“great price midweek with coupon/good for small kids”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Shorewood
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We stayed 6/29-7/1 of 05. We knew this was not going to be on the same level as great wolf or wilderness, but couldn't pass up the price. With the buy 1 get 1 free coupon from the dells coupon book, we paid under $150 for the Jr. queen (2 beds) suite with a view. Room was nice size with a couch, but view wasn't much. They are undergoing a huge construction add on including a big new indoor water park, so our balcony was overlooking the road all the construction people used. Also there huge pine trees blocking any view of the lake.
The outdoor waterpark was great for our 2 & 3 year-olds. We were able to let them sit in our laps down the 2 smaller body slides, but watch out for the slide in the outdoor kiddie pool area. it's made of cement with a rubber pad at the bottom of it, so the kids either stop & go face first into the water or skid & hit their hears on the slide. We did that once & we were done. The bigger slides were fun, but not on the level of Noah's ark.
The indoor park again was small but perfect for our little ones. Also, the lifeguards on duty are great! Our last night there while at the indoor park, a group of about 15 showed up and took over the place, so as we were leaving one of them, about 8 years old, goes into the 5 foot area, even though he can't swim. 3 of his relatives were just standing around laughing at him when the lifeguard dove in & saved him. The mom, who was at a different part carrying 2 of her other kids, only yelled at the boy to stay out, never saying thanks.
Overall, it was a really nice stay. This is a good resort for young kids to go to who have never been to a waterpark before, especially with the coupon!!
The towel card mentioned before didn't make sense, but what can you do. Also, it's about 10 minutes from the Dells major attractions & 5 minutes from downtown, which is nice. If you do stay here, ask to stay in one of the towers, the older part of the hotel is really run down.
I think we may stay here again, but not until their new indoor park is completed sometime in '06.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 11, 2005

This was our first time at Chula Vista. We had a nice room called the "Pirate Suite". While our room was nice, some of the rooms which were part of the original Chula Vista looked old and outdated. I do agree with the indoor waterpark - perfect for kids 5 and under. The overwhelming stench of chlorine is annoying. The outdoor waterpark was marginal at best. Three of the slides were not open, leaving only 3 open. My kids were disappointed. One of my gripes was the food basket in the room. My kids looked at all of the goodies in the basket. When I looked at the prices, I told the kids to not take anything as the prices were exorbitant at best. A month later, I get a charge on my credit card for scooby snacks, licorice and water to the tune of $12.95. When I called the hotel to say that we didn't eat these things, the manager stated that he would credit our account. How many other people have food charged to their account for things they didn't even eat or take. How hard is it for the housekeeper to count all of the items in the basket when she cleans the room? Also another gripe is how you have to return towel cards or your account will be charged $20.00. When you want towels for the pool area, you exchange a towel card for a towel. When you are done with your towel, you get your towel card back and then you turn in the card to the front desk. I asked the staff what happens if someone steals your towels while you are swimming. They then told me that we would have to pay $20.00. I have never paid for towels at any other place I have ever stayed at. I do not think we will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank alwaystosagirl1983
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Just returned from Chula Vista a few hours ago for Mem Day weekend 2005.

After reading many of the posts here last week; I was very skeptical of what my experience would be at the resort.

I must have been expecting the worst, (because of the comments here), but I really had a great time.

I was surprised; I feel that all the negative comments were from sabotaging competitors or the resort completely re-engineered itself.

Let me take the time to address many of the complaints that are mentioned earlier.

The rooms: When you do book a reservation, ask for a room in the North or South Tower. The older rooms look like old motel buildings that are replicated everywhere in Wisconsin Dells. The rooms in the tower are clean, nice smelling, etc... I have not been in the older motel style rooms, but I did not hear any complains from people who were staying there.

All-inclusive package: It is a great deal. My girlfriend and are in our 20's - 30's and we love to drink. We easily drank more in just liquor for the price of "all inclusive." I can understand that a family of four may not fully take advantage of that. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is included. Breakfast has a hot/cold buffet. We had our lunches in the outdoor water park. The bar opens at 2:30PM and you can drink and eat at the bar till close. (Weekends, 2AM). For dinner, you can select from a menu or you opt for the crab leg buffet. The crab leg buffet has a full spread including side dishes, pastas and other items. Both choices include a salad and bread bar. Our dinner from the menu on Saturday was excellent. However, on Sunday, our first choices tasted horrible... But, we notified our server of our dismay and asked for something else. Our requests were promptly fulfilled.
Be sure to tip your servers and bartenders. Their salary is not funded by the "all-inclusive" prices.

Indoor Water park: Nice, but rather small. I am sure it is only used in the winter, and not that many people come to Wis Dells off-season to justify anything larger. It has two separate pools, two small slides, hot tub and small cafe. Small cafe offers: beer, pretzels, ice cream, etc...

Outdoor Water park: Nice for a small resort. It is no Kalahari or Noah's Ark, but then again, those places make you pay for it; then they make you wait in line for it. The park has 2 slides, 1 giant drop (8 stories), 2 "sting ray" slides. Kiddie pool, adult pool, hot tub, and mini golf. Cafe has a large food and cocktail menu. All items (indoors and outdoors) are part of the "all inclusive" plan. Hence, get your money's worth by drinking margaritas all day at the pool!

Staff: Good staff, yet I am not really expecting "white glove" service when I come to Wisconsin. Yes, all employees spoke English as a FIRST language. I had not trouble understanding anyone.

Arcade: Yes, could use newer games.

Hotel Design: Yes, guests from all rooms, except from the North Tower need to walk through the bar to get to the indoor pool area. It is an odd design, but I'm sure it has been brought up in a few employee meetings several times.

Food Prices: For those not on the "all-inclusive" plan, the prices for food and drinks are atrocious! Although, $19.00 for all you can eat snow crab and buffet is not that bad...

Will I return again? Yes. But, if I had children, probably not.

• Stayed: May 2005
15  Thank loverguy096
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2005

This hotel was nice, but had some problems. I found the inside pool to be for much smaller children and mine were very disappointed. While the outside water park looked great, the inside one was lame. The spa flooded with little children and smelled like it. The hotel did offer a free movie every night and the kids did like it. The suites not connected to the main building where nice and had a wonderful view, but their appliances where very small and were older than I would have liked. The Wilderness, on the other hand, was wonderful. I would recommend it. I must say, the price of this resort was much better than others and I got a great price. If you like to be off the beatten path, this reasort would be very nice for you.

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2005

We visited at the end of winter and paid for the "all-inclusive" package. The idea of paying extra but not worrying about food was a good one, but I have to say it waste of my money. We paid over $570 for a two night stay for 4 people, the restaraunt food was awfull, and they actually had the gull to controll what my kids could order even though we paid for "all inclusive". You could not take food to the room or order room service. The staff seemed bored at best, rude at worst. The waterpark is small and geared towards the age 6 and uder. The older kids will only have limited fun with the indoor water park. For the money this resort costs I recommend the Wilderness or one of the other options, but pass on this one.

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank gutkin
Reviewed April 7, 2005

We visited the Chula Vista for two days midweek the last week of March. We had no problems checking in even though we did not arrive until 8:00pm. The staff was helpful and pleasant. I traveled with my dd age 9 and ds age 5. We had a junior suite with 2 queen beds in the south tower. It had a balcony with a great view of the Wisconsin River and one of the outdoor pools. It would be fantastic in summer! There were some signs of wear and tare in the room (a chipped divider wall) but the room was other wise well kept and clean.

We chose to take the all-inclusive plan and I really felt I got my moneys worth. This included all meals and drinks in the restaurant and snack bar with very minor restrictions as well as the wagon rides and bonfire evening. The kids loved the water park. There were 2 large pools and a tot pool. The smaller slide pool was perfect for the 5 yo (only 3 feet deep with 2 shorter sides). The larger one was a hit with the 9 yo (a deeper pool with a larger slide and other activities). There were lifeguards on duty who also made sure the pool areas were picked up during the day. The pool areas were busy in the morning and afternoon with a slower period around lunchtime. Though it was Spring Break and the hotel was full I never felt unsafe or too crowded.

This hotel was good with the potential to be great. If they paid a little more attention to detail it could be top notch. For example, though we had a room with a sitting area there was only one phone, which was located by the bed. There was only one television, which would have been fine if it had been on a turntable to be able to turn it to the sitting area (it was set up facing the beds). The quality of the paper products needed to be better. There was a charge for even local phone calls. The walls between the rooms should have been a little more sound proof. The towels in the pool area could have been larger and more absorbent. Housekeeping came at 6:00 pm on the first day and 8:30 am the second (day of checkout). All but one of the lights in the room were controlled by the door switch (making it difficult to put the kids to bed with the lights on). These are all little things but they are what make the difference.

We did experience a little of the usual problems of having kids running up and down the halls at midnight and loud neighbors however these are universal problems (parents not policing their children) and were minor.

I really felt we got value for our stay. I was not charged extra being a single parent with more than one child. The food was very good (not excellent) and you could order anything, with the exception of lobster, including appetizers and desserts. They had a buffet geared for the kids as well, again a hit with my two. The wait staff was obviously experianced working with children and were very patient. It truly was a family oriented place. I felt comfortable throughout the hotel and saw nothing offensive. I would recommend this hotel using the all inclusive plan.

8  Thank ksrc
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 6, 2005

I was really excited to go to the Wisconsin Dells & stay at Chula Vista. I was disappointed by many things at this property.

1. The pools are fine for kids that are younger than 7. My daughter is 7 and she was happy enough, but the pools are not exciting for a child over this age. Plus, they are not very large. The pictures on the website are extremely misleading.

2. All inclusive does NOT mean all-inclusive. All gratuities are not included and there are signs posted everywhere to remind you of this.

3. The housekeeping staff is terrible. I requested a sheet for the pull-out sofa and 40 minutes later went to dinner. When I came back to the room, I found the sheet on the floor in the hall, outside of the door.

Also, the housekeeping staff does not clean the room once you have checked in. They will make the bed (very pporly with the comforter dripping on the floor) and refresh the towels, but no sinks are cleaned, the floor are not vacuumed and the room is not dusted.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: April 2005