resort, which is a bit weird, but it seems like they still don't have a good accounting system in place to keep track of the snack bar food. No big deal. Other than that, all I can say is it's Fabulous and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The Fab 50's show was really good too, very entertaining and the cast was extremely talented)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank kcccmom
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed in the new Chula Vista condos during the second weekend in August. The condos are spacious, clean, and quiet with a full kitchen, seperate bedrooms, and two bathrooms. 8 people stayed in the 2 bedroom condo. The place is awesome.

The new indoor waterpark was a blast. The new outdoor wavepool was a great time. Some of the staff spoke limited English, but the customer service was excellent.

Would recommend this location!

2  Thank ssumms
Reviewed August 11, 2006

We were not sure what to expect after having read several reviews of the Chula Vista. We stayed there one night in the second week of August. The resort is huge! There was still construction going on, but it really didn't pull away from much. There was a bit of dirt and mud in a couple of spots, but nothing bad.

We had actually booked for a Thursday night, but had Wednesday open. So, we called, and the reservation lady checked for us, called us back, and was glad to bump it up a night for the same price. Originally, we were to have a river view, but the place was so full on Wednesday that we had a "park view" (more like parking lot view : ) The river view is very pretty.

The AC is very loud in the room, which was actually good because our kids are not very quiet! The room itself (a junior suite) is quite large - sink in the room, small bath with tile floors, two queen beds, and a divided area with a sleeper sofa, gas fireplace, and table with a couple of chairs. It seemed to be an extra wide room, and was comfortable. The tv channels are fairly limited-mostly child friendly channels. There are charges for pretty much all telephone calls. Internet was not available in the room, but we got wireless in the lobby of the building - no big deal.

The people at the front desk were nice - I didn't detect any rudeness or anything like that. They were pretty busy, but got things done quickly.

Many have mentioned about lots of foreigners working there. The first thing we noticed when we turned (I think that it must be an old entrance) was this ugly, rather dilapidated apartment building. I thought that people were joking about the living conditions of the workers! Yes, people do live in pretty nasty looking apartments. I asked a girl about it - she is a college student (American) and is staying there for the summer. She said they have improved a little, but nobody really likes them. The management could really spruce things up by fixing up the living quarters for the workers! It looks very tacky, especially when you see how nice the new facilities looks!

I did notice that some of the older parts of the facility are a wee bit worn, and maybe that is part of their renovation, to fix those up a little. The outdoor water park was fun in the afternoon, and the indoor waterpark was the best indoor one we have been to (we have only been to three others, though). It is so nice! I suggest going in the morning because there are not many people there. The water shoes were a nice thing to have.

The location is quiet. A lot of the new places in the Dells are along the freeway. This is tucked back away from everything. It is just a short drive into downtown. Our kids loved it, and we would go back, especially if we got a good deal again :)

4  Thank MommyTess
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I just got back from a very quick trip to Wisconsin Dells and the Chula Vista Resort with my husband and 3 year old child. Before I get to the "bad" let me tell you the "good" about Chula Vista. The price of the room seemed to be fair for what you got. We rented a Golf Villa and it was very clean and spacious. Chula Vista is the PERFECT place to go if you DON"T have small children. There is a great new indoor waterpark that would be perfect for kids 10 and over. However, I would NOT recommend this hotel for young child and I'll tell you why--the lifeguards don't appear to care about the safety of the small children. Here's an example: My husband, daughter and I were on the lazy river and kids were DIVING into the water, kicking, hitting, and pretty much doing whatever they wanted to and in the process my daughter started crying, getting scared...and well, if you're a parent of a preschooler you can imagine the rest! Now, I know that kids will be kids and it's not their fault (hey, they are just having fun!), but it was so wild and chaotic that it was almost impossible to relax and have fun. I partly blame the parents for this, but I mostly blame the lifeguards and their managers. Overall, we didn't really enjoy our stay and would really encourage the Chula Vista to consider making their waterpark SAFE for children of ages!!

Also, one more thing to pass along...Check in time is 4:00 and check out is pretty early at 10:30 am

3  Thank Luv2Go2Duluth