“Family Funtime at Chula Vista”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #54 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We just returned from a family vacation to Chula Vista and had a blast. We took advantage of winter rates and stayed in a golf villa in February and decided to book a 2 BR condo for this trip to experience all the resort had to offer. The condo is definitely the way to go. The room is very spacious with seperate bedrooms and bathrooms and was perfect for our family, 5 adults and 2 children. We arrived at noon on Monday and our room was ready for check-in. The kitchen area was well stocked with service for 8 and pots and pans that met our needs. The only drawback of the condo is that the family room area has soft seating for 4. We did not spend much time in the condo so that was a very minor issue. We used all the waterpark areas and truly enjoyed the wave pool and the outdoor park. In the 5 days we were there, we had a wait of no longer than 5 minutes at any given ride. From past experience, we took food for meals but did eat dinner at the buffet which is well worth the money to try. Our kids, 7 and 5 love this place and we may again journey back for another visit. The location outside of town is not an issue as the River Road takes you right back to the main drag/shop area in about 5 minutes. We didn't have any issues with the staff and the room cleanliness was outstanding. I would highly recommend this resort to all that consider it!

1  Thank gocubsgo24fan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,255)

Reviewed June 25, 2009

We arrived on a Sunday evening and stayed for 3 nights in one of the Golf Villa studio suites. It had 2 beds and a pull out sofa, full kitchen and a nice balcony. We didn't use the outdoor waterpark at all, but the indoor waterpark was terrific. Their water rollercoaster was a big hit with my older 2 kids (10 and 7). Because it wasn't very busy -- they got to ride 26 times in a row! My 4 year old loved their other water areas and I would say it definitely beats Great Wolf Lodge hands down. Lifeguards were attentive which was important for us as other water resorts we have stayed at are not always as diligent when it comes to safety. The shuttle service from our villa was great. They came by every 10 minutes and would drop you anywhere you wanted to go. We booked a package where we got tickets to the Original Wisconsin Ducks and the Tommy Barlett show included. Great deals. We found this deal through Travelzoo.com and it was money well spent. I would highly recommend the Golf Villa's. We had several meals in our room which really helped us cut back on costs. There is a Super Wal-Mart an exit down from thye Dells so you can always pick up whatever you might need. We had never done anything quite like that before. Two thumbs up for Chula Vista! Oh yeah -- free wi-fi in all the rooms!

3  Thank ReginaD
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed at this hotel fhile in WI for a Volleyball tournament. I had called for reservations in April 2009 for a hotel stay or so I thought. We arrived at the hotel at 11:00am and wanted to check-in. We were told by a very rude woman we were a half hour too early. We came back and desk clerk in hotel registration took credit card information and all our info told us no rooms available at time to come back at 1:00pm but go to the front lobby when we come in the driveway. We went and did some sightseeing and returned at 1:15pm waited in line for 25 minutes and no rooms. We returned to the front desk three times waiting 25 minutes or more each time only to get a room about 5:30pm. During this time many people came and were given rooms right away, so much for early reservations and arriving early to get checked in. Now comes to worst, we apparently were put in a condo, it very much looked like a hotel room one long room 2 queen beds, small settee and tv. But this resort apparently does not clean or provide any services to condos. 4 DAYS no clean sheets, no trash emptyed, had to call the front desk everytime we needed a clean towel, finally on day three I put all of the dirty towels out in the hallway as the room was starting to smell.

Extremely rude personnel, lack of hotel ammenities. At least they could ask when you call for reservation that being put in condo was a possibility. I did not make my resrvation on-line I called Chula Vista direct. I thought we were checking into a hotel where the room is cleaned daily, towels and trash are taken care of. Everytime I enquired at front desk I was very rudely told you are in condos there are no ammenities.

Needless to say I will tell everyone I talk with what an awful trip this was and find other arrangements even if the sports complex is right down the road. The drive is worth it if nothing more for a clean room after spending the whole day out and about.

I travel extensively and have never had such a horrible experience and I have stayed at condo/hotel complexs many times and have always had the same treatment as if I was in a hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank Ssimm87428
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I really thought the Dells in general was a dump. Chula Vista is really a diamond in the rough. It is pricey, but worth it. Stay here and try not to feel you need to always go into town. My only complaint was that the pools were very small and crowded. Indoor water park is top notch.

Reviewed June 18, 2009

My friend stayed here with his family and was charged an extra $700 for the crack in the jacuzzi that he has no knowledge of. If you decide to stay here, make sure you check your credit card balance!

1  Thank SusanIowa
Reviewed May 27, 2009

BY FAR the worst hotel experience ever. Upon inspection of the loft we found a filthy soiled mens underwear between the mattress. I was traveling with small kids. When I called the front desk they just sent someone over with gloves to hand me new sheets and did not take initiative to clean the room. They then switched us to another room which was also dirty. Management was not very nice either. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone esp. if you have small children. I would post up the pictures of what was found, but it is way too disgusting. I will never ever stay here again and will advise anyone I know who visit the Dells on a regular basis to do the same.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank travelsby2
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Travelled with my 16-yr old son and his friend. We drove through town to get to Chula Vista and I liked that the resort is just far enough away from the downtown hub-bub. Another plus for anyone travelling with a dog, is the boarding kennel about 5 minutes from the resort entrance.

Got a $159 rate with a AAA discount for a mid-week stay in a golf villa with a kitchen, 2 queens, loft w/bunk bed (double on bottom, single on top) for myself, and my teenage son and his friend. Very pleased with the amount of space for the price and the furnishings, etc. looked new. The beds were very comfortable.

The villas have a separate parking lot, are a short walk from the main entrance, and are located at the opposite end of the complex from the majority of hotel accommodations nearer to the waterpark.

Checkin went smoothly. There only a couple of guests ahead of me, although the empty rope walkway that zigzaged several times to queue guests waiting for checkin was intimidating. Made me very glad I wasn't visiting the Dells during peak season.

The clerk showed us where are villa was located, but didn't offer any other helpful information. On our own we found the entrance to the left of the checkin desk to the underground passageway to the waterpark. This was handy because it happened to be quite cool for our visit.

The golf villa complex, entrances, and checkin areas were spotless and looked well maintained. The villa itself was clean and very spacious and although there are beds for 6-8 people, there are some limitations depending on who you are traveling with.

A large dresser under the stairs right by the front door is the only storage on the main level. I didn't need one, but I'm pretty sure there was no clothes closet. There is also another dresser in the loft.

The single-sink bathroom vanity is right by the front door also and is not enclosed so you're brushing your teeth, etc. with an audience if you aren't alone in the room. The bath/toilet area is extremely small, has really no place to set anything down, and is literally the only space where you will have privacy in the villa.

The loft area is cozy and quite large and l enjoyed the view out of the tall windows above the patio door. The wooden bed frame is quite study. It might be easy to bump into the upper bunk bed frame if you forget it's there. I was laying toward the edge of the bed and flung my foot out ... something weird I do when I'm turning over .. and I smacked the side of my ankle pretty hard on the bed frame above me. That's all it took for me to remember to be more careful.

There is a flat screen TV above the gas fireplace facing the beds on the lower level and also a TV in the loft on the dresser. With the open space, TV's playing something different doesn't work well and we were constantly upping or lowering the volume on one or the other.

There is a compact fridge in the kitchen which is fairly small but did the job. Just about every cupboard in the kitchen galley was full with dinnerware or cooking utensils so there isn't much empty space in the galley for storing groceries you aren't using right away.

The kitchen and vanity are dark granite and the tub/toilet were immaculate. Waterpressure was fine.

The only complaint I had about cleanliness was that the vent to the furnace compartment had a generous coat of dust. The vent is somewhat hidden by the loveseat but I happened to have set something down nearby and couldn't help but notice the vent was more gray than off-white.

The teens got bored with the waterpark quite quickly. During our visit, most of the guests were young families or adults in their 20's or 30's or maybe the boys just weren't into being at the waterpark that day. Like other reviewersmentioned the waterpark was clean, well-maintained, and I noticed the lifeguards were attentive also. Being an off-season visit, the waterpark was probably half full. We've been at that Wilderness Lodge waterpark so we have something to compare, and all three of us noticed the constant loud noises at Chula Vista from water flow and pressure valves, something not quite as noticeable at Wilderness Lodge when we were there a couple of years ago.

I could easily see a younger child being fascinated with the waterpark structures and layout and definitely want to bring my 2-year old granddaughter here.

Staying in a golf villa adds a bit more work for staff. Everything has to be brought to the hotel by car, which is parked outside the front entrance to haul away laundry, bags of trash, etc.

Our room was a couple of doors down from the elevator and from the loft I could hear the elevator 'dinging' when it arrived at our floor. I wondered how often you'd hear that sound from the room directly across from the elevator.

We did have some excitement in the middle of the night ... the fire alarm went off. We never knew why the alarm tripped and even though we assumed it was a false alarm we were up and out of there quickly. I'd guess we were out of our room for 20-30 minutes until an employee from the main lodge walked over to shut the alarm off. Luckily, we've only been through one other fire drill late at night .. years ago in a hotel in Orlando, FL.

We were only at the resort for an overnight and I could see us returning for another stay to play golf in the fall. I would definitely reserve another golf villa especially if that rate is comparable to what I paid. It was an outstanding value for both quality and spaciousness.

We were definitely comfortable sleeping in a villa and knowing we weren't spending a lot of time in the room during the day, the accommodations worked out great for us.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family