“Great Hotel, Great Food, Great Waterpark- Room Could Use an Upgrade”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Great Hotel, Great Food, Great Waterpark- Room Could Use an Upgrade”
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We stayed at Chula Vista the week of May 11th for our anniversary. We are 2 adults in our late 20s with no children going for a relaxing vacation. We were there 3 days and 2 nights- mid week.
We got there at 2:30pm and our room was ready at 3pm. We had to come back at 4pm to get our all inclusive wristbands as we got the all inclusive deal. Having to wait for the bands were a bit annoying but not too bad.
The waterpark was great! We are both in our late 20s and loved it. We went to it for 2 hours the first day and then 5 the next. Since it was off season the water park was pretty quiet, which made it very relaxing. The water slides were great and so was the rollarcoaster. I rode it 3 times in a row a few times, it was great. The hot tub is very large and very relaxing. I also noticed the water park was spotless, they do a great job maintaining it and keeping it clean. We saw people walking around picking stuff up and throwing it out constantly. The lifeguards were really nice but also took their jobs seriously when people were not following the rules.
We had lunch at Crash Landings which was great for quick food. They also had plenty of ingredients to make mixed drinks that were included in the all inclusive. We had the Market Fresh breakfast buffet both days and the dinner once. We always found something to please us. The create your own pasta and omelet stations were the best! The food off the menu at the lounge (also included) was awesome! We eat had our own appetizers and meal. They had about 12 beers on tap and plenty of mixed drinks included in the all inclusive, even blended drinks like Daiquiris were included. The employees were also all very nice and very helpful. There were 2 conventions going on while we were there and it never bothered us.
We stayed in one of their themed rooms, Southern Plantation, for a few more dollars. It could definatly use some updating but it did not damper our stay. We found it humorous and decided next time we would stay in the standard room since we were not in the room very often. The in room jacuzzi was very nice and very clean. The room included a dehumidifier which was very nice as the hotel is on the river.
We also used the outdoor hot springs for adults only. We were the only ones in the hot tub and one of two couples in the area. It was nice and quite at night and the fire place was an added touch. We did not use the spa, it seemed a bit pricey. We did look in the shops, they have quite a few which is nice. We also did not eat at the steak house as it was not included in the all inclusive, but we did not mind at all.
Over all we enjoyed our stay at Chula Vista. We felt we more than got our monies worth. We loved the food, water park, and the people that worked there. We will certainly be doing back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phisigsweety

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Our family, including our three children under the age of five, just got back from a three-night stay at the Chula Vista Resort...April 26th through the 29th. Since we have young children who are not in school yet we like to take advantage of the off-season pricing and in this case we waited until the spring break crowds were gone.

We chose the Chula Vista for a change of pace and wanted to see what it was like being off the beaten path from the rest of Dells. We stayed in a two-bedroom El Grande Condominium, which by far has been the biggest two-bedroom accommodation we have yet to enjoy while vacationing (room 2205).

Check-in was a breeze and we were able to get right to our room. The front desk staff was very friendly and the lady checking us in was helpful in quickly changing us to a room closer to the underground walkway to the indoor pool “Lost Rios Waterpark”. We had no problems with any of the staff at the resort. Considering they just got done with their spring break crowds they were all very polite, friendly and always offered a smile and said hello in the hallways. They were actually very kind toward our small children. Based on some previous reviews I didn’t expect that, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The condo was very clean and pretty well appointed. There was a strange smell, probably from whatever the last guests had cooked for breakfast, which went away after we opened the windows and let the place air out. My wife is a great cook and we always try to save a little money by eating in. The kitchen area was large and modern with pretty much all the cookware, utensils and small appliances that you will need. It is one of the nicest resort kitchens that we have seen. There are two Wal-Mart stores nearby, one about 3 miles and the other about eight miles away. I definitely recommend the latter, since it is a Super Wal-Mart with a better liquor/wine selection and much cleaner. The two bathrooms, one with a shower and one with a full bathroom, were large and spotless with plenty of towels on hand. There was a huge Jacuzzi tub in the condo that we all got to enjoy (very nice feature). The bedrooms, one with a king bed and one with two queen beds were huge. I do have to say that the mattresses were a bit lumpy with some obvious saggy spots. They are due for replacement. The televisions, three total, worked well, but should be updated to LCD’s or Plasmas to keep up with the times. It was disappointing that none of the televisions had a DVD player. We have small children and checked this out in advance, so we brought our own DVD player and easily plugged it in to their sets. We didn’t have a balcony. However, there was a nice large sliding window overlooking the woods and the Wisconsin River directly behind the resort (much better view than the front of the resort which overlooks the parking lot). They had a nice pub table and pub chairs set up next to the window, which made for a nice time relaxing with a cup of coffee in the morning while taking in the view.

Outside behind the resort was various areas with nice landscaping and a beautiful river walk stretching along the entire length of the property. It was great for a family walk along the river and for you amateur photographers made for some excellent nature photography. Although the outdoor pool areas were not open, we did check it out. I found the outdoor pool area to the front of the property to be relatively small as compared to the large size of the resort. There were several large slides and a small area for the kiddies with a dump bucket. I really expected the outdoor water park to be bigger. Not a whole lot for the summer vacationers when it gets crowded outside. There was also a wave pool to the rear of the property behind the river walk that was a nice size. There was also a very large divided hot springs pool for the adults with an outdoor fireplace. It is open year round except when temperatures are below freezing as the sign noted. Several couples were out having cocktails in the hot springs pool. It looked like fun…too bad we had no way to ditch the kids for a couple of hours. The Lost Rios Water Park, the new indoor water park, was easily accessible via the resort’s indoor underground tunnel. The indoor water park was pretty modest. It had your garden variety water slides, dump bucket, lazy river and plenty of children’s areas. The Flyin Mayan water coaster was a blast! My four year-old, who just made the cut for the height restriction this year, and I had a ton of fun on it. He also enjoyed the large water slides. My three year olds loved hanging around in the kiddie areas. I believe the water park caters mainly to families with young children, which is fine by me. Being that it was off-season we found no problems getting tables and chairs and got on the rides as often and as quickly as possible. The lifeguards and staff at the pool were very attentive and friendly. They rotated their posts every hour, which is a good way to keep them from getting bored or complacent. Again, I was very pleased with the resort staff. They were all very friendly and sincere. It is not very often when you get on an elevator with your family and the employee from housekeeping engages you with friendly conversation and asks you if you are enjoying your stay. My advice to the Chula Vista management…Don’t lose that aspect of your business! That alone is a big reason why my family and I will be back!

We ate breakfast at the Market Fresh Buffet two mornings and found the price to be reasonable, $10.99 for adults and the kids were $3.95 each (based on age). The food selection was plenty and there was a made to order omelet station and a self-serve Belgium Waffle station. We all enjoyed the wide selection of food and everything was hot and fresh. Although we did not eat lunch at the Market Fresh Buffet their prices were slightly higher also with a large selection of food. We also looked at the dinner selections one evening. The price for the dinner buffet is around twenty-one dollars for adults and ten for the children (age based). Unless, you enjoy crab legs you probably will not be impressed with the dinner items at that price. We did have dinner at Kaminski Brother’s Chop House one evening to splurge. The Porter House steaks were tender and cooked to perfection, the garbage salad made right at your table side was very tasty, the mountain high loaded mashed potatoes were enough to feed an army and the view overlooking the river was nice. One slight disappointment was our server. When taking drink orders she gave me a regular frozen lime Margarita when she had originally recommended and I accepted to order a strawberry Margarita. She was embarrassed and immediately switched them out. Also, we ordered the calamari and pepper appetizer, which she never put through. When she brought out the steaks I looked at my wife and asked her if we ordered the appetizer (I thought maybe I was losing my mind). When my wife acknowledged that we did the server had a pale look on her face and apologized. She asked if we still wanted it, but we kindly declined at that point. When you are going out to an expensive steak house for dinner where you are easily going to drop a couple of hundred dollars for dinner you don’t expect those types of mistakes. I wish the server would have spent a little less time explaining the various cuts of meat and the marbleizing inherent with each of them and more time on getting our order correct. The food, however, was excellent and plentiful. We didn’t have room for dessert, but noticed others enjoying it. Everything was in huge portions. Our feeling is that everyone is entitled to have a bad day and make mistakes. We will definitely go back to Kaminski’s and give the service a chance to redeem itself.

All in all we had a nice time at the Chula Vista. We will definitely stay at the Chula Vista again for the off season, but still prefer the Glacier Canyon Lodge for the summer with more outdoor water activities and more variety for the family.

1 Thank SCA-Family
wausau
Reviewed April 20, 2009

i went there to have a romantic weekend with my boyfriend and chula vista spent all there money on updating the water park not the room. it was almost 180.00 to say per night and then we went upstairs to have dinner and the food was soooooo over priced and very bad. We had to call room service and they were very rood, rooms were dirty and nothing was at all impressing. I will never stay there again or recommend this resort to any one.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 19, 2009

The Wisconsin Dells area is home to lots of hotels with a total of over 8,000 rooms, the most in the state. But the best, and most quaint hotel in all of the Dells is the Chula Vista Resort. It is located on the Wisconsin River, home to the sandstone bluffs that made the Dells famous.

We went there mainly for their indoor waterpark. It is 80,000 square feet, and is the newest one in the Dells area. The slides include 2 tube slides (red and green, the green one is the best, but the red always had the shortest lines), a tube bowl slide with music and lights, 3 mat racer slides which are cool, a water zip coaster (awesome!), and a body slide with a huge drop (a hidden gem!). It also has a lazy river with waves, a kiddie area with 3 slides, geysers, and kiddie dump buckets, a water walk, basketball pool, and a treehouse fortress with 3 body slides, a tipping bucket, other geysers, etc. After being open for almost 3 years, everything is working properly. In the treehouse, almost everything was running, except for 4 water wheel things that spit out water (2 were off, 2 were removed) and also a water twist thing was missing, but the loss of those did not mean much, and most people would not notice. The indoor waterpark is loud, but they are all that way. A downside to their waterpark is that they only have 1 hot tub, and it gets crowded, so be prepared, if you are a hot tub lover. But on the upside, they do have their Hot Springs hot tub area located outside in the back of the resort, and it is open year round. For those of you who sometimes went to their older indoor waterpark (Coyote Mountain) it is no longer there because now it is a convention ballroom.

The room was great (in the north tower, 4th floor), although it overlooked the parking lot, you could also see the golfers on the golf course (it was in the 70s the entire time). Rooms have 2 views, that or the river. Our room had 2 comfy beds, which was great! The TV had around 30 channels or so. One wierd thing was that TNT and The Weather Channel were "stuck" on a graphic, but had the live sound. We thought this was wierd.

A Wisconsin Healthcare convention was going on during our stay, so parking is cramped, especially in the north tower area, where the convention entrance is, but we found spots near the outdoor waterpark cabanas. We did not eat at their Market Fresh Buffet, but it looks good but a little pricey ($18 for an adult for dinner!).

Overall, this hotel has done it again for our needs, and we will keep coming back for even more fun to do at the Chula Vista! Thank You!

3 Thank vballbryan1224
Waunakee, WI
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We met our friends for a two night stay over spring break. We brought our 3 kids age 17, 13, and 7. They brought their 2 kids age 4 and 3. We chose the all inclusive package and were extremely pleased. I was a little hesitant after reading a couple of bad reviews but was very pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a two bedroom condo and it was absolutely beautiful!! Well decorated and very spacious. The kids had a blast! The water park wasn't huge but it was perfect for a couple days stay. The lines were short and we never waited more than two minutes to get on any rides. We would definitely stay here again and would absolutely choose the all inclusive package again. The buffet was always well stocked and had a large selection. Every one was crazy about the all you can eat crab legs! It was a huge value as all meals and drinks(including alcohol)were included. The kids loved the frozen lemonades and smoothies. My 7 year old would like me to add that it was so fun and engaging...it was a really fun stay! Yes those are his words...lol.

4 Thank 2daywarriors
chicago illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay in an El Grande 2BR condo at chula Vista.
It Was me 40, dh 42, ds 12, ds 3. We loved our condo accomodations, Plenty of room for all of us and more. We took advantage of the all inclusive package and we were pleased. The buffet was the best we have had in the Dells. Good variety for both Breakfast and Dinner. The kids enjoyed watching the pizza being made. Kids loved having their own room and tv. The resort could use some more channels on the tv's though. It would also be nice if there was a dvd player in the room. The waterpark was smaller than most in the Dells but we liked it. There was something for both of my kids and there were no complaints especially from the 12yoa. Except that I wouldn't go down the big slides with him. All in all we had a great time and we will return in the future.

1 Thank Bobaron
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I took my 16 yo daughter and her friend to a couple days at Chula Vista for spring break. The front desk receptionist told me we had been "upgraded" to a junior suite, but it was exactly what I'd booked, so I don't know what she was talking about. The room was very nice and clean but watch out for the shower--SLICK!!! I could barely keep my footing. I did tell them about this before someone falls! The indoor water park (this is March and Wisconsin) was fun. LOTS of stair climbing, which is good for the legs, so while I hated it, it was good for me! :) It wasn't as crowded as I'd expected so that was nice. My only complaint the entire time was one of the men who lets people on the rides. He looked at the two girls and decided which one was heavier and needed to sit in the back by saying, "you're in the back, you're bigger." My daughter was crushed. There wasn't that big of weight difference. He could have simply said, "who ever weighs more rides in the back." Or something similar instead of calling her out. She looks bigger because she's taller but in actuality, they're about the same. The guy did this two days in a row. I was there the second time and I called him on it and he gave my daughter the "once over" up and down look like I was lying! I reported him to a pool supervisor and the manager on duty. Teaching tact to the staff is important!!! Oh and parking was an issue. When we'd get back to the hotel between 9 adn 10 p.m. we had to park in the farthest reaches of the lots and some cars were on the grass. Since this wasn't peak season I have no clue how they handle the summer crowds.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family