“Huge, beautiful condo and fun waterpark!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #37 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin
“Huge, beautiful condo and fun waterpark!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

First of all, there is a difference between the Chula Vista hotel (first built in the 1950's) and the new, beautiful Rio condos - so don't get them confused! My husband, 4 children (ages 12, 5,and 2 year old twins) stayed at the Chula Vista for 3 nights in October. We had a HUGE beautiful condo on the 2nd floor that had 2 HUGE bedrooms and a beautiful view of the colorful, fall leaves and Wisconsin River. The master bedroom had a bed that I swear was bigger than a king size bed and was so comfy! Also, I am VERY picky about cleanliness and this place was spotless (I didn't even use my Lysol wipes I brought along)! Our kids love this waterpark. The water rollercoaster is the older ones favorite and the twins loved to walk around the Mayan temple and splash in the kiddie pool (and we thought the water was warm!). The waterpark seems smaller only because 4 of the waterslides go outside the building and come back in. What do we like best about this park/condo (besides the in-room Jacuzzi)? The clientele! This is more of an upscale, quiet family hotel whereas the others in the Dells are filled with high school and college students! Hey, we are both teachers ourselves - but we do like to relax and not have to worry about our kids getting plowed over in the lazy river and hearing filthy language. I also like my sleep at night .That is why we prefer Chula Vista!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank momx4WI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Our group of 6 girls went to surprise a friend for her birthday using the all-inclusive option. We were able to have all the drinks (tropical and ice cream drinks included) and food from the Fresh Market Buffet restaurant, pizza restaurant, and Howler's bar (we got some GREAT appetizers there.) We only spent about an hour and a half at the indoor waterpark itself. It was toasty warm in there-water and air temp. Would NOT recommend the water coaster-it's very jerky. If you do go on, don't let your back rest against the backrest. Ouch! We stayed in one of the golf lofts which allowed us plenty of room for the 6 of us and we also enjoyed the fact it had a small, but full kitchen. The all you could eat dinner with crab legs was great but the buffet breakfast was even better. They had a GREAT selection of food. We really enjoyed the large outdoor hot tub and thought it was great that there was a waitress that came out periodically to take our order and serve us drinks. The only downfall for us as a group was that there was no nightlife. The bar at night was just a quiet sports bar. We asked for some music to be put on, but they said their radio was broken. Even though we had the all-inclusive, we went to another bar in the area that was much more lively. Overall we had a great time. I could see this being a fun place to go if you had younger kids that aren't into the huge waterpark frills like the Kalahari or Wilderness. Fit our needs for the 6 married ladies without children overnight!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Wadsworth, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Booked at Chula Vista for waterpark usage. Stayed in Golf Villa which was nice for the Dells. The Villa had one private bedroom, living room, kitchen, and two queen beds in entry way area which was the size of most hotel rooms. The living room also has a hideaway bed/couch and a fire place. A semi private balcony off of both the bedoom and living room. A great view of the golf corse made for nice morning sunrises. The only thing i noticed is the bathroom seemed a bit generic and maybe cheaper materials were used on decor throughout this building. It could be a tad nicer so to speak for the rates. However i would stay again in this unit. Im assuming these units are sold to investors and managed by the resort . The room was enough for my girlfriend and I along with her four young children and my nephew. It is not connected to the main resort however its only a short drive/ walk/ or take the shuttle since your on the golf course. Staying here you can bring your own food and keep the children away from all the money spending side shows and video games in the main hotel.

Water park is nice and 6 passes are included with room.. Several outdoor options including a bar , live music, and several slides and pool. connected indoor waterpark is nice as well with plenty of slides and activities to keep the kids busy. Food is ok for garbage however your better off loading the fridge in the villa and making some quality lunches. Its a nice place and they have plenty of things to do and some very pretty suroundings. If you ask me the Dells is over rated however these so called Dells mega resorts offer better options then the motels in town. You will find many middle aged couples and cougars trying to buy smiles and entertain their spoiled offspring while trying to figure out how to make next months house payment. . You will see screaming, yelling and running kids and parents threatning to take mis behaving children home 17 times per hour. I wouldnt recomend this type of resort for older couples seeking poolside relaxation unless youe going during the week off season.

Overall this is a good place for families to let the kids to run a muck but i just couldnt see spending more then a few nights. Our vacation bill for 2 nights 3 days round trip driving from Gurnee Illinois area $800.00 including food and gas. Would have been more but we were invited to a relatives house in the area for dinner one night.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
kiko
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I usually find the best in places we go, but was having a hard time with this resort since I have stayed at others.

We had a larger group so we had 3 condo lofts on the golf course all in a row at the end of the hallway. The rooms were very cramped. The fireplace was a foot from the end of the bed. The chairs at the breakfast bar were hard metal and very uncomfortable for long periods of sitting. The rooms were clean and did have dishwashers. A 2 cup coffee pot is never good. I would not recommend more than 2 adults/3 children in a condo since space is limited. (We had the children coloring on the floor in the bathroom at one point because it was so cramped.) The handicap unit was the best since it was extra wide and had the lower table, not a bar height one.

The shuttle was always there quickly when you called. The breakfast was a little pricey for the buffet. Beveages are ala cart. Stuff''s Restaurant across the street was great for breakfast. Reasonably priced, local and eggs mad your way.

The waterpark was small. The air and the water temp very both uncomfortably cold for adults and children. There were a lot of blue lips. The hot tub was not working so you could not even warm up. Seating is limitied and I only saw 2 tables. It is hard to watch the children here because it was so cut up. Having been to other waterparks in the area, I would not recommend this one. Our entire group of 8 adults and 12 children were done after 2 hours. All of the children did love the arcade located in the waterpark. (The magaritas from the tiki bar were really good.)

Having been to other waterparks in the area, I would recommend those over this one everytime.

1 Thank kiko_8
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

The lady that checked me in was very formal, and the guys that gave me the parking passes were kinda flirting with me. Overall the staff was okay they just need some classes on the "right" way of greeting people. We stayed in the Golf Villa which is beautiful, until I moved the furniture around. Behind the couch I found a men's belt, a shower cap, and a moist cigarette butt. If I didn't move the couch the place would me wonderful, because it's off the strip and still a decent ride into downtown. And the water park was okay but you had to drive to get to it. I would go back but I'd double check the room and probably bring some Lysol. :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Well the rooms looks nice but out of 6rooms in our condo it was only 4 vents for the heat to come out it took a while for the heat to get into the bathrooms. So if you wanted to take a shower you would have to leave the door open so the heat can travel in the bath room. When it comes to taking a shower in the master bath you had to do it with you legs spreaded because the shower goes down. The shower had no pressure I should have brought my own shower head

WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I understand that some people are just never pleased with anything and could even blame the weather on the resorts... I will admit that the dinner buffet is a little more than I am used to spending but the food is not average by any means. Even the food that can be ordered at the bar may be a couple dollars more than you would see at say Applebees but the the quality and QUANITY more than make up for it. The bar tenders are very friendly and pull out some "cocktail" moves when pouring. They always ask how you are doing and if it is not crazy in the bar will make conversation with you. As for people complaining about the the soap dispenser in the shower, come on, it's about time a resort would have the balls to do this. Think of how much plastic is saved by not giving everyone 10 little one ounce bottles. They are "going green" which in my book should be praised. I have not stayed in any of the condo or suite rooms only the regular ones, they are average but not below average and with the water park and other activities outside who needs to be a bear and stay in their cave all day. I have been there 4 times in the past year and will continue to be a customer. I love it!!

1 Thank WiArmynurse